Kodiak Island Deer?

K

kidneystone

I may have the opportumity to get to Kodiak Isalnd with a friend in the next few years and very little cost. I see that non-resident blacktail tags are not very expensive and you can shoot multiple deer. This makes me really consider a do it myself hunt on kodiak for some little guys.

Has anyone ever done this or know of anyone who has? I'll never pay a guide, so if I can't do it myself , I won't do it. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

kidneyicon.gif

I personaly have never hunted on the island. My grandparents used to go and hunt there every year until this past year. They always got there deer. The horns are smaller then the inland blackies but there body is about the same if not bigger. They never used guides although if it is your first time to the island I would definetly think about getting one or really doing allot of research. Grandpa always told me that a gun shot was like a dinner bell...the bears knew it was easy pickings to drive off the hunter so allot of the time it was a race to the deer. Good luck and I'll try and get some more info on this and email you...B_B

Check out Cameron Hanes book "Bowhunting Trophy Blacktails". It has a section in there devoted to Sitka Blacktails. you can buy it at his website at www.crhpublishing.com or even email him with some questions.

i guide on kodiak and there is no need for a guide if you just want to shoot a couple little bucks. big bucks are farther away from the coast. go as late in the season as you can. late november or early december and the deer hunting will be best. carefull though, these deer are larger than most people ever realized. just because they have smaller antlers don't mean they are a lightweight deer. and no the bears don't come running to gun shots. that idiot that wrote that articile that started all that should have a talkin' to.

I think I liked your dancing "K" a whole lot better!
What about Prince Of Wales? No Grizzly's. That's what I am looking into.
Later........Christian

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom