Kodi Dockham Sundowner Taxidermy in Casper

alaska_bou

If anyone is considering a taxidermist in the Casper, WY area I would avoid Kodi Dockham with Sundowner Taxidermy or any guides/outfitters referring him.

Kodi had approached me several times asking for the opportunity to do some work for me. Two and a half years ago I reluctantly agreed to give him a try with four animals; a mountain goat, sitka deer, beceite ibex and a mid-asian ibex with a completion time according to Kodi of less than one year. In July of 2018, after one year had passed I asked about the status. He said that four or five family members all had strokes that year (yawn) and he was running "a little behind." At the time I was naive and far too trusting and gave him a fifth animal, a brown bear. Fast forward to December of 2019 (30 months after he took possession of the four heads); Kodi never took my brown bear to a tannery and lied about it and he never did complete the beceite ibex (thankfully). The work he did on the other three is simply the worst I have experienced with any taxidermist. All are anatomically wrong with swollen faces, glue in the mouths, putty in the ears, sloppy "I-don't-give-a-$hit workmanship around the eyes and noses, an exposed form at the top of one of the heads and to cap it off he did not do the work according to what I had specifically asked for. Now he will not respond what-so-ever to try and make things right. I called the G&F after I heard his license may have been revoked in 2018. The G&F said I would have to come in and fill out paperwork before they could release that information but also mentioned a number of other "clients" of Kodi's have complained regarding the same issues with long completion times, impossible to get a hold of and terrible workmanship. The G&F also suggested I consider a civil suit against Kodi. Am I safe to assume that the three capes "mounted" by Kodi are now ruined and cannot be pulled off once they are glued onto a form and remounted by a professional taxidermist?

Here are just a few examples:

sitka mouth
81721201912151251461.jpg

Right goat eye (no, the goat did not take any nasty falls and was properly caped out by 40 year master guide)
815201912231254341.jpg

Unfinished goat ear with putty inside
23662201912231255311.jpg

Inside of wall ped was supposed to be finished with goat hair (I gave him lifesize cape)
18745201912151253451.jpg

ibex mouth
5720201912151303181.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-19 AT 03:43PM (MST)[p]

I know his dad. So I got the chance to see his work a few years ago. He was giving away a free deer mount at a big buck contest. I will leave at this. I got a good laugh. everything you stated is spot on. I told myself if I won a free mount from him I would turn it down

your pictures didn't show up

Thanks for the feedback. Kodi CAN do decent taxidermy if he wants to. I saw a big pronghorn he did for a friend of his and it was head and shoulders better than the quality I received. Kodi's problem is that unless you are a friend of his he just doesn't seem to care and he won't hesitate to lie through the whole process.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-19 AT 05:10PM (MST)[p]>Thanks for the feedback. Kodi CAN
>do decent taxidermy if he
>wants to. I saw a
>big pronghorn he did for
>a friend of his and
>it was head and shoulders
>better than the quality I
>received. Kodi's problem is that
>unless you are a friend
>of his he just doesn't
>seem to care and he
>won't hesitate to lie through
>the whole process.

Let's see the pictures if you want to be credible with your accusations. And while you are at it, if you want to trash him by name, put your name in your profile.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-19 AT 05:57PM (MST)[p]Ahhh i see. The goat has a half a$$ grin

The mounatain goat nose is completly wrong and also they eyes seem to not even be mnt goat eyes.

Derek,

A lot of that can be fixed, freshly mounted hides can be rehydrated and remounted or just redone in problem areas. I have done it a half dozen times at the request of friends.

The area on top of the head looks like slippage, which may or may not be his fault. That doesn't show anyway and I wouldn't recommend fixing that.

The fix on the wall pedestal would be easy, if you even wanted to fix it, which is personal preference.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be mad at Kodi, but you shouldn't hide your identity either, when you put someone else on the line.

Ah, I see what you are referring to. I have not modified my profile on this site in years but I have updated my name on it now for anyone who is interested. I am certainly not trying to hide my identity. I do want others to be aware that what you see when you talk to a taxidermist and look around is not always what you get in return.

You got shafted.
But one question why in the Sam hell wouldn't you let him try just 1 mount out before you dropped of the mother load?
he seen you coming a mile away!

37205hornkiller.jpg

I'm finding it harder and harder to find a taxi you can trust or gets stuff completed in a timely matter, and as far as I'm we pay a lot of money to have things done right so if it is hair slippage his fault or not he should let ya know what's up and give ya a heads up if ya wanna try and find another cape. So ya I'd be piss. I have had problems before myself and never let it bother me but I've been thinking how much money I've put into mounts and got some shotty work that these days I'd say no way !!

I agree with hornkiller. You "reluctantly agreed" to give him some work and then gave him 4 mounts ?! And then another ?? As has been stated a good taxi may be able to rescue all or some of them. I hope it turns out ok for you. Merry Christmas

In hindsight, hornkiller is right. I should have started with just one, waited for the results, then make a decision to proceed with any others. Live and learn I guess.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-19 AT 10:52AM (MST)[p]I hate crappy taxidermy! It's so worth the extra money to go with a quality taxidermist! My taxidermist used to live in Morgan Utah. It was great...I could go down and back home in about 4 hours and eat lunch in Morgan. Then he got offered a job by Dewey Wildlife Studios in Cody. So now I have to go to Cody! And pay MORE!! And do it gladly. A good taxidermist is an artist who takes pride in every mount he does. I had a muley done in '17 that is hands down my best looking mount( I have 19) by Dewey and took my ram to them in Sept. I know the work will be top-notch and can't wait to see him!!

It's a damn shame that you have to redo all those mounts.

We once had a "Sundowner Taxidermy" in Rock Springs. Wonder if it's the same guy?

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-19
>AT 10:52?AM (MST)

>
>I hate crappy taxidermy! It's so
>worth the extra money to
>go with a quality taxidermist!
>My taxidermist used to live
>in Morgan Utah. It was
>great...I could go down and
>back home in about 4
>hours and eat lunch in
>Morgan. Then he got offered
>a job by Dewey Wildlife
>Studios in Cody. So now
>I have to go to
>Cody! And pay MORE!! And
>do it gladly. A good
>taxidermist is an artist who
>takes pride in every mount
>he does. I had a
>muley done in '17 that
>is hands down my best
>looking mount( I have 19)
>by Dewey and took my
>ram to them in Sept.
>I know the work will
>be top-notch and can't wait
>to see him!!
>
>It's a damn shame that you
>have to redo all those
>mounts.
>
>We once had a "Sundowner Taxidermy"
>in Rock Springs. Wonder if
>it's the same guy?

Dewey is worth the extra price. I use them cause I go wherever Steve Werbelow goes. Top notch work for sure. But a few years ago I decided to try someone else out. They did a great job. turn around time was great. So I decided to let this taxidermist mount some deer sheds. I made a deposit and 3.5 years later nothing. For the next 6 months I kept asking for my sheds back. Always an excuse. Always out of town. Then complains wish he had more work. I finally had enough and went to his wife to get my sheds back. It was a joke I had to go that low to bring his wife in. I didn't even ask for my deposit back. If it took me 4 years in the end to get my sheds back, then what would it take to get my money back.

I would agree that Dewey's Taxidermy in Cody looks fantastic, especially with ovis/capra trophies. They are expensive but that extra cost means nothing in the long run. I am going to try them a try with an ibex once it is imported.

I have also used Nature's Design in Cody. They did one mount for me last fall and I was pleased. Currently they are doing three more for me now.

No not yet. I am sending myself to a tannery I have used in the past. I should know in 90 days or so if there are any issues stemming from the original taxidermist sitting on it for 18 months.

I remember reading an article about how a lot of taxidermists are borderline if not full blown bipolar???
Haha..not saying its true..but some of these stories always brings that article to memory.

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-19
>AT 10:52?AM (MST)

>
>I hate crappy taxidermy! It's so
>worth the extra money to
>go with a quality taxidermist!
>My taxidermist used to live
>in Morgan Utah. It was
>great...I could go down and
>back home in about 4
>hours and eat lunch in
>Morgan. Then he got offered
>a job by Dewey Wildlife
>Studios in Cody. So now
>I have to go to
>Cody! And pay MORE!! And
>do it gladly. A good
>taxidermist is an artist who
>takes pride in every mount
>he does. I had a
>muley done in '17 that
>is hands down my best
>looking mount( I have 19)
>by Dewey and took my
>ram to them in Sept.
>I know the work will
>be top-notch and can't wait
>to see him!!

You and I have the same favorite Taxi. The quick trip to Morgan was nice but well worth it to go to Cody.

>>LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-19
>>AT 10:52?AM (MST)

>>
>>I hate crappy taxidermy! It's so
>>worth the extra money to
>>go with a quality taxidermist!
>>My taxidermist used to live
>>in Morgan Utah. It was
>>great...I could go down and
>>back home in about 4
>>hours and eat lunch in
>>Morgan. Then he got offered
>>a job by Dewey Wildlife
>>Studios in Cody. So now
>>I have to go to
>>Cody! And pay MORE!! And
>>do it gladly. A good
>>taxidermist is an artist who
>>takes pride in every mount
>>he does. I had a
>>muley done in '17 that
>>is hands down my best
>>looking mount( I have 19)
>>by Dewey and took my
>>ram to them in Sept.
>>I know the work will
>>be top-notch and can't wait
>>to see him!!
>
>You and I have the same
>favorite Taxi. The quick
>trip to Morgan was nice
>but well worth it to
>go to Cody.

If you are both referring to Josh, I couldn't agree more. His work is second to none.

I used Sundowner for a pronghorn plaque mount in September 2017. After very little communication, I finally got it in February 2019. The mount was just average quality but I didn't think it was worth the price.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom