La Panza Elk

Colfax_Hunter

Hi All - My father and I have been chasing elk tags in California for years. Unfortunately for us, we didn't quite understand the points game when California started and we missed out on that first year, putting us always one point behind max. We applied some years and others just banked another point. My father has had some health issues so I changed the focus on just drawing a tag.

We started applying for a few of the Grizzly island cow tags and have been alternates a couple times, but they cut back on the hunts making it harder to draw.

I looked at options and landed on La Panza. Very large area, good amount of tags and some public and plenty of private. We drew the period 2 cow tags and started researching(yes, I should have looked into this more before even applying).

I've talked to one of the biologists in the area and he provided the landowner list that allows hunting. Looking at the success rates from last year, 10/11 tags were filled for both periods, his gut is that all we filled on private. There are are a few landowners in the PLM program who don't offer regular tag holders access. There is an outfitter doing cow hunts one some of the private as well. There is a DFG property that you can "win" access to in the raffle the day before, but can't really plan on that.

For those of you that have experience in the area, anyone know of a land owner allowing access? or any suggestions on what I may have missed in looking into?

Thanks for the help,
Terry

Your information comes with a cost? Ok, send me your address, if it works out I'll send you something.

Obviously, access to private could and probably will come at a cost. WE get to decide if it is worth it to us to pay.

lol...my info is worth less than nothing....I was just asking if you were expecting free access.....

No way, it's their land and if they are willing to allow access to take a few elk, the land owner should be able to charge what they feel is right.

Now seeing what the ranches get for the PLM tags is a bit crazy, but there are plenty willing to pay the price.

My dad had the bull tag years back. We ended up hunting on the Morisoli property. I think since they have moved to the PLM program but might be worth asking. They may have a line on someone willing to let you shoot a cow. We worked it out with Albin but I think the son runs the ranch now. I think it's ridiculous that they do the drawing to hunt the DFG ranch the day before the hunt. It just makes no sense and doesn't allow proper planning. I would just start calling everyone on the list to get an idea of the cost. It'll cost but still less than going guided. The public property is OK sometimes but you have to get lucky. Most of the time the elk are bedded just over on the private. I think one of the hunters got a pretty nice bull on the public last year, not sure about the cow hunts. It might be worth your time to drive up through Priest Valley and up on Airline Hwy and knock on doors. The elk are all through that area.

I helped on a cow hunt on the La Panza unit a few years ago. We killed the cow on public land. Have to be willing to hike!!

Just go talk to some cattle ranches in Priest Valley, they hate the elk there. All they do is eat their grass and most can’t do anything about it. Some get tags but a lot of the smaller guys don’t

Thanks for the suggestions. Due to his health my father decided he isn't up for the hunt this year and sent our letters back.

Hopefully the tags can go to the alternates and put them to good use.

Thanks again,
Terry

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom