Kryptek Cadog Pants vs. Sitka Mountain Pants

elkfanatic

I'm looking for a new pair of pants for late season hunting and I'm stuck between these two. The late season hunts are going to be mostly January archery mule deer hunts here in New Mexico. I wasn't worried about it until this years January when we hunted out of a pop up camper in below zero weather. Thanks for any input!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-13 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]

I have the mountain pants and they are very comfortable, but if I had it to do over I would buy the Timberline pants (same thing but with gore-tex over the knees and in the seat). This is needed because these soak up water like a sponge. The good news is that they dry out fast. The knee pads are great and really a plus (especially for bow hunting).

I spent a day last week in a constant wet snow and my Kuiu guide jacket shed the moisture as if it were waterproof(it is not), and these pants were soaked. I wish I had bought the Kuiu guide pants cause everyone seems to like them, but at this point I would greatly miss the knee pads. I also like all the pockets in these. I end up carrying stuff everywhere and the important stuff is zipped in place.

I was cold while glassing for hours with long underwear on under these at 30 degrees though (maybe I'm just a pansie), and they were definately too warm for my september elk hunt. Dang...I must be difficult to please!

I just looked up the Kryptek Cadogs and they should be significantly warmer with the fleese backing. Not sure if that is good or bad, but expect to need a layer under the sitka's to bring them to the same level of insulation. Of course the other side of this is that the kryptek's could be hot to walk in if the temp gets above 30. Just depends on what you are after.

After looking at Krypteks website, I would guess that the Dalibor pant is more comparable to the mountain pant, but it is just my "guess" I don't have anything of Krypteks.

Intimately familiar with Sitka. There is a reason everyone else tries to compare themselves to them.

For late season I'd recommend 90%. Or as stated, Timberline with a base layer underneath. I use both, depending on conditions. If you're buying only 1, probably lean toward the Timberline/Mountain because 90% will be too hot for earlier season, whereas you can use Timberline/Mountain in early seasons.

Shoot me a PM if I can help answer more questions or help steer you toward a good deal.

Carl

My only beef with the timberlines is that i can't use my own belt. other than that they are bad ass. I alternate between timberlines and the ascent pants. both work great and i just change up the weight of my long underwear depending on the weather.
Once you get over the sticker shock you'll be happy with the sitka or kuiu gear

I have a pair of winter Sitka pants with patches all over it.

The material is great, feels good, but, sharp rocks, brush will shred them. I think they will shred anything except heavy heavy denim.

I have never tried the Kryptek. Have same problem with core4element stuff. oak brush, cactus tear them up.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm going to go with the kryptek. They were much thicker when I went to sportsmans. I already have a lighter pair for warmer weather.

Kryptek all the way! It's a superb camo pattern blends in everywhere and really breaks up your outline. Built top shelf rediculous amount of pockets in all the right places and designed by ex spec ops soldiers. It's in the running for new U.S.Army bdu's. Battlefield to back country HOOAH!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom