Knight muzzy bullet ? for UT hunting

COLOelkman

Very Active Member
I have a .50 cal Knight Revolution muzzy and will be hunting UT this year. Since I've only shot conicals in CO, I've never tried other bullets and wanted to see if any others have any experience with a Knight and what bullets might have worked well for you.
I usually shoot a TC MaxiBall 370 g conical and it shoots well but since I now have some other options, I'd like to consider them if they might provide more accuracy at distances out to 150. Any experience would be appreciated to narrow down my choices a bit!

I am new to muzzleloading, but from what research I have done weight is very much your friend for keeping things consistant. I use a 348gr powerbelt with 100gr of pyrodex p. The load was recomended to my by a manufacturer.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Thanks Kawboy! Since powerbelts are legal in CO, I have tried them and don't care for them. In UT, since you can shoot sabots, I believe they are a more accurate bullet compared to conicals so I'd like to try a sabot. Since I've never shot them, I'm not sure which ones might best fit my gun. I'm itching to get out and start testing things so I'm hoping to find others with Knight rifles that might have shot sabots and see what they use.

LAST EDITED ON May-28-11 AT 01:33PM (MST)[p]I shoot the 250 grain shockwaves with 100 grains of powder. Very accurate in my 50 cal. I have shot 2 deer with them and watched them drop in their tracks. Experment with a few brands and different loads then go with what works.

LAST EDITED ON May-28-11 AT 02:28PM (MST)[p]I shoot a 250 gr. 45 cal. Hornady XTP pistol bullet in a Thompson Center Break Away Sabot on top of a mere 80 grains of Pyrodex Select, RWS cap. I have a older Knight MK85 50 cal with Williams adjustable peep rear and globe front sights. Killed my Utah Moose last fall with this load at 120 yds . Bull was quartered away. Bullet entered behind ribs on near side and was found under hide on front of offside shoulder when caping. He walked about 30 ft. and tipped over. Alot of people shoot heavy charges of powder but they always grouped like crap for me. Groups settled down to about 1.5" at 100 yds when I dropped back down to 80 grs. I'd rather hit it every time with average energy than hit it occasionally with high energy loads! Just my 2 cents.

Pulverizer

5094img_0502.jpg

962img_0534.jpg

1392img_0540.jpg

I have a Knight MK-85 as well, I really like a 300gr Nosler hollow point handgun bullet in a knight sabot with 100grns of pyrodex.

The last year I used a 350grn Hornady FPB for elk, you don't need a sabot for these and they are legal in Colorado, with the same 100grns of pyrodex. This bullet is very accurate and leaves an exit hole like you can't believe. I will be using these again this year.

I shot the bonded 250 grain shock waves out of my revolution for years. They shoot extremely well pass threw deer at 200 yards with 150 grains of 777. I started shooting the Barnes TMZ 250 grain bullet last year as they shoot better in my new CVA than the shock waves do. If you look at my other thread in this section you will see that that bullet performs incredibly!!!! The real down side is that it is a real PIA to load that bullet in the Knight. Good luck on your hunt!

x2 on the barnes bullets. They are ALL I use, terrific bullets super accurate. I use the 250 gr Barnes TMZ and the 290 gr TMZ. My opinion is to skip Powerbelts and go straight to these in states where you can.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom