Koyukuk River Alaska Moose(Alaska)

HunterHarry

Long Time Member
I am considering a hunt in northwestern Alaska in 04, I may end up going guided, they are just getting so expensive! I have heard many parts of Alaska are in bad shape for moose and caribou right now, but I think the Koyukuk,Yukon ,Anvik, Inokko river areas are still pretty good. I may even look at hunts in the Yukon or N.W.T. I have heard the Koyukuk river in Ak. has been a traditional hotspot. Any of you guys have good moose tips?

Here's the permit info:
http://www.state.ak.us/adfg/wildlife/geninfo/permit/03draw.pdf

You'll need to apply in Dec 03 for your Sept 04 hunt. Permit numbers DM827 & DM829 are your choices...either is good. Insects are a concern. Bring a headnet if hunting the early season. 52 permits available for non-residents.

If you go in without a local guide, you should know that the Natives are not friendly in this area. They think they own all of the moose...what they forget is that moose didn't exist in the Koyukuk area until the 1930's. You can buy fuel in Galena...don't bother asking in Huslia. On our trip we were cut-off with boats, had Natives attempt to swamp our boat, and were peppered with birdshot from "duck hunters". Guess they didn't like the fact that we took 2 trophy class bulls from "their" area. From what I witnessed, they don't really understand how to hunt...they drive up & down the river waiting to find an animal in the water. All the bs aside, the shear number of moose in the 3 Day Slough area, at 11 per sq/mi, make for a great hunt. I recommend that you order the video "Monster Moose" from Cabela's...It was filmed in 95 or 96 by Paul Newsom...will give you a preview of the Koyukuk. I was a resident hunter, owned a inboard jetboat...this is still an expensive hunt. We spent $3000...most of that was for 600 gallons of fuel @ $2.60 per gal. If you are not familar with the area, and want a good experence, expect to spend the $10K & use a Huslia guide. These Natives will treat you nice...then again you're paying for it. You'll take your horns & a little bit of meat home...most require you donate the meat to the village.
Have you checked out http://www.alaskasport.com/hunt.htm
Out of Galena...Looks half price...I have not dealt with them. Appears they have good areas outside the drawing permit area...might even be able to keep your meat.

Excellent Post Gutpile!

Thank You!Gutpile Sounds like you have been around! I love Alaska! I am feeling out different Moose hunting options in that part of the state, you are very informative, I saw that Paul Newsome tape a while back,Lots of bulls! also I have experienced that un-friendly native thing up there while on an unguided caribou hunt,they told me to leave "OUR RIVER" alone! I have also done some guided bear hunts up there, a Grizzly (7ft9in) and a Kodiak Brown (28"B&Cx10ft1in). I was on another forum(The Alaska Hunting Forum) and was told about a good outfit(www.maverikair.com) out of Kotzebue that is offering good hunts south of the Brooks Range,Drops and floats, Thanks Again!! Harry Fitzpatrick

RE: Excellent Post Gutpile!

hey harry! check out talonair.com they garuntee to show you a legal bull moose before they set you on the ground. but your right about kotzebue area, got a good friend goes there every fall. bangs some nice moose and caribou. i dropped a 65" this fall in the talkeetna mountians, but it was rare. to many wolves and bears up there. koyokuk is putting out some great moose. but moose are like well...moose. you might not see one for ten days and see a 70" on the end of the lake as your plane takes off. weird stuff happens when ya hunt moose. check out the video's "Love thunder and bull" Wayne Kubat puts them out, there are about calling moose. a must see if your heading out for moose. I'm a guide and still sit around the house watching those things..humm mmm good. good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom