La Sal La Sal Elk Questions

Utah_Raptor

Good afternoon, I am 40 years old and I am new to hunting. I know I am late to the game and won't ever be the outdoorsman that you guys are. I have 5 boys and I want them to experience the outdoors and not be addicted to video games and screens. Now with that said please understand that I am new to this whole system of points, draw results ETC. I put in for what I thought was the La Sal Manti area. My cousin-in-law grew up in Fairview and was happy to be my guide and show me the ropes. I made a rookie mistake and put in for La Sal La Sal which as everyone on here is probably aware is near Moab. I ended up drawing the tag with very few points and I was extremely excited. Now having discovered I put in for the wrong area I am here seeking any help that this group can offer. I drew a bull tag that starts Sept 15th.
Can anyone tell me how this area compares to the La Sal Manti Area?

Is the terrain red rock Moab-like or a mix of pine and quakies?

Any tips would be appreciated, and I fully understand most hunters don't want to give away information that they have earned or has been passed down. But if you have advice for a city boy trying to raise country boys I would be grateful. If this is the wrong place to post this kind of thing, please feel free to disregard or even better point me in the right direction.

Thank you
Q

Welcome Utah Raptor-

I am no expert on the La Sal La Sal but I have hunted it a couple of times for Elk and really enjoyed it. I think for what you described as as getting the boys out and chasing elk this unit will fit the bill nicely. Some great bulls have came off of this unit over the years and while it is not managed for the oldest age class bulls in Utah, I would personally still try to hold out for a mature 6-point on this tag and it is very doable as a do-it-yourself'r.

As far as the terrain goes, it wasn't what I expected when I first hunted it. I was thinking slick rock desert too but if you go south east of Moab into the the mountains you will find typical elk habitat with quaking aspen and pine forests.

If possible get the boys away from the screen time, throw in the fishing poles and do some summer scouting to get to know the roads and landscape for your upcoming hunt in September.

Best of luck on a fun tag!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I will do just that and take a few weekends to do some scouting. I live in Bountiful so it's a bit of a drive but I am excited to see the landscape. Thanks again, I'll be sure and post pictures if I am successful.

Welcome to the Forums Raptor!

Congrats on a good tag to start out. I have never hunted the Utah side, but have spent some time on the CO side of that unit.

I think you will have fun. As mentioned before, take a couple weekend trips with the boys and the poles. Get a lay of the land, some access points, do some scouting.

I think you can easily get a bull on the ground on that unit (if it is anything like the CO side). Just remember to enjoy it and makes some memories with the kids.

Hopefully someone on these forums can give you a better idea of what to expect.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-18 AT 11:04PM (MST)[p]I do not have any info on any spots for elk only been there hunting bear. But that mountain is as pretty as a place as you can find. The only advice I can give is pay attention to private land on that mountain especially the Red ranches they do not like trespassers down there. My brother spent some time down there he talked alot about the TV towers on the west side of the mountain. Don't know if this helps out any good luck.

Congrats on drawing the tag and for getting your boys out! That is what it is all about! I haven't spent much time on the La Sal?s myself, but the outfitter that I have hunted the San Juan unit a lot with guides up there and knows the unit very well. They are all excellent guides that have now turned into friends. Regardless if you were considering hiring an outfitter or not I would still give them a call and get his take on the unit and what to expect. Sliverslinger400

Randy Pixlar
‭(970) 903-2264‬
Black Timber Outfitters

http://www.blacktimberoutfitters.net

Thank you for all of your responses. It means a lot to me to see a group of strangers offer to help someone you have never met. I will take all of your suggestions and put them into action. My sons and I thank you all.

Scout the LaSal loop, Look at South Mesa, Check the low lands
I like the SW corner of the Mtn. Beg,Borrow,or Buy the best glass and glass at first lights and right before dark right along the timberlines. If I see a trail with the bino I follow that trail before I start scrolling the sections.
Scrolling is when you start from A to Z then
drop lower and do it a again.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks, Gator,
I picked up the Vortex Razor spotting scope. Great idea to break down the terrain into zones and move back and forth. This is all new to me so I am trying to absorb as much as I can. Any other tips or gear recommendations are appreciated.

Congrats. My 12 year old drew a cow tag for this unit and I'm kind of in the same boat other than I've hunted my whole life. We live in Colorado so not familiar with the area. My plan is just to do some scouting and hopefully find some good areas. I'll let you know what I find but as of now, I'm just as blind as you with this place!

I have hunted deer in both areas several times and helped with elk in both units .I would consider this a comparable tag to the manti tag with one advantage .It wont be as crowded down . There is some private areas that the elk go to when pressured. So I would know were your at . Take a September scouting trip to find the elk and make sure your kids take fishing poles for there are some mountain lakes that are fun to fish in the mid day. It is one beautiful place I agree with holding out for atleast a six point or a huge five point .

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-18 AT 04:08PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-18 AT 04:06?PM (MST)

Good afternoon,
I wanted to report back on the hunt. It turns out a neighbor who moved in across the street from me had hunted the area quite a bit. He volunteered to be my guide and we ended up filling the tag with a nice bull. I'm 6'7" and 320 so I am not the best backdrop for this bull when it comes to showcasing the scale.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say thank you to all of those who sent me PM's and offered to help me out. I hope you all have a safe and fulfilling hunting season.

Thanks again.

77864lasal.jpg

85163packout.jpg

55016capture.jpg

97862meat.jpg

Good deal. Congrats!!! I'm heading up with my son for his cow hunt in a couple weeks. Looks like there are some around. I'm new to the unit as well so glad to see you get into some

I just made the same mistake putting in for manti and drawing the la sal unit. We plan to make a few scouting trips. I know nothing of the area so I’m curious to find out if there are wheeler trails or if horses are worth it. I have both.

From my limited experience there seems to be a lot of roads on both sides of the mountain. If anything you could use your horses to pack out a big stinky bull out of a hell hole if needed. My wife drew the muzzy bull tag so we’ll be spending a lot of time on the mountain as well. Good luck.

I just made the same mistake putting in for manti and drawing the la sal unit. We plan to make a few scouting trips. I know nothing of the area so I’m curious to find out if there are wheeler trails or if horses are worth it. I have both.
This thread is almost 5 years old but you can probably still glean a little info from it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom