La Sal Mountain Goat

flashgun

Well I was the lucky recipient that got the 1 La Sal non resident mountain goat tag. I will be doing this hunt diy and just wanted to ask those that have had goat tags in UT before and others in the know what the ideal two weeks to hunt would be. The goats get those beautiful capes going into late fall but I am also concerned with snow and access if i wait too late. The hunt dates are Sept 9th - Nov 29. If you could pick the ideal two week window to hunt, which two weeks would you hunt... I figure i will have 14 days for the actual hunt.

Last edited:
You should be okay the beginning of November. Normally big snow doesn't seem to hit SW UT until later in Nov - early Dec.

But with the "super" el nino that's supposed to hit this monsoon and fall, you never know.

I have a goat tag as well. They should have good hair the first week or so in October, maybe sooner. Ave days hunted the past couple years were 3-4 To fill tags. I doubt it will be very hard Hunt.

Here's A Clip/Hunt!

One Of Them Said:

Great Shot On The 2nd Shot!

I Call BS!

I'll Bet Next Time He's In That Situation He Ain't F'N Around Like He Did On This Hunt!

Lucky The Headgear Was Still Intact!

Click On: watch on youtube

Here's A Clip/Hunt!

One Of Them Said:

Great Shot On The 2nd Shot!

I Call BS!

I'll Bet Next Time He's In That Situation He Ain't F'N Around Like He Did On This Hunt!

Lucky The Headgear Was Still Intact!

Click On: watch on youtube

Thanks for video. Might be more of a hike than thought??

OK!

Just to Liven It Up A Bit!

Do Any Of You Remember The year Founder Hunted Goats?

I Only Know One other Person That'd Let A Trophy Animal Walk And That's The Guy Making This Post!

I Let A Trophy Pronghorn Walk Several Years Ago!

After I Let Him Walk I Tried For 8 More Days To Get Within Range!

It Never Happened!

Shoulda had My Ass kicked!

I Had Him Out-Right At 13 Yards The Crack of Daylight Opening Morning!

I Don't/Never End A Hunt That Quick!:D

Anyway!

There Ain't Too Many People Like Founder That Would'of Let This Goat Walk!

I Give Founder Credit For Letting The Goat Live/Walk!

(((Sometimes We Can't Shoot a Pet!:D:D:D)))

OK!

Just to Liven It Up A Bit!

Do Any Of You Remember The year Founder Hunted Goats?

I Only Know One other Person That'd Let A Trophy Animal Walk And That's The Guy Making This Post!

I Let A Trophy Pronghorn Walk Several Years Ago!

After I Let Him Walk I Tried For 8 More Days To Get Within Range!

It Never Happened!

Shoulda had My Ass kicked!

I Had Him Out-Right At 13 Yards The Crack of Daylight Opening Morning!

I Don't/Never End A Hunt That Quick!:D

Anyway!

There Ain't Too Many People Like Founder That Would'of Let This Goat Walk!

I Give Founder Credit For Letting The Goat Live/Walk!

(((Sometimes We Can't Shoot a Pet!:D:D:D)))

I scratch my head to this day on why Brian didn't put an arrow in that billy. Why put in for an animal if you have no desire to kill one? To each their own.

Our friend Zeke killed a Uinta's billy on the first weekend of his hunt and it had beautiful hair but for sure, the later in the season the thicker goat hair gets. If it were my tag I would not wait too long. My son shot his British Columbia monster goat the last week of September and it has great hair.
My nephew had a Utah tag last year and he had the goats in his area all figured out but didn't shoot one the first two weeks, thinking he might wait til they got more haired up.
The problem for him was, after they had been hunted they disappeared and he couldn't find them. They left the places he had scouted them and he had to hunt really hard to finally locate one.
In the end he got his goat in November, but it wasn't as big as the ones he had chased early. His has a great coat but less impressive head gear.
I've never hunted goats in the LaSals, but that mountain looks daunting. I'd be more concerned about finding a good Billy and less concerned about how haired up he is. But that is just me.

Those mountains are steep, but there’s a road at the bottom of every one of them. I’m sure there’s a place, but I don’t think mountain goat hunting gets much easier anywhere in the world then the La Sals.

Mine had pretty nice hair but coulda been 3 more inches in late October… it snowed in September … all in all I’m pretty sure footed so a couple inches of snow on shale-ass steep crap really wouldn’t deter me… but I might have been alone in that situation haha.

8104BDDC-0D8F-449F-9398-D78CC3B89940.png

Well I was the lucky recipient that got the 1 La Sal non resident mountain goat tag. I will be doing this hunt diy and just wanted to ask those that have had goat tags in UT before and others in the know what the ideal two weeks to hunt would be. The goats get those beautiful capes going into late fall but I am also concerned with snow and access if i wait too late. The hunt dates are Sept 9th - Nov 29. If you could pick the ideal two week window to hunt, which two weeks would you hunt... I figure i will have 14 days for the actual hunt.Was

I Just Watched Founder's Goat Hunt Video Again!

I'd Bet 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% Of Hunters Would Not Of Let That Billy Walk!

I'd Also Bet That Was One Of The Oldest Billies On That Mountain!

I Spent Some Time With An old Billy A Few Years Back In The High Country!

I Seen Him For a Few Years!

I Got Within 25 Yards Of Him Several Different Times!

I Used To Jump A Buck Once In A Great While In That Pine Thicket Until He Made Camp There!

He's Not There Anymore & I Haven't Seen A Buck In There For Several Years Neither!

The Goats Up This Way Have Not Been Doing To Well the Last Few Years!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom