Kodiak Bears

shedneck

I’ve hunted in Alaska in bear country, but I’ve never hunted on Kodiak with their famous big bears. A group of friends and I are headed to Kodiak in November for a deer hunt. Admittedly, I’m not familiar enough with hunting on Kodiak to have a real understanding of the threat those bears pose which certainly gives me reason to be anxious about being around those critters. I know they are big, I know they MAY become aggressive, and I know there are things I can do to reduce my chances of an encounter. I will have spray and a sidearm and I have read many articles that address being aware of your surroundings and keeping distance from the bears. The articles are mostly common sense recommendations that I will definitely try to follow. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous. Are there any MM members who have hunted Kodiak who want to share their experiences? Us Nevadans don’t have to worry about stuff like this very often! I recognize that 9 people will have 10 different opinions about the caliber of sidearm and the efficacy of bear spray - I’m not asking about that. I’m just wondering if my ignorance of bears on kodiak is over-fueling my nervousness. Don’t get me wrong - I wouldn’t be going if I was so worried about it that it will ruin my hunt. Just looking for some experiences from others. Thanks.

I went in 2019 and I’m going back this November, awesome place...
In 9 days I saw 26 browns including this one that I got within 30yds of... I did not know the bear was there until the boat tender that just dropped me started yelling “BEAR” I would have come over the top of that bear at less than 5 yds. had he not seen him...
4F6293E9-8840-403E-AE1C-0C0AC1FEAC11.jpeg
Most of the time the bears were spotted long before and we could avoid them, my buddy however lost a buck to one that came in aggressively and we let the bear have it...
I also found a dead bear where a river meet the bay, I assume another bear killed it when the salmon run was on...
All in all just stay aware and I believe you’ll be just fine, enjoy every minute of it...
I know I did...

In 9 days I saw 26 browns including this one that I got within 30yds of... I did not know the bear was there until the boat tender that just dropped me started yelling “BEAR” I would have come over the top of that bear at less than 5 yds. had he not seen him...
View attachment 42513Most of the time the bears were spotted long before and we could avoid them, my buddy however lost a buck to one that came in aggressively and we let the bear have it...
I also found a dead bear where a river meet the bay, I assume another bear killed it when the salmon run was on...
All in all just stay aware and I believe you’ll be just fine, enjoy every minute of it...
I know I did...
Thank you for sharing. Great picture. Are you going with a transporter or outfitter?

View attachment 42513Most of the time the bears were spotted long before and we could avoid them, my buddy however lost a buck to one that came in aggressively and we let the bear have it...
I know I did...
If you don’t mind, can you please share a couple of pictures of the deer?

Thank you for sharing the pictures. That looks to be a great buck. I’m excited. I somehow drew a Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep tag that will be open when I’m in Alaska. I’m going with Ninilchik (sp). Is that who you went with?
Damn, that’s a good and bad problem to have...
Keep us posted on both hunts...

I’ve been to kodiak quite a few times for fun and work. The bears wouldn’t even be in the top 10 of things I would worry about there. Hell if you have problems shoot them. They are a big target:
6E832263-0094-4831-BC4A-F6AC81E09562.jpeg

are you bow hunting??....because any rifle you are using to hunt with would be more effective for bear trouble than any side arm.....

I Don't Believe I'd Do what that Brother & Sister Did in a Recent Read Here on MM!

They Decided to Take One Gun!

It Didn't Pan out all that Well for Them but they Survived!

I spent a week on Kodiak days....nights on a boat.....never saw a bear when on the ground....saw plenty from the boat.

Best advise I can give......make double sure you can outrun your friends ! Ha...you will be fine just be on constant alert. I have hunted it twice and loved it !
Went on a fishing trip to Kodiak with my Dad, Uncle and some other folks when I was 18. I made the same comment about outrunning the slowest guy to my Uncle since he was the heaviest and least agile of the crew. He looked me right in the eye and said, "Boy, if you think I won't shoot you in the leg, walk away and leave you for the bear. Then you don't know me very well."

I have hunted Kodiak quite a few times, don’t worry about Bears, enjoy them. Have a great hunt, there is a lot of adventure out there. One of my favorite places. On one trip we got caught in a hell of a storm and lost the engines in the boat, dam near capsized and then we were rescued. I’d take a Bear charge any day compared to that miserable night at sea.

When we went we only had 1 close encounter. I had shot a deer and while we was dragging it to shore the bear came to check out the shot im sure. He got 150 yards away and we hurried and got to the shore with the deer to be picked up. Saw alot of bears and was about as much fun of trip as you could ever have!

No guide here Napoleon, but thanks for your short man response...
hey you can BS the guys here but we both know you went guided. You didn’t pick the area you hunted, they dropped you off. They cooked your meals ( I can tell you eat a lot) and they wiped your butt.

You do know there’s 4 pt bucks on kodiak? Try to kill a buck next time with more points on one side than the number of chins you have.

I would post some black tail buck pics but I don’t want to steal your thunder or make you feel bad. As a guided hunter I would of expected more out of your transporter…

I took my daughter to Kodiak Island over Thanksgiving in 2019. We stayed 10 days. Five days hunting deer with a transporter and we rented a Uhaul van for the next five days and travelled the road system hunting deer and camping in the U haul. We never saw a bear but did see some fresh sign. Had a blast, ended up with three bucks and would have had four but she decided not to shoot a second one.

I took my daughter to Kodiak Island over Thanksgiving in 2019. We stayed 10 days. Five days hunting deer with a transporter and we rented a Uhaul van for the next five days and travelled the road system hunting deer and camping in the U haul. We never saw a bear but did see some fresh sign. Had a blast, ended up with three bucks and would have had four but she decided not to shoot a second one.
Awesome! It probably doesn’t have to be said but I hope you hunted the road system FIRST before you went and hunted with a transporter. You cannot hunt the road system if you already killed a buck elsewhere on kodiak or AK.

I have heard several reports that your rifle shot, when killing a deer, is a dinner bell to some of the bears. They will head towards the shot in a attempt to steal your downed deer.
When field dressing your deer out, keep your rifle in arms length and keep looking around to prevent a bear getting too close without you knowing it is there.
RELH

I have heard several reports that your rifle shot, when killing a deer, is a dinner bell to some of the bears. They will head towards the shot in a attempt to steal your downed deer.
When field dressing your deer out, keep your rifle in arms length and keep looking around to prevent a bear getting too close without you knowing it is there.
RELH
That’s a good one. Don’t forget moss only grows on the north side of the trees too ???

I don't know anything about moss but I think you are forgetting the majority of Africa is in the northern hemisphere.

I think the rifle shot being the dinner bell is B.S. If that were true that's how people would hunt bears. I've hunted Kodiak for deer, there were 5 of us in the group and no one had a bear come to the report of a rifle. Although my brother and I had a bear come to a buck that my brother shot but he came from down wind of the kill site. We gutted the buck and the moved the carcass about 100 yards to a bench below the gut pile where we quartered him up. The bear went straight to the gut pile, we had both hams, both shoulder, the backstraps and tinder loins in our packs by the time he was on the gut pile. We figured he was probably less than 5 seconds away if decided to come. We wanted to get the hell out of there and put some distance between us and him, we ended up leaving him the neck and ribs. We had less than a mile to the beach, but it was through the alder thickets on bear trails, it was very unnerving to be in bear country on a bear trail with all of this meat strapped to your back. What a great adventure , we did hunt in pairs for safety.

I Hunted Kodiak for spring bears a while back when I was a resident of AK. Fished it several times too. Didn't get one and passed on a few small ones. However, cover can be dense so be cautious and use common sense.

In November, deer should/will be at a lower elevation and even on the beach; Which is a good thing. But bears will still be out but a little less active. Either way, you will likely see a bear. Dont let it ruin your hunt though (as you've already said). I think it's smart to carry a pistol and/or pray just in case.

a few things though, 1. don't take forever getting your deer quartered and packed out. 2. haul everything in one trip, 3. don't hunt near the gut pile if you have multiple tags. and 4. (if you want to be cautious, you can wait until first light to start your hiking/hunting. and start your hike back to camp before dark.
You should be fine. i hope you take a moster buck.

I Hunted Kodiak for spring bears a while back when I was a resident of AK. Fished it several times too. Didn't get one and passed on a few small ones. However, cover can be dense so be cautious and use common sense.

In November, deer should/will be at a lower elevation and even on the beach; Which is a good thing. But bears will still be out but a little less active. Either way, you will likely see a bear. Dont let it ruin your hunt though (as you've already said). I think it's smart to carry a pistol and/or pray just in case.

a few things though, 1. don't take forever getting your deer quartered and packed out. 2. haul everything in one trip, 3. don't hunt near the gut pile if you have multiple tags. and 4. (if you want to be cautious, you can wait until first light to start your hiking/hunting. and start your hike back to camp before dark.
You should be fine. i hope you take a moster buck.
Thank you.

@eelgrass i like how you roll. Want to come up next year blacktail deer hunting? I can call them in close enough you can see them. Middle of thr day we can fish for halibut. Boat based hunt, 1000 a person. Those guys on kodiak are laying around 3000 a person. Serious offer.

@eelgrass i like how you roll. Want to come up next year blacktail deer hunting? I can call them in close enough you can see them. Middle of thr day we can fish for halibut. Boat based hunt, 1000 a person. Those guys on kodiak are laying around 3000 a person. Serious offer.
This offer open to anyone else?? I’d be all over that for $1000! Haha

I think the rifle shot being the dinner bell is B.S. If that were true that's how people would hunt bears. I've hunted Kodiak for deer, there were 5 of us in the group and no one had a bear come to the report of a rifle. Although my brother and I had a bear come to a buck that my brother shot but he came from down wind of the kill site. We gutted the buck and the moved the carcass about 100 yards to a bench below the gut pile where we quartered him up. The bear went straight to the gut pile, we had both hams, both shoulder, the backstraps and tinder loins in our packs by the time he was on the gut pile. We figured he was probably less than 5 seconds away if decided to come. We wanted to get the hell out of there and put some distance between us and him, we ended up leaving him the neck and ribs. We had less than a mile to the beach, but it was through the alder thickets on bear trails, it was very unnerving to be in bear country on a bear trail with all of this meat strapped to your back. What a great adventure , we did hunt in pairs for safety.
I think that some bears might be triggered by the sound of a shot, so I wouldn't rule it out, and the rest of your post is the definition of common sense.

SS, that's a wonderful offer.

If Eel can't make it, I'll bait your hooks for you. Might eat some of the bait though.....mighty generous of you on a serious note.

I might need a couple of you to help carry eel up the mountain. Outdoorwriter we could get you a beach buck!

For the guys heading to kodiak make sure to take grunt tubes and deer calls. favorite deer call is the hank masters call or the double drop call is great too. If anyone wants to borrow some calls hit me with a PM and as you come through anchorage I’ll let you borrow them. I have quite a few. It’s by far the best way to get deer after about oct 20th.

Kodiak deer are still recovering from the bad winter kill two years ago. Should still see 12 to 15 bucks a day though. Avoid the north end like the plague.

Good luck and post pics!

RELH
I believe this has been greatly exaggerated over the last fifty plus years by articles in hunting magazines. No doubt it happens from time to time and there are a couple of maulings and even deaths attributed to this but it doesn't seem to be a common occurance.

I would be more concerned with the scent left from a deer kill than the sound of a rifle. Just keep your wits about you, beware of your surroundings, don't do dumb things;) and you more than likely won't get 'et up. Of course everyone's luck runs out sooner or later.?

I was there in November of 2019, had a good time, killed some deer and never saw a bear, which honestly was a little disappointing. Scared is way too strong of a word but it's definitely a different feeling butchering a deer on the mountain there than most places, or at least it was for me. I tried to pay attention to what was going on around me rather than just what I was doing with my knife. Kodiak is a cool place, have fun and good luck!

Many years back, I did a caribou hunt along the Mulchatna River in AK with an outfitter. It was a DIY deal, however, where we stayed in their camp, ate their food but hunted on our own with no guide. They simply dropped us off somewhere along the river in the morning & came back late in the day to pick us up in the same place. Then if we killed, they would go haul out the meat.

There was a lot of pucker factor many times while I was pushing my way thru some thick alders only to come upon a huge pile of bear turds. I eventually glassed up & killed a very big bull up on a mountain about 1 1/2 miles from my pick-up point. I field dressed it, caped it and cut the head off. Then I proceeded down the mountain with my rifle & the intact head, antlers & cape on my shoulders. I didn't get more than a few hundred yards before I said to myself, "Self, you're crazy. Wait for help."

So I put the head sitting upright on a knoll, hung my blaze orange fannypack from one of the antler tines to make it easier to see and walked down to the river. But don't for a second think that while all this was going on that I wasn't constantly looking over my shoulder for the maker of the big turd piles. ;)

I too hunted the Mulchatana. Lucked out and got right in middle of caribou migration, thousand or more right by us. Pucker factor is a plus in that it increases the adrenaline and ages the body.

I too hunted the Mulchatana. Lucked out and got right in middle of caribou migration, thousand or more right by us. Pucker factor is a plus in that it increases the adrenaline and ages the body.
You were lucky. We didn't have near that many. I spotted a small group of all bulls on the mountain top not too long after I began glassing from near the river.

It took me close to an hour to climb to the general vicinity. I was walking just below a ridgeline when I saw an antler wave near the top. So I crawled on my belly until I could see over the top. The whole bunch of bulls -- maybe 10 in all -- were bedded. I didn't do much studying. The closest one at about 100 yards was facing me & looked like a decent one, so I put a 140 gr. bullet from my .264 into his brisket when he raised his head. He never twitched.

To this day, I think I probably shot maybe the 2nd or 3rd biggest one. But I was more than satifisfied. When they got the head back to camp, the outfitter said, "You killed yourself a B&C trophy." I don't know because we never scored it then or since.

An old, not so great photo...

9778trophyr3[1].jpg

That is a great "bou" !

We climbed a small mountain next to the King Salmon river which is a tributary of the Mulchatna. We were in a small depression looking west down the side of the mountain with no alders or brush in front of us. We could see the caribou coming and had about 20-30 minutes before they would pass by so we had a ton of time to pick and choose. When we made our kills the foxes would come right up to us to grab a snack. My older brother and brother-in law were my mentors when I was growing up so I took them on this trip. Got three really big moose----right next to the river. Great memories as both have now passed on.

That is a great "bou" !

We climbed a small mountain next to the King Salmon river which is a tributary of the Mulchatna. We were in a small depression looking west down the side of the mountain with no alders or brush in front of us. We could see the caribou coming and had about 20-30 minutes before they would pass by so we had a ton of time to pick and choose. When we made our kills the foxes would come right up to us to grab a snack. My older brother and brother-in law were my mentors when I was growing up so I took them on this trip. Got three really big moose----right next to the river. Great memories as both have now passed on.
It was kinda nice killing my 'bou early because the salmon were running. So I spent the next few days fly-fishing & catching dozens of big silvers and few other species, including big Dollys..

Edgar, the moose in my photo, is from northern BC near Liard Hot Springs. I also have have a mountain 'bou from that same hunt and a central 'bou from a NWT hunt.

It seems like a lot of us hunted the Mulchatna herd back in the hay day. My solo unguided bull. That was 20-25 years ago and I was old back then too. That's the biggest adventure I've ever been on.
That's a great bull. too! (y) Did you use an outfitter or just a flying service?

My hunt was in the mid-1980s, BTW. I still had black hair & could breathe. :ROFLMAO:

That's a great bull. too! (y) Did you use an outfitter or just a flying service?
Hummm.....I don't know. He flew me and my gear and dropped me off and came back about 4 days later to check on me. He picked the spot. I think he did provide the propane.

Okay, that's like a fly-in service then.

An outfitter will supply the transportation, gear, food, meat hauling, etc. Only thing they don't do is actually guide you in the field. Someone from AK can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's by LAW. :unsure:

Okay, that's like a fly-in service then.

An outfitter will supply the transportation, gear, food, meat hauling, etc. Only thing they don't do is actually guide you in the field. Someone from AK can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's by LAW. :unsure:
The military checked on me one night. About 2am they circled me and dropped flares all around me for about an hour and then left. The next morning a helicopter landed but took off before I could get to it.

The military checked on me one night. About 2am they circled me and dropped flares all around me for about an hour and then left. The next morning a helicopter landed but took off before I could get to it.
That's weird. Wonder what that was all about.

The outfitter we went with was Northern Wilderness Adventures owned by Nick Pierskalla out of Wasilla. His camp on the river was called Maribou Landing. I did alot of searching & it appears they're no longer around 35 years later. :ROFLMAO:

We took a float plane from Lake Clark that was able to tie right up to the dock at the river. WE used large inflatable rafts to get around & to fish.

I don't have any of my own slides scanned, but I found some pix online of Maribou Landing. They had two large cabins, a big kitchen tent, a sauna/shower building & two outhouses.

The white thing to the left is the kitchen.
Marabou1.jpg

The bigger cabin

Marabou2.jpg

This is the cabin I stayed in

CaribouCabin.jpg

Campfire area

MarabouCampFire.jpg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom