Kodiak Deer Hunt Recommendations

Kwelp45

Looking at booking a Kodiak Blacktail hunt for next year. Anyone have any recommendations as to outfitters? I have read deer numbers are down.

Kwelp45

Exploring all options. Just want to have a great experience. Love the DIY….. but if a guided deal opens the door to fishing or duck hunting that would be great. Love doing the work, don’t need our hand held. Don’t have aspirations of shooting the biggest black tail that exist just want a kodiak experience. Never been to Alaska. Hunted a lot out west and have been in grizzly country.

shedneck

Exploring all options. Just want to have a great experience. Love the DIY….. but if a guided deal opens the door to fishing or duck hunting that would be great. Love doing the work, don’t need our hand held. Don’t have aspirations of shooting the biggest black tail that exist just want a kodiak experience. Never been to Alaska. Hunted a lot out west and have been in grizzly country.
We went with Ninilchik in November of this year. They are a transporter, but we fished and had the option to duck hunt. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

WHT_MTNMAN

We went with Ninilchik in November of this year. They are a transporter, but we fished and had the option to duck hunt. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
I've been twice with ninilchik last year was a little poor due to the winter kill the year prior. Ninilchik runs a great outfit. Highly recommend.

Kwelp45

Sounds like a adventure of a lifetime from what I hear. Looks like there are a ton of options out there. Thanks for all those that replied. I will keep researching. Might wait a year or so, sounds like some winter kill has hurt the herd in areas. But it could be like the South Dakota pheasant population........ if you think its bad this year, wait until next year!..... it gets worse!

Togwotee

Long Time Member
I was there last year can't wait to go back. that said I'm not going back until the deer come back. last year was a wreck on the north end of the island and got a little better the farther south you went.
My sources say this year was a little better but the winter has already set in and they're worried it could be another deer killer. wait until late spring to make plans .

I plan on burning some points the next couple Novembers then I'm going back to Kodiak every year until I'm too old. it's addictive .

shedneck

I was there last year can't wait to go back. that said I'm not going back until the deer come back. last year was a wreck on the north end of the island and got a little better the farther south you went.
My sources say this year was a little better but the winter has already set in and they're worried it could be another deer killer. wait until late spring to make plans .

I plan on burning some points the next couple Novembers then I'm going back to Kodiak every year until I'm too old. it's addictive .
I completely agree that’s it’s addictive. It’s an adventure that’s completely doable every year.

Togwotee

Long Time Member
Talked to a bear guide up there last week and the winter is off to a rough start. he says if this holds on it will be another deer killer.

I wouldn't book anything until late spring . and even if they don't have a die off numbers are still down so do your research.

SS!

Long Time Member
kinda strange......huh tog?

They had some early snow that freaked them all out. It’s way too early to tell how the winter will shape up down there.

But if you want big bucks and plenty of deer do not go west or north. South!

Togwotee

Long Time Member
I guess californians don't understand weather can change .

It has warmed up but the warmer air has piled up a lot of snow in places so it's way to early to tell as I said.

No matter what the weather does the only place I'd go for the next year or two would be the southern end of the island. the guys who went there got better bucks than we were seeing around Old Harbor and the north and west side guys got squat. I plan on waiting until the deer rebound then hitting it every year. and the deer will rebound because the weather is the only thing they have to survive .

backinthegame

I hunted with Larsen Bay Lodge in 2019. Mike Carlson (owner) has native ties which allows access to some otherwise off limits areas of the island. It's a transporter hunt for deer, no guiding, but that was exactly what I was looking for. The lodge is nice, food is good, people are great. They are a tag vendor as well, underrated benefit because you can buy extra deer tags, duck stamps, salmon stamps, etc as you go and as you see what time permits. We killed good deer, shot sea ducks, caught fish. Great time and highly recommended.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom