KSL Article

"Mule deer have evolved to deal with winter", so I guess the DWR's excuse of hard winters hurting herds is BS? I remember a couple years ago ice fishing at East Canyon and seeing starving deer laying on the side of the road because the snow was too deep anywhere but on the road. By the time the DWR acknowledged a problem they were all dying, so many there were piles of dead, and in the spring it stunk like death, "but we are monitoring the situation"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-11 AT 10:31AM (MST)[p]Mule deer have evolved with winter, but that doesn't mean that their populations stayed stable. Sure the species survived, and I am sure that some will survive this winter, just like they did in 93, and 84. We want wildlife managers to keep populations stable so we don't have to give anything up, but most wildlife populations are going to cycle from highs to lows. Managers try to reduce the extremes in those cycles, but sometimes no matter how much effort we put in, mother nature takes over and does whatever she wants.

I hate seeing deer starve to death, but I also have seen first hand that feeding doesn't always do what we hope it will. It is one of those things that sounds like the right thing to do, but doesn't produce the results we want and has unanticiapted negative consequences.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-11 AT 07:48AM (MST)[p]

"Mule deer have evolved to deal with winter"

Translation: We don't want to spend the funds.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Kinda wish someone would start feeding the deer, sure makes finding cougar tracks easier for us houndsmen.....just hit the feeders and run the lions camped out on top!

Seriously guys, there have been plenty of studies that have shown that survival rates of deer are not improved with feeding programs for a variety of reasons. Sorry.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-11 AT 06:10AM (MST)[p]Not one person here, or at the Division, can tell me that supplementing a herds diet with hay in the winter will have a negative affect. Give me a break. They eat in hay fields all summer long and congregate in them. I can see if you're throwing out last nights left-overs, but hay? While I do agree that the spreading of disease is a risk with congregated deer, when was the last time you saw a single deer on a North facing slope in the winter time? Don't they usually congregate on the winter range? Isn't that the point of migration? What am I missing here?

It's always an adventure!!!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom