Labs

joesikora

Long Time Member
Hi all, does buying a lab from a breeder that the parents are champion dogs really make their puppies champions from the get go? We have been thinking of getting another big chunk of Chocolate for awhile and then get a Pudel Pointer a year later from Cedar Pudel Pointers. Now I’ve read a ton about Bob Farris and noticed that a lot of the new breeders of these dogs most are using he’s dogs to get their puppies so why not go to the source and buy from the man himself

Another question I don’t want to start a post just for this
I have a 10 gauge o/u but it doesn’t kick the shells out on its own can I send it to a gunsmith and have them make it do that?

thanks

I have been owned by many many Labs over the years.
You can get a great dog from just a backyard breeder, no need to get one from a champion kennel, in fact I think most now breed for color not intelligence.
Have owned all three colors and BY FAR the Black ones are the smartest. That's why they are still called 'Black Labs' GL you really can't go wrong with a Lab.

Even though you might be able to, I wouldn’t change the chambering in a shotgun barrel. I doubt most gunsmiths would either, and it would probably be more expensive than buying a new barrel.

Some shotguns just “lift” the shell out, and others “eject” the empty. See if you can take it apart and look at the mechanism. Personally I prefer ejectors so I can try and catch the empties.

My black lab was scared of guns. Go figure.

I've owned many dogs over the course of about 70 years. The last two were rescue dogs -- silver & chocolate Labs. I didn't get them for hunting but more for companion dogs. I have no idea what their pedigree papers looked like, and it didn't matter, They were both the smartest and easily trained pups I've ever had.

Sasha

Sasha2.jpg

Hershey

Hershey.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I think pedigree does matter. When you know the parents, you will also have an idea of what your dog will look like full grown (weight, body composition, head shape). We have a 45 pound female yellow lab who loves to retrieve, and one reason we chose her was we knew she would be smaller, shorter haired, and not a blocky head. These features were valuable for a our hotter climate and we had young kids so smaller was better. Someone in a colder climate looking for a bruising dog duck to get through many negative degree duck hunts probably wants a longer haired, larger dog.

We lost our 14yo Lab this spring and have been deciding what to do for our next dog. It's tough to beat a good Lab. We've looked at Pudel Pointers, and spoken to Bob, but they have a big waiting list so I don't know what we'll do. Let us know what you decide.

As to the breeder question, my last dog had championship pointing lab lines that I was only able to get because I did cement work for the breeder. She was the single best dog I've ever hunted with, but I have no idea if that was luck or breeding.

This was my pups last swim. I can't believe how much I still miss her.
20200822_164224.jpg

I have always gone with black and finding dominant black jeans is difficult, that is why I have gotten my last 2 from oldsquaw kennels in michigan. I bird hunt a great deal and the 2 that I have gotten really did not need much training at all to be very good bird dogs,they have been the smartest of the last 10 I have had. I did spend more than I have ever but glad I did.

The biggest thing with labs is guaranteed joints and eyes.

My first was a chocolate, from a neighbor, who was a hard charging, hunt all day in Feb, male. But he blew a knee and got ACL surgery (I didn't have kids so money was there), he did great on it 5years after.

Second was a papered black, and he was either autistic or full retarded.

Current was a kennel lab from up in Corrine.

She(yellow) started off much more advanced. She's wicked smart, and just gets it.

I'll never go non kennel again after her.

In fact I'll never go make, or chocolate/black after her.

We lost our 14yo Lab this spring and have been deciding what to do for our next dog. It's tough to beat a good Lab. We've looked at Pudel Pointers, and spoken to Bob, but they have a big waiting list so I don't know what we'll do. Let us know what you decide.

As to the breeder question, my last dog had championship pointing lab lines that I was only able to get because I did cement work for the breeder. She was the single best dog I've ever hunted with, but I have no idea if that was luck or breeding.

This was my pups last swim. I can't believe how much I still miss her.
View attachment 42127
Cool picture! Sounds like she lived a long time!

I have had several labs and my wife runs a Labrador website. The temperament and personality comes from breeding IMO. You can get a great dog from a back yard breeder but the most intelligent lab I have had was from a breeder. He was a pointing lab and was crazy smart, great pointing lab/hunter and the best family dog you have ever seen.

We currently have two chocolate labs...one is a rescue and he is not very smart. He is a good looking dog but is just very dopey. The female pup we have is very smart and from a reputable breeder. She has more classic lab characteristics and has a huge hunt drive. Out rescue dog does not have an aggressive bone in his body and is an absolute terrible watch dog. I really think that if somebody broke into our house he would not even bother to wake up. The female is very protective and would lay down her life to protect her pack. I think our male would go live with another family and never look back if they had good food and a soft bed.

My big dog was as friendly as they come. My son learned to walk carrying his leash and walking next to him. He would stand by grabbing my lab. My big dog loved him and would walk right up to him when he looked like he was trying to stand up. He was the keeper of the Cheerios and would do anything to be next to him. My son would sit on him like a horse and the 100 lb gentle giant loved it.

However, the fun goofy side would disappear in an instant when he thought we were in trouble. We had a bear come through camp one night in the Unitas and he walked the perimeter of the camp making it known that he would tear into anything that came to close. He might have just been guarding the cooler (he was a lab after all) but he had an innate ability to know when to sense danger and responded in kind.

I had to travel out of state for work training when my wife was pregnant. She said she was worried and didn’t think he would be a good guard dog. She had seen has lab lifestyle flourish under her watch (couch sleeper, food begging, general lazy lab attitude). However, one night she had locked herself out of the house and actually had to call a locksmith. I felt terrible, pregnant wife locked out of the house at 10:00 PM and I was stuck 2100 miles away. She said she was no longer worried about her safety after that night. She had seen him stand up to a bear but she was really impressed by his response to to locksmith. She said the growling from the other side of the door scared the locksmith. The guy asked her not to open the door until he was safely in his work truck. When she opened the door...out came happy Doc, but he was standing ready to defend the house.

So, I think labs can be ferocious guard dogs when need.

These are two posts I had made in other threads:

****************************​

When my silver lady lab, Sasha, died a while back, my wife and I took her early death pretty hard. As a result, we had vehemently proclaimed, "no more dam_ed dogs."

We fibbed. :)

The tale behind the change of heart.....

After Sasha died, the gal at the Arizona Labrador and Giant Breed Rescue {ALGBR} organization who had facilitated Sasha's adoption for us asked me if I would consider being a foster home. I told her we would -- eventually.

So about two weeks ago she called and asked if I would foster a chocolate lab named Hershey until ALGBR found a permanent home for him. Obviously, before I agreed I asked lots of questions and as usual expressed my dislike for male dogs, even though I've had a couple before.

Turns out Hershey was originally turned over to ALGBR for adoption about a year ago. He was five years old then. So he went into a foster home -- one with many younger kids and two other labs -- a yellow and a black. After a few weeks, the foster family decided to keep him, perhaps because Hershey completed the set of colors, so to speak.

Anyway, that relationship lasted until a couple weeks ago when Hershey grabbed a cookie out of the hand of the 9-yr. old son and accidentally grabbed a finger but didn't even break the skin. The boy is autistic, however. As a result, every time he saw the dog, the kid had screaming fits. Hershey was thus relegated to spending his hours in the laundry room whenever the boy was home. It wasn't the ideal life, especially for a dog like Hershey.

Sooooo...the family rightly decided to return Hershey back to ALGBR for another adoption to someone who could provide a better home environment.

I was somewhat concerned how Hershey would react among all my various taxidermy items -- skins, skulls, etc. laying about the house -- that he would have ready access to. I also don't allow dogs on the furniture, especially the leather stuff in our family room. After I spoke with Holley, the lady of the family, I was finally satisfied Hershey would be fine; she assured me he doesn't chew things other than food and doesn't "do" furniture or beds.

His downside: he supposedly would eat anything he could find on the kitchen counters, floor or whatever, and he barked a lot, especially when he wanted to eat, play, heard noises outside, etc. They even used a bark collar on him. Still, I agreed to take him in until he was adopted.

So on a Sunday a bit over a week ago, Holley brought him to my house. As I watched her walk Hershey up the driveway, I thought she had a black bear on the leash. He's big; she told me he weighed 108 lbs. So in they came and Hershey immediately came to me for a friendly greeting.

At that point, Holley said he probably might need to go out. I removed his leash and had him follow me to the dogie door. He had never used one before. I held open the flap, he went out, did his business and came back in through the door. I never had to show him again.

Next, he went over to Sasha's kennel, grabbed her Kong toy, brought it to me and dropped it at my feet. He then walked off and sat down, waiting for me to toss it to him. He caught it in mid-air, just like Sasha always did.

So he moved in and quickly adapted. That night, he met my wife at the door when she came home from work. I had told her we might be getting him, but she didn't know he would be there that day. She didn't really have a problem with it, yet was surprised to see this monster waiting to greet her.

To date, although we have been careful when defrosting steaks and stuff, he has not even looked at "bait" food we purposely leave on the counter. And I'd bet he hasn't barked more than four or five times since he's been here.

He's highly obedient and knows sit, stay, down, heel and come. He'll walk without a leash and readily climbs into the back seat of my Durango to go for a ride. Within two days, I taught him to "kennel" when we eat dinner. He stays in it with the door open now until I finish eating, get him a treat or two and sit on the sofa in the family room. When I say "OK," he walks over, sits and gives me a paw to get the treats. Best of all, he even listens to Ellen.

After three days here, I quickly assayed Hershey as the perfect gentleman. I quickly decided I wouldn't mind keeping him, even with my dislike for male pups. BUT...I wasn't too sure Ellen would agree to this part since she was reluctant to even do the foster home bit. Thus, I had to wait for the right time to even think about mentioning it.

And now for the rest of the story....

Last Weds. night, I was sitting on the family room couch, and my wife was sitting in the recliner a few feet away. Hershey was sitting next to her on the floor with his head on the arm of the recliner. Ellen was petting him, and Hershey was eating it up. She looked at him and said, "Hershey, you're such a super boy."

Suddenly my brain went "BINGO!" -- the opening I had waited for. I quickly jumped into it.

"You know," I said, "even though I don't care for male dogs, we really ought to think about keeping him."

At that point, I expected one of two replies. Either she might say, "No way. I said no more dogs," or "Well, let's think about it for a while." Instead, I got, "But he's so mellow and good."

Ellen's tone was akin to her almost begging me to reconsider the male dog bit. I knew it was a done deal.

The next day I called the gal at ALGBR and told her we wanted to keep Hershey. She was ecstatic because she had met him when he originally came to ALGBR and thought he was a great dog. So she set up an appointment for a visit to the organization's vet to make sure Hershey was in good shape. Other than a minor ear infection and his weight -- now at 114 lbs. -- every thing tested perfect. Thyroid levels normal, no heartworm, etc.

We are currently in the process of an official adoption. Now we have to work on getting his weight down to the 87 lbs. he was a year ago.

The last two dogs I've owned have been adopted Labs from a rescue organization. The last, Hershey, was a chocolate about 4-5 yrs. old when we got him.

His fav toy was a plain ol' tennis ball. He would lie on his back with the ball in his mouth, then cradle it between his paws and raise it straight up. I would take the ball, put it back in his mouth & he repeated it. He would also lie on his tummy with his legs spread. I would roll the ball between them, & he'd use his nose to push it back to me. I taught him none of it, but I'm guessing someone did.

BUT... when we would go down to our timeshare in Mazatlan, we'd leave him with my oldest son. So one year my son is out in his garage working on his truck with the big door open. His driveway was fairly long and sloped toward the street.

Hershey was out there with him and had a tennis ball. He would take the ball, drop it at the top of the drive and race own to the street to catch it., basically having a game of catch with himself. Then he did all over again. My son said he did it for 15 mins. before he got tired. I can't imagine that anyone taught him that.

Hi all, does buying a lab from a breeder that the parents are champion dogs really make their puppies champions from the get go? We have been thinking of getting another big chunk of Chocolate for awhile and then get a Pudel Pointer a year later from Cedar Pudel Pointers. Now I’ve read a ton about Bob Farris and noticed that a lot of the new breeders of these dogs most are using he’s dogs to get their puppies so why not go to the source and buy from the man himself
Is this going to be a family pet or strictly a hunting dog left out in kennel? The reason I ask is I found that it makes a huge difference on the personality of the dog. So if you are looking for a dog that is going to be with you inside and out you need to find a breeder who socializes their puppies at a young age and the parents are as well I think now days people look more at the parents and their abilities then the letters behind the names.

As several have alluded to, whether to get a pup from a reputable breeder or from someone who bred their lab in the back yard depends on what you want from the dog. I have owned several labs, one from a dyed in the wool duck hunter, one from a back yard breeder, and one who just bred for the chocolate color. By far the smartest was the one from a duck hunter. The dumbest was from a back yard breeder who would tell prospective owners whatever they wanted to hear. Buyer beware and do your research.

Give yourself a leg up and buy from a reputable breeder with good lineage and health clearances. The price of a pup is the cheap part. You don’t want to be heart broken when your pup comes down with a debilitating condition when she’s 5 yrs old that could’ve been prevented with Heath clearances. I’ve owned and trained Labs since I was 8 yrs old , from competing in Field trials, hunts tests and bird dog competitions. Don’t get in a rush and do your research. Good luck

All depends what you want the dog for, but if you’re looking for a dog with a ton of drive, that can often be found in the breeding. While the potential will be there, no dog steps out of the womb a champion. There is a lot of work that goes into that.

If you’re looking for a good bird hunting dog that is a fine family companion, you certainly don’t need significant field trial lines to get that. In fact, some of the most high strung field champion dogs might be too much for many casual breeders. They have too much go in them. Health certifications are the most important thing to be looking for, IMO.

I’m one that simply believes you can’t beat a good lab. Great dogs.

Is this going to be a family pet or strictly a hunting dog left out in kennel? The reason I ask is I found that it makes a huge difference on the personality of the dog. So if you are looking for a dog that is going to be with you inside and out you need to find a breeder who socializes their puppies at a young age and the parents are as well I think now days people look more at the parents and their abilities then the letters behind the names.
Oh yes she’ll be an inside dog as well, definitely part of the family!
my saying is if a rescue dog comes into our home it just won the lottery

thanks

I had a chocolate from Lame Duck in Texas what a prize dog!
we lost her in our home fire. One of the saddest days of my life.
i felt like such a loser that I couldn’t get her out of the house

I had a chocolate from Lame Duck in Texas what a prize dog!
we lost her in our home fire. One of the saddest days of my life.
i felt like such a loser that I couldn’t get her out of the house
Bummer. Fire scares the hell out of me…..I follow my wife around unplugging and turning things off.

My best dog is a backyard dog. Mom was a half Chessie and black lab and dad is an English black lab. She's crazy smart and was the easiest dog I ever trained. My hunting buddy end up with her full brother who is either a Down puppy or worse. 250 dollars versus 1500 or more for a great pedigree. Pedigree might protect you from health issues, but never a guarantee on huntablity.

20200701_122123.jpg

So how many labs do you have ?
I forgot about this thread. I don't have a lifted diesel truck. I don't have a lab. Never have. Great dogs from what I read here. Another reason I came back is I had to put my dog down awhile ago. Right before this thread started. Hug your dogs. Usually I can't consider a new pup for awhile, but circumstances are different this time. I know this is a lab thread, but if anybody knows a good Rottweiler breeder, let me know. I'm an experienced owner of three others in my lifetime and know the dogs. mtmuley

I forgot about this thread. I don't have a lifted diesel truck. I don't have a lab. Never have. Great dogs from what I read here. Another reason I came back is I had to put my dog down awhile ago. Right before this thread started. Hug your dogs. Usually I can't consider a new pup for awhile, but circumstances are different this time. I know this is a lab thread, but if anybody knows a good Rottweiler breeder, let me know. I'm an experienced owner of three others in my lifetime and know the dogs. mtmuley
Sorry to hear about your dog. I love Rottweilers, hope to get one someday.

Good luck in your search!

Sorry to hear about your dog. If I had a thousand rottweilers, you could have them all....

I’ve had labs all my life and this guy here is Waylon… He’s going to be 14 in November he’s been retired from hunting for the past 5yrs. due to the fact he got frostbite on a January hunt and he no longer has toe nails…
The say you only get one very special dog in your life, Waylon is that one for me…

I don’t think you can go wrong with a well breed “black” lab… ?

F0173A9E-C769-4F93-AF1F-ED05BD931B5F.jpeg
83B1F054-6C60-4854-A588-0AF65F59AAB9.jpeg
13ED1DD0-4F80-4FBD-AEF5-71388C1AA65E.jpeg
AF17A809-09EB-4E42-9F9C-ABBE32306F32.jpeg
D5524C6E-3915-471F-8494-FEB2F0A9E0AB.jpeg
62788ACE-6ED1-4C53-930E-16AC8EEB7646.jpeg

Definitely sorry to hear about your dog.

I’m a black guy : I would check into or for Candlewood lines. BearCreek labs. Plan to get my next pup from them.

My opinion: Dogs with great eyes run great lines , and hip guarantee is comforting.

Ive seen a lot of ‘backyard labs’ in SD run circles around guys with $10k field dogs.

Good luck ?

3169BCF5-EE9D-4382-88DA-492038387E93.jpeg

F19013E4-BD15-4995-918C-367572DE8748.jpeg

A00A69EA-7073-4EB6-9E0F-F5D4549902E6.jpeg

B0B20838-A0C4-4803-BD32-790B25957898.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom