Knoxville wildlife area

oilcan

Long Time Member
Anyone have any experience hunting the wildlife area ? I haven’t hunted A zone in years but put in and drew the special tag for August 8-14. I live pretty close so I’ll go take a look around. Also curious if there are any pigs there ?

I also just got notice that me and my daughter got the same hunt.

i want to just see if i can get my daughter on her first buck

i dont live close so if anyone has just a place to start to look so she has a good time to see some pretty country
thanks

All I can tell you about Knoxville in August is it will be HOT.

Not seeing this special draw hunt anywhere, am I missing something?

oilcan, I've not heard of that wildlife area so did a search and I don't see any mention of pigs. It sounds like an interesting area though.

Hunting: Common game species include deer, wild turkey, quail, rabbit, gray squirrel, dove, pigeon, and bear.

It's a beautiful area, but gets hammered hard. Opening weekend is a war zone which is why they are now limiting the number of hunters. Access points are limited so those areas look like a walmart parking lot on payday. Good luck if you go and be safe!

120 hunters drawn for first week. That will be a huge improvement. Might want to hit the burn from two years ago. Get above it early and find one coming from water. Look for movement mid/late morning. ( moving beds or getting another drink. Tough place though. Good Luck!!

PM me I can give u a couple spots to try, it will definitely be hot but theres bucks to be killed if u don't mind hiking

A few pigs pass through - but not enough to get excited about... ticks are bad, heat is bad, and lot’s of people... I’d try to get FAR from the access points before light, and be prepared to bone your deer out and pack it on your back.

Tough hunt for sure. There is a lot of private property that borders it with hunters as well. Ticks are bad, and it will be a scorcher. Your best bet is to find some oak thickets. I have noticed more deer in the oaks than anywhere else. Good luck.

Well it was my first time to Knoxville yesterday
It is a neat place lots of good areas. Went on a 4 mile hike then the heat wave kicked in had seen 12 doe and 6 fawn. All fawn groups were twins. Heard a gun shot across the canyon from me heard it was small forkie and seen a small 3x3 that was taken. When i came back to the truck it said 109 degrees. The 12 Turkeys that i had seen also were under a oak tree all wings spread out just trying to cool down. Glassed up a small forkie around 7 and still 101 under some oaks about a mile up the hill decide to keep moving. Had to head home since my son has travel baseball on Sunday and with the morning going to be in the 90’s at 6am the will be laying down early.
Talking to the game warden he said that in 09 they checked in 49 bucks , 2017-21 ,2018-7, 2019-4.
Did anyone else notice that there were no Acorns on the trees or on the ground?
No ticks
No buzz worms
No flys
Found a tree with a bee hive in it
Found some ant

It is a neat place lots of good areas. Went on a 4 mile hike then the heat wave kicked in had seen 12 doe and 6 fawn. All fawn groups were twins. Heard a gun shot across the canyon from me heard it was small forkie and seen a small 3x3 that was taken. When i came back to the truck it said 109 degrees. The 12 Turkeys that i had seen also were under a oak tree all wings spread out just trying to cool down. Glassed up a small forkie around 7 and still 101 under some oaks about a mile up the hill decide to keep moving. Had to head home since my son has travel baseball on Sunday and with the morning going to be in the 90’s at 6am the will be laying down early.
Talking to the game warden he said that in 09 they checked in 49 bucks , 2017-21 ,2018-7, 2019-4.
No ticks
No buzz worms
No flys
Found some ant
I was hunting North east of where you were and no acorns, but plenty of bears and a few lion tracks , bears are a big problem now .

No ticks
No buzz worms
No flys
Found some ant

Couldn’t get your daughter on that small fork??

D0C5B7F5-5CE8-413E-8946-3334D1700D31.png

Here is some A Zone hunters just west of Williams , about 25 miles from where I live , don’t see much deer and the Elk will be gone soon !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom