La Sal Mountains Archery Deer

BlackBear53

Good afternoon,
Excited to say that my wife and I will be taking our first western hunt this year for archery mule deer in the La Sal mountains and would love any advice. I have pulled the Google Earth files for both the Redd and JB Ranches and have the OnxMaps overlays and the BLM surface maps but know that I will need all the advice I can get. Thank you in advance and have a blessed day.

Congrats Blackbear53, I've no doubt you'll get a few pointers here . I'm hopeful to be in the same situation once the elk draw is released. It's nice to see what normally happens here in folks with area knowledge helping those who live afar.

We used to hunt there alot . It gets a lot of road hunter's shooting the first buck they see . Edges of the Private you mentioned used to be good not sure abut now. Also a lot of Road less basins to hike into . I camped there last year during the 4th of July and talked to the DWR officer about big bucks and he told me they were few and far between but there are some . If it was me I would look high to the road less basin if your physically capable and looking for big bucks if your just looking to take something decent you might see that from a main road .

Lots of good area's to hike into, Good glassing from afar will put you on animals at the edge of clearing.
Pole Cyn, Carpenter Basin, South Mtn area, Canopy Gap2 Mile creek, all are good spots to glass and find deer. Not all the good bucks are on the mountain look around some of that desert south of La Sal. Just might find a jewel or two.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I've hunted this area for over 20 years, and I'm the 4th generation to hunt this mountain in my family. The deer herd is having a hard time there. The area is thick and steep, makes it tough to make moves on deer. The deer have also been tested positive for CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) I personally have taken 2 deer that tested positive. So if you do get one, make sure you get it tested. Lots of bears all over the mountain, so if you are packing in somewhere take the proper precautions. Archery season is hot and dry, stick to the backside of the mountain (east side). As stated, there is a lot of private land, so do your research. Don't get caught on the ranches...it wont end well. Good Luck!

Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to respond it is appreciated. I wish you all good hunting this fall.

We used to hunt there alot . It gets a lot of road hunter's shooting the first buck they see . Edges of the Private you mentioned used to be good not sure abut now. Also a lot of Road less basins to hike into . I camped there last year during the 4th of July and talked to the DWR officer about big bucks and he told me they were few and far between but there are some . If it was me I would look high to the road less basin if your physically capable and looking for big bucks if your just looking to take something decent you might see that from a main road .
I'm currently hunting the LaSal mountains on a general mule deer tag and spike elk tag. I just wanted to comment that this response is spot on. Very few 3 1/2 year old bucks in the unit. I've been to many roadless basins, sat on many peaks and have put many hours behind the glass. A average buck will be a 2 1/2 year old scoring in the 110-130 range. You'd likely be able to shoot it on the side of the road. If you're looking for a challenge, try to find a 3 1/2 year old buck scoring in the 130-150 range.

It Ain't just Archery that SUCKS There!

Another UNIT/Mountain Range That Once Produced Trophy/Quality Bucks!

That Is Now F'D Up Beyond Repair!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom