La Sal Summer Bear Hunt

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
Hello:

I have been a long time member here but have not posted a lot lately. However, I wanted to check to see if someone could recommend a licensed guide for the La Sal Summer Bear hunt. I do realize that this is a baited and/or spot and stalk hunt (no hounds). As we live in Northern Utah, we would really like to look at the guide options. I have looked at some different guides online but if not all are for hound hunts.

Thank you!

snoodafruff

For that area of the state, I would talk to Black timber outfitters (BTO). They're out of Blanding and know every square inch of San Juan elk ridge. I would guess they guide on the La Sals too.

BCnimrod

I’ve always stayed away from putting baits in barrels in utah.

Proclamation says this…..

“Bait may not be contained in—nor can it include—any metal, glass, porcelain, plastic, cardboard or paper. The bait station must be marked with a sign provided by the Division and posted within 10 feet of the bait.”

Good luck. Have fun. Post pics.

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
I’ve always stayed away from putting baits in barrels in utah.

Proclamation says this…..

“Bait may not be contained in—nor can it include—any metal, glass, porcelain, plastic, cardboard or paper. The bait station must be marked with a sign provided by the Division and posted within 10 feet of the bait.”

Good luck. Have fun. Post pics.
BCnimrod:

I appreciate you helping me with my bad reading comprehension. I have read the proclamation and missed the first sentence. That does through a wrench into my baiting ideas.

The trail cam rule is odd as well. It says you cannot use them to hunt bear. However, it says that they are banned between July-Dec. Does this mean they can be used during a summer a hunt? I doubt it, but need to verify.

From the proclamation"

"You may not use any trail camera (or non-handheld device) in the take of big game, cougars or bears — or to aid in the take of big game, cougars or bears — between July 31 and Dec. 31 on public or private property".

Thanks

Update: I actually called the Southeastern Office and spoke to the lady there. She confirmed what BC posted, no barrels. She did say trail cam use was okay, as long they were used outside of the prohibited month bans.
Disclaimer: The two conservation officers were out of the office when I called. What I posted was what the front desk lady told me (I do not know her job title). I still plan on speaking with a conservation officer before the hunt.

Last edited:

elkantlers

Very Active Member
BCnimrod:

I appreciate you helping me with my bad reading comprehension. I have read the proclamation and missed the first sentence. That does through a wrench into my baiting ideas.

The trail cam rule is odd as well. It says you cannot use them to hunt bear. However, it says that they are banned between July-Dec. Does this mean they can be used during a summer a hunt? I doubt it, but need to verify.

From the proclamation"

"You may not use any trail camera (or non-handheld device) in the take of big game, cougars or bears — or to aid in the take of big game, cougars or bears — between July 31 and Dec. 31 on public or private property".

Thanks

You don't need a guide to bait bears. That, to me, is the biggest benefit to the summer bait season. It is a very doable DIY hunt.

If you put out a good bait there will be bears all over it.

As for Cameras you are perfectly legal to them during the Summer season.

BCnimrod

So, wood Barrel can be used?????
Gator brings up a good point with wood. If you’d like to use a barrel it seems that a wood one may be ok to go with. Anyone know the thinking behind not allowing people to use barrels in Utah? I’ve always put my bait in a hole with some logs on two sides and on top. Makes it a little more difficult. Cameras are good to go for spring and summer. Good luck.

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
"You don't need a guide to bait bears. That, to me, is the biggest benefit to the summer bait season. It is a very doable DIY hunt."

I agree, but am not sure I can keep a bait station (or 2) stocked living 300-400 miles away. I do plan on being there through a lot of the hunt (and before). I think we will be able to do the baiting.

We will be headed that way after next week and see what we can come up with.

just_a_hunter

That can be an awesome hunt!

TgKoRAEh.jpg

Todd

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
Great pic Todd. My son, along with my father made the trip down over the weekend. Unfortunately, I was not able to make it as I was on my first Alberta bear hunt.
He did find a few spots that he is going to register as bait sites and we plan on being down there this coming weekend.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom