La Sal Mountains

HeXXuS

Hey everyone. I drew the La Sal Mountains Archery tag this year. I've never hunted the area and thought I had someone with experience going with me. At the last second, my buddy had to back out and now i am finding myself hunting alone in a new area.

I cant afford the $6-7k they want for a guided hunt on the private lands in the area, but could probably invest something significantly smaller... i am wondering if there is anyone out there that would be willing to either hunt with me or guide me for this hunt for a fee?

I am an experienced hunter, but not a trophy hunter. I have harvested two 5x6 bulls in my life in Manti and in the general bull area. I am not in great shape but I can hike and am not afraid of doing what needs to be done. I will also be set up with a garmin inreach as well as OnX.

Pm me, thanks

I would be careful about paying someone to guide you if they’re not a licensed guide. The fish and game might confiscate your elk

I am no help on finding a guide. But that is a fun mountain. There is no shortage of elk, but it can be tough because it is so thick. I would think this year I would try to find water and hunt around it. The last week will probably be the best time to hunt. So if you have limited time, that is where I would use it.

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to check out licensing and plan to invest a good chunk of time into the beginning of the rut.

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to check out licensing and plan to invest a good chunk of time into the beginning of the rut.
PM me your number. My wife had the muzzleloader tag there a few years ago and I'm happy to give you some pointers

By Labor Day weekend you should see good bulls with cows and making decent noise. Follow the bugles without being too vocal.

Hey everyone. I drew the La Sal Mountains Archery tag this year. I've never hunted the area and thought I had someone with experience going with me. At the last second, my buddy had to back out and now i am finding myself hunting alone in a new area.

I cant afford the $6-7k they want for a guided hunt on the private lands in the area, but could probably invest something significantly smaller... i am wondering if there is anyone out there that would be willing to either hunt with me or guide me for this hunt for a fee?

I am an experienced hunter, but not a trophy hunter. I have harvested two 5x6 bulls in my life in Manti and in the general bull area. I am not in great shape but I can hike and am not afraid of doing what needs to be done. I will also be set up with a garmin inreach as well as OnX.

Pm me, thanks
I have the archery bull tag down there also. This is the first time I've logged into this site in years so I'm not sure how to PM on here but if you would like to pm me feel free. I plan to hunt the first 7-8 days and if I don't find a bull that I like I'll go back down the last week of the hunt when the big bulls have started to drop and move in near the cows.

I had the La Sal archery tag in 2016. Happy to help if ya want. PM me. It’s a fun tag and you will have a blast

Update:
I used ONX to find the info on some private land owners in the area. There are a ridiculous number of elk i can get in on everyday but i really need someone to call for me. I can call elk in successfully to about 100-150 yds but I am having no more success than that.

I've been told there is a 400 class bull on this land. I found him 2 weeks ago. I'm back on the mountain now and trying to find him again. Anyone interested in helping call in some elk that haven't been hunted in 10 years, let me know.

could still really use help calling if anyone is near the la sal. Had another bull stop at 118 yds this morning

Try moving in more quite and then just brake branches, not tree raking, just brake branches. More often than not he'll come take a look because it is a natural elk noise that isn't necessarily threatening or putting him on high alert so much.

Muzzleloader tag on LaSal.
I have this tag and am wondering about how the archery hunt has gone thus far. Also, If any rifle tag holders will share some info after their hunt, I would be greatly appreciative. Best of luck and enjoy this great time of the year in God's cathedral.

I cant really say for public land hunts although I would recommend getting ONX and start getting ahold of private land owners. I csn tell you there were about 70 head off of burro pass trail. And I also spotted some huge bulls in deep creek. I was told by a cattle rancher to hunt porcupine if you are on public land. But be prepared to hike your butt ofd

The storm has pushed the bulls out of the private property we've been hunting. It is below 20. We found some higher and some lower, but the lower ones are now on red ranches, a cwmu territory. Weather has been absolute shite but i am still happy to be here and feel very blessed to have gained access to where I have been hunting. What it has really come down to is that I am used to calling for deep rut from my experience in the past. I have only been trying to learn the slow play this week and I believe my calls have just been to aggressive. 2.5 days left. Wish me luck and send me a prayer boys n girls.

Thanks desert ranch for the advice. So dumb I didn't already put my calls down. I relocated about 30 head this morning and got ahold of the land owners. 120 more acres baby. A day and a half left. At this point whatever gives me the opportunity is going down since there is only a day and a half left. Also got lucky and found some pine chickens. Grilling one up for lunch then headed back out

I ended the hunt unsuccessful. My buddy filled his spike tag. I could have taken several cows or small bulls but I passed on them to get a big one. But when it came down to it I didn't have the skill with my calls to bring the big ones closer than 100-150 yards. I could get them interested and ramped up to a 5-7 but never could get them to a 10 to come in. I am honestly considering hanging up the bow because I do not have people in my life that can teach me. My buddy has been great but at the end of the day he is a solo hunter. It was aggravating at times, but I was so thankful that I wasn't alone. Overall we saw hundreds of elk within 100 yards, about a zillion deer, 11 or 12 different bears, 30 or so mountain goat, lots and lots of turkeys, grouse, badgers, porcupine, hawks, eagles, and probably 10 other species i am forgetting to mention. I've never seen so much wildlife anywhere else in this state and I have spent a great deal of time in the outdoors. This was honestly the best hunt of my entire life. I saw elk everyday, even when we were trying new areas. I saw some of the biggest bucks I've ever seen too. I give the La Sal a 9 out of 10. Losing 1 star because it is so far from salt lake. But i met some people that I look forward to lifelong friendships with and hope to be able to access the private land again in the future.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom