Knives

slamdunk

What's your go to knives for big game work?

I've been a Havalon guy for about the last 10 years and have really liked them.
I've taken care of approximately 20+ big bulls and numerous bucks with them, yet countless broken blades.

This year i acquired a Browning "Speed Loader" and am quite impressed.
Blades are much tougher and didn't need a change of blades after an elk and a deer.

0DAADE52-1AA0-479F-B112-518FCFD28520.jpeg

the small havalon for years. Rarely break blades anymore. It’s all about finesse. Just switched to the big havalon with the fillet knife. 1 blade did an elk and 3 antelope and no problem. I would say it’s impossible to break but I’m sure someone out there could break the blade.

Outdoor edge replaceable blade knives. All the good qualities of a havalon without the broken blades.
I was going to buy an OE but was given the Browning.
My son just bought the OE and loves it.

The biggest challenge with the Browning appears to be extra blades, they aren't as common as the others.

Yep Havalon for a dozen years. Great knife. Yes blades will break, but like said practice and finesse. Buy them by the 100 count for $35 give or take on the sale. At 35 cents a blade not to worried about using a few blades. Just be careful if blade does break and get the pieces out of your way.

Have both Havalon and Outdoor Edge and love both, but have been using the outdoor edge lately because it is more durable, though I don’t think the OE blades keep their edge as long as the havalon replacement blades.

Have both Havalon and Outdoor Edge and love both, but have been using the outdoor edge lately because it is more durable, though I don’t think the OE blades keep their edge as long as the havalon replacement blades.
Probably because the OE is a thicker steel?

Yep I think so-replacement blades are much easier to change on the OE than Havalon and replacement blades are pretty cheap so no biggie to swap it out real quick if needed.

I have been using a Gerber Vital for awhile. Once you figure out how to use it like a scalpel it is awesome. I still carry a good fixed blade for dealing with legs and the head though. mtmuley

Ive tried the Havalon's but after a few to many holes in mountable capes i didn't like it. I have used the kershaw skyline for years as a daily carry and it also takes care of animals with ease. I have 4 different skylines but my black go to has taken care of 10-12 bulls 12-15 bucks a semi full of antelope buffalo sheep you name it you can't go wrong! I always laugh when I see someone break out a 8" buck knife to take care of animals a 3" blade will cut up an elk all day long.

Ive tried the Havalon's but after a few to many holes in mountable capes i didn't like it. I have used the kershaw skyline for years as a daily carry and it also takes care of animals with ease. I have 4 different skylines but my black go to has taken care of 10-12 bulls 12-15 bucks a semi full of antelope buffalo sheep you name it you can't go wrong! I always laugh when I see someone break out a 8" buck knife to take care of animals a 3" blade will cut up an elk all day long.
It's called "compensation" and I'm one of um with my old buck knife. Wife digs it too when she's eating an antelope steak. Don't judge me. ?

I have a Bick,Havalon and a Puma Game Warden. The Puma is a masterpiece as once you spend time to get it very sharp it goes and goes. No worries about breakage of the blades also.

I'm guilty of causing the taxidermist a few extra stitches because of a Havalon ?

I switch back and forth from the Havalon Piranta and the Outdoor Edge replaceable. Always seem to go back to the Havalon, those blades are just scary sharp. Yes a few broken blades but they are priced right and easy to change out, the Outdoor Edge fixed zip blade is used a ton also.

I know a lot of you field dress and skin multiple animals a year and don't want to be bothered with sharpening a blade and I understand that.

I only average one animal every couple years so it's really not a chore for me, but actually a pleasure. It's a time to slow down, relax, and celebrate. I like to savor the moment and I use a custom RELH knife just because of the connection to RELH and the appreciation for the beautiful knife that it is. I also enjoy sitting around after the hunt and putting an edge back on the knife for the next time. A tradition now.

I picked up a RELH knife last year. Would recommend 100%. Used a knives of alaska hunter prior, was a solid knife as well, still carry it.

Who did you have to chase for those shoe laces? Did he run far?
Funny story. That’s actually the first pair of tennis shoes I’ve bought in 20 years. So used to wearing lowa Tibets every day that after two days I went back to boots.

Case Trapper everything from Moose to Whitetails. Learn to sharpen a knife and you don't have to worry about changing blades,

I use an orange havalon. Bought the 100 pack replacement blades and love it!

broke a few blades!

but for the price and a light weight knife, I’ll deal with that small problem!

I use orange because when u set it down on the ground u can easily find it!

plus, it sure sucks toting around a rambo knife and sharpener all day and never needing it!

at least my hip don’t hurt when I get back to camp from carrying the featherweight havalon!!!

BlooDTRaCKeR Havalons are fine but I could not use one for one good reason. I refuse to work blind in the chest cavity of a game animal. I have seen too many cut fingers on hunters that do.
I will use my knife to rip open the chest cavity with 2 or 3 tugs of the blade and prop open the chest cavity with a small stick. You can not do that with a havalon as it would break the blades.

RELH

Ironic post. I was just sharpening knives last night....

View attachment 17243
Yikes, I hope you heal quickly. Yet another good reason to own a Havalon. No need to sharpen when you have 25 presharpened bladed on hand. My biggest worry is people not picking up their blades/wrappers after they are done. Kind of like those old school pull top beer tabs you see all over the place from years past.

I have used the Outdoor Edge the last few years. I absolutely love it. Very similar to Havalons in my opinion. I've used both, and think they are both excellent choices.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom