Lab/hound mix lost while scouting for goats in the Uinta West Unit 6/28

tesmitty

Need some help! My brother lost his dog yesterday on the Amethyst Trail off of Stillwater Trail through Christmas Meadows while scouting for goats. Dog became very ill, lethargic and disoriented on the trip. My brother attempted to get him out but he got spooked and became very scared and took off. Something weird happened maybe poisoned by something? My brother is from Nortern California but will be sticking around to try to find him. I will be traveling to Utah and traveling through that area on the 2nd. If any of you are scouting/hiking and see him please reach out to me!!
530-329-3732

Need some help! My brother lost his dog yesterday on the Amethyst Trail off of Stillwater Trail through Christmas Meadows while scouting for goats. Dog became very ill, lethargic and disoriented on the trip. My brother attempted to get him out but he got spooked and became very scared and took off. Something weird happened maybe poisoned by something? My brother is from Nortern California but will be sticking around to try to find him. I will be traveling to Utah and traveling through that area on the 2nd. If any of you are scouting/hiking and see him please reach out to me!!
530-329-3732

Here are pictures of my brothers dog Adak

20210629_100939.jpg

20210629_100922.jpg

I hope he's ok! That really sucks, pretty dog! I wonder if he got into some algae that may have made him sick? Prayers for Adak!

Hope everything works out man, that’s no bueno. Your brother happen to leave any clothing at your starting point/trailhead?

Maybe he got his bearings back..

Sounds a little like parvo, I hope not and also hope he finds him/her… I hate to think about what your brothers going through…

I lost two dogs in the Unitas back in the early 90’s found them two days later… I hope for the same outcome…

Just throwing this out there, but is it a possibility the dog got altitude sickness coming from sea level to hiking and hard breathing at 9000+ altitude like humans often do??‍♂️
Thought about that as well...but the dog had symptoms that seem more stroke/seizure related. Adak wasn't experiencing any respiratory or vomiting symptoms. He is still missing but if he gets better and gets his bearings back he'll turn up along the trail. But reality is time is running out, each day increases the chance that Adak did not recover.

Hey Homer!

I Do Believe This Guy is From KALI!

(((No Offense!)))
Haha...just for clarity
My brother was born in Rock Springs when we lived in Utah, but has bounced between Kali, Utah, and Wyo. He is a Kali boy at the moment but probably not for long.....
Me born in Kali.....spent a few years in Dutch John Ut...back to Kali.....will retire in Utah....so I can burn my points!!

The high country is clear full of bad plants right now. Some of them - like monkshood - haven’t bloomed yet and are hard to recognize.

Sounds like he ate something. I bet he headed for water. Hope you find him.

The high country is clear full of bad plants right now. Some of them - like monkshood - haven’t bloomed yet and are hard to recognize.

Sounds like he ate something. I bet he headed for water. Hope you find him.
Thank you
Plenty of water up there at the moment which makes it tough to pin point where he may have ended up.

Sorry to hear about your brothers dog. I worked in Dutch John on the helitack crew in 90-92. Nice country. Hope all works out.
Thank you!! I left Dutch John after the summer of 1988! Still love that pla e and will actually be there tomorrow!!

apparently you didn't find the dog??
My brother checked for him again yesterday on the trail & trailhead where he was last seen. At this point it looks like Adak didn't make. He may still turn up but I looked pretty grim at this time. No reported signs of him either.

Up there today. Did your brother leave the dogs kennel near the trailhead just off the road?

Plenty of people up there today and at the trailhead at the end of Christmas Meadows.

I’ve lost a lot of hounds in chase, always found them, some days later. If you really wanted to find that dog you could. There has been a lot of good suggestions on here, Leave clothing, water, food and kennel.

I’ve lost a lot of hounds in chase, always found them, some days later. If you really wanted to find that dog you could. There has been a lot of good suggestions on here, Leave clothing, water, food and kennel.
Clothing, the dog's crate, food & water were left. Also, left a complete scent trail from where the dog was lost to the trailhead. A few follow up trips on the trail and in the area as well. Lots of people in the area and all info is posted. Dog hasn't turned up? Not like zero effort has been made.

You way wish to consider putting ads on KSL, Utah Gun Exchange, and in newspapers and on the local radio stations.

I’ve found dogs, three different times, over the years, on the mountain roads, above my house. Found the owners for two of the three because the owners were advertising in our local media. The third became a wonderful family pet. Had him for many years but I would have preferred to have found his original owner.

All the best finding him.

You way wish to consider putting ads on KSL, Utah Gun Exchange, and in newspapers and on the local radio stations.

I’ve found dogs, three different times, over the years, on the mountain roads, above my house. Found the owners for two of the three because the owners were advertising in our local media. The third became a wonderful family pet. Had him for many years but I would have preferred to have found his original owner.

All the best finding him.
Good advice!
Thank you!

Well Adak has turned up 3 weeks later!!! My brother is stoked and headed out to pick him up. Poor guy wandered into a cabin not too far from where he was lost. Guessing his leash got stuck somewhere off the trail and he finally slipped his collar. Luckily it must've been near water or i dont think he would've lasted long. He's hungry but happy to be reunited with people. Appreciate the help and advice!! Happy endings are great!!

Well Adak has turned up 3 weeks later!!! My brother is stoked and headed out to pick him up. Poor guy wandered into a cabin not too far from where he was lost. Guessing his leash got stuck somewhere off the trail and he finally slipped his collar. Luckily it must've been near water or i dont think he would've lasted long. He's hungry but happy to be reunited with people. Appreciate the help and advice!! Happy endings are great!!
Thank you for letting us know the outcome. Sure makes it a lot easier to try to offer a little help to the next guy when we hear back from those seeking assistance.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom