KUIU Peloton 200 v 97

AaronS

I have the Peloton 97 and it's one of my favorite pieces to wear here in Texas. Most case, I'm comfortable with that as a base layer and a vest over the top down to about 45 degrees sitting still. When it drops into the 20's-30's I'm putting a t-shirt or long sleeved base layer underneath and a Guide or Peloton 240 jacket over the top of the vest.

Prepping for a 3rd rifle Gunnison Basin CO hunt this November, and am looking at the Peloton 200, which should be a little heavier. Anyone have this piece and have any thoughts? How much heavier is it than the 97? Good garment? Worth me picking one up? Thinking I might be looking for something more on that hunt, especially sitting idle in the open glassing with potential for wind, hoping I can get by with a system that consists of an under armour type base layer, Peloton 200 over that, Super Down Ultra Vest, and a Guide Jacket if needed.

Go onto camofire.com & pick up a couple of blackovis merino wool base layers, get the hoodies amazing how much that hood keeps the wind & cold air from draining body heat

Do you already own the peloton 240? If so I’d use that and forgo the 200. The 240 is one of my favorite pieces from Kuiu and always with me on later hunts. It blocks wind pretty well also. Use the 97 as your base layer and 240 as mid layer. Put your vest over those 2 layers and then the guide jacket as your outer if needed.

The 200 is a bit heavier and thicker than the 97, but still light for how warm it is. I like mine, but I am with you, the 97 with the hoodie is about the best piece of clothing they have.

Go onto camofire.com & pick up a couple of blackovis merino wool base layers, get the hoodies amazing how much that hood keeps the wind & cold air from draining body heat
Best bang for the buck I’ve found. I love my ovis wool and have all different layers too and bottom

I have a 200 zip t and two 240,s, one hooded one not. I've tried the 200 as a base layer, but found I prefer it between a wool base layer and an outer piece, another insulation piece. Its ok as and outer piece itself, but that's where I prefer the 240's. To me the 200 feels warmer than the 240. 3rd season...if its down in the single digits and teens and your moving, the 240 on top a wool base layer is enough, but if your going to sit in those temps, I need to put something on top of those 2 layers. If you like the peloton synthetic feel as a base layer, then a 200 with a guide jacket would be another system to try.

Thanks for all the great input. I do have the 240 as well, both vest and jacket (without hood). Love both of those pieces and I wear them regularly here in TX for whitetail.

You all have given me a good bit to consider, thanks a lot!

I'm not sure there's enough difference in warmth between the 97 and 200 to justify buying the 200. they're both lightweight, relatively low nap fleeces, but none are thick/lofty enough to truly be a valid insulator when it really gets cold. Wearing a 97, 200 and a 240 over the top seems pretty redundant, when a puffy jacket or vest could eliminate a layer or two and provide more warmth. Just one man's opinion. All are good pieces, I'm just not sure I'd layer that many low-loft fleeces when there are more efficient, packable insulating options out there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom