La Sal Late Elk Hunt

birdboy

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance, I am using my dad's account. My name is Megan I am 19 and drew my first tag this year. We were not expecting me to draw so I am excited!

I have the La Sal La Sal late (November) any bull tag. We have been studying everything we can. I called a Biologist and we have a couple of scouting trips scheduled.

As of now we are looking at the North end of the unit. But hard to say what will happen between now and November.

If any of you have had that tag, or have an idea on what to expect in November i would appreciate it. I am very much looking forward to my first hunt. I plan on giving updates on here as I chase a bull and hopefully get a nice one.

Thank you in advance
And thanks for such a fun site!

Megan

Megan,
I've never hunted the La Sal, but I have hunted a Utah late season elk. Scouting now is only good if you are just learning the country because the elk will be in way different locations in the late fall than where they are right now.
Utah's late hunt comes after the bulls have left the cows and they head to isolated locations to eat and heal up from their rut activities. They seek solitude, which often could mean dark timber and private land where they won't be bothered.
You are dead on seeking help from others who have been on your unit at the time you will be hunting. Knowing where bulls often go during your hunt is 90% of the battle. I'd get as much local information as possible, so keep reaching out to anyone that will listen.
Best of luck

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-18 AT 12:28PM (MST)[p]As has been mentioned, bulls in Nov will be either alone or in bachelor groups. I have seen smaller bulls with cows in Nov/Dec while hunting the San Juan unit with an antlerless tag.

We hunted the Manti - Central Mtn a few years back in Nov and all bulls were alone or in bach. groups, which is expected.

Long story short, bulls this time of year will be higher in elevation until severe weather pushes them down. They will also be in dark timber on north facing slopes as well.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom