LAKE POWELL???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Looks Like It's Just under 25% of Capacity!

They Won't Be Filling it with the Run-Off Off of the Uinta's!

Does Not Look Good?

Well how much water is going back to the eastern front now? Aren’t the diverting water towards that way in higher volume? Asking for someone who’s not affected with this problem.

Well how much water is going back to the eastern front now? Aren’t the diverting water towards that way in higher volume? Asking for someone who’s not affected with this problem.

Roughly 500,000 acre feet per year is diverted to the front range from the Colorado River Basin.

Seems like if we just cut California off of our water, and our power plants, we would be fine.

I propose we make a deal with Mexico.

We get Salma Hayek, and 3 cases of bottom shelf tequila. They get Cali

All our problems are solved

Last the summer the water level was 75 feet lower and 150 yards from the end of the 1.5 mile public boat ramp at Antelope Point I think they have give up extending that ramp. Future doesn't look good for power boating on the Lake.

It's Lower Than That Now!

Last the summer the water level was 75 feet lower and 150 yards from the end of the 1.5 mile public boat ramp at Antelope Point I think they have give up extending that ramp. Future doesn't look good for power boating on the Lake.

As a kid I would go there every year for 10 years. This was in the 80s and 90s. Back then there was no white water line on the cliffs it was so full. My favorite place is long gone. We called it the San Juan Marina, but I think it was really called Paiute farms. We only went there about three times then went to the others. I did some work on the Rez about 30 years later and I was kind of close to it so I decided to go check it out. There is no sign of it anymore, it’s like it disappeared even the footings.

Lake Mead dropping quickly as well. Launch ramp situation is horrible. Shallow hull boats 24' and below and only 2 ramps available (Echo has 2 lanes, Hemenway has 1) on the lake right now.

I just sold my boat this week. Minus the money I put into it, I sold it for what I paid for it 6 years ago. Figure it's a good time to get out for a year or two and rebuy later on depending upon what the lake does.

1648662035527.jpeg

So, I have an idea. I heard a guy talking about it and I expanded on it. Here it is:

We need to build a De saluation (taking salt out of water, and spelling) plant on the Cali coast. Build a pipe line to several places along the Wasatch front. We need to fill the Great Salt Lake. The lake effect snow will help the mountains here get more snow. But also extend that pipe line to Flaming George. Fill all the lakes around here. It will fill all the lakes down stream too, from the rivers and lakes. It will help Southern Utah, Nevada, and southern Cali, and all the areas the are affected by the Colorado River system too.

Anyways, bring water in, and I think that it will help with moisture in the air to cause storms too. I know it would be expensive, but it will affect millions of people to bring water to areas that are desperately needed.

It might come to something like that Mr Robiland!

We can do anything, except for the cost, and it might get to where it's worth it.

Zeke

So, I have an idea. I heard a guy talking about it and I expanded on it. Here it is:

We need to build a De saluation (taking salt out of water, and spelling) plant on the Cali coast. Build a pipe line to several places along the Wasatch front. We need to fill the Great Salt Lake. The lake effect snow will help the mountains here get more snow. But also extend that pipe line to Flaming George. Fill all the lakes around here. It will fill all the lakes down stream too, from the rivers and lakes. It will help Southern Utah, Nevada, and southern Cali, and all the areas the are affected by the Colorado River system too.

Anyways, bring water in, and I think that it will help with moisture in the air to cause storms too. I know it would be expensive, but it will affect millions of people to bring water to areas that are desperately needed.
I think if it were that simple the Californians would be doing it for there own water needs.

And it may be that simple, if it is I doubt you could get the Californians on board to go along with it.

Seems like if we just cut California off of our water, and our power plants, we would be fine.

I think they are going to want to keep Salma Hayek and we'll be giving them the booze. It's a pretty fair deal if we can get rid of California. One catch to this though, they get to keep all the illegals.:p

I'm pretty sure desalination is still cost prohibitive.

I Ain't Got Anything Against Salinity Removal!

We've Went To Alot of Sprinklers Versus Ditches!

Then We Scatter Who Knows How Much Salt Out on the Roadways!

And Then Deer & Elk Feed Along Roadways & Get Run Over Or Should I Say SPLATTERED!

Got Desalination in late stage construction in my town on the coast, expected to generate 50 million gallons per day starting in 2023. I believe this will be the third one in Cali…..at least we will have water in 10 years. ?

If drought continues even for the next 2-3 years, I think it is very realistic to build a pipeline to major watersheds in the west.

We have plenty of water and the ground is way more saturated than they are telling(how much rain did Utah get last late summer into the fall). We need to stop thinking about drought and start thinking about how to “FIRE” the water managers!!

uh...that would need to be a really really really really big pipe......

I wouldn't count on it. Go north.
Piping water from the Pacific Ocean, removing the salt, powering the pumps, without water in the Powell, and Mead or coal or gas in the power plants. mmmmm, maybe physically possible but……. might be cheaper to combine 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen, at the head of the Bear, Weber, Provo, Green, Sevier and the Virgin.

Of course, that would definitely NOT set well with the coastal people in Australia and Bermuda because making new water out of H and O, would raise the levels of the oceans….. permanently.

How about just air lifting Arctic icebergs into irrigation reservoirs.

Hell, if you’re going to take water out of the Pacific, and desalinating it, just give it to homer and his neighbors, don’t pump it all the way to back to Colorado, Utah, and Arizona, it would be way cheaper to take the California bound water out of the Colorado River while it’s on its way by Utah and Arizona, rather than have to send it west, into the Pacific where you add salt to it, then turn around and remove the salt from it, after which you send it back, from where it came, up hill the entire trip, splitting it into thousands of progressively smaller and smaller pipes until it gets to every irrigation/culinary system.

But……… it could be done, and based on the new green deal and the build back better plan. We could just print up some more cash and give it a go.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

Damn, I’m a pessimistic sob!

Last edited:
At one time there was an idea floating around of towing icebergs south from the arctic for fresh water. On the bright side that might expand Polar bear territory.

Didn't say anything about taking water out of the Pacific. North meaning head to the Columbia River drainage region. The Pacific NW. Now ya got me saying "Pacific". ;);)

I also think we should be looking more nationally to integrate our water resources. Headwaters of the Missouri River in Montana to the Wyoming Green River system. Water from the Missouri River in Iowa/Nebraska filtered injected into the Ogallala.

Desalinization is expensive but the trickle losses down due to running out of water will cost ya more.

In the USA water is property of the state and for good reason. It would take some considerable agreements to do trans-drainage projects done but it is possible, which I'd hate to be part of negotiating that SOB. Some of these drainages continue to be regularly 'fat' on water. We spend so many dollars studying, planning, complaining, governing, legislating, engineering, modeling, etc. that if we'd all start looking more nationally we'd be peace of mind and cash ahead. But then what fun would that be and heck there's dollars to be made on the backs of the average Joe.

Columbiarivermap.png

At one time there was an idea floating around of towing icebergs south from the arctic for fresh water. On the bright side that might expand Polar bear territory.
That would create a new opportunity hunt too…… another border line extinct species to worry about, alone with the mule deer.

Add seals and walrus too……. to keep the polar bears off the cows and calfs. Wonder if you could import walrus ivory……….if it’s on a live walrus.

You should check on that deadi.

Didn't say anything about taking water out of the Pacific. North meaning head to the Columbia River drainage region. The Pacific NW. Now ya got me saying "Pacific". ;);)

I also think we should be looking more nationally to integrate our water resources. Headwaters of the Missouri River in Montana to the Wyoming Green River system. Water from the Missouri River in Iowa/Nebraska filtered injected into the Ogallala.

Desalinization is expensive but the trickle losses down due to running out of water will cost ya more.

In the USA water is property of the state and for good reason. It would take some considerable agreements to do trans-drainage projects done but it is possible, which I'd hate to be part of negotiating that SOB. Some of these drainages continue to be regularly 'fat' on water. We spend so many dollars studying, planning, complaining, governing, legislating, engineering, modeling, etc. that if we'd all start looking more nationally we'd be peace of mind and cash ahead. But then what fun would that be and heck there's dollars to be made on the backs of the average Joe.

View attachment 73541
I knew that what ya meant TC. That’s what sparked my idea of taking it out of the Colorado. But, you can’t take it out of somebodies water right with out replacing it……..so there’s no extra down here so it got to come from the Pacific to give Ca it’s water back, if we take it out back here.

You’re absolutely right regarding national water strategic planning but………. It’s very unlikely to happen until the cows are already out of the pasture.

At my age I’d rather hunter polar bear at Fish Lake.

Last edited:

Why do they need the water? They have a huge ocean front

Catalina Island does pump there drinking water from the ocean. But our water is cheaper. It's more expensive to remove the salt. So it is possible !

I think if it were that simple the Californians would be doing it for there own water needs.

And it may be that simple, if it is I doubt you could get the Californians on board to go along with it.
The issue with Desalination is the salt that is left over after taking it out of the water. Where do we discard it?
I guess we could all put it back in the Great Salt Lake but it would be a LOT.

Salt flats?

Every highway in the snow belt?

They evaporate a ton of water out at GSL to get salt.(West of Ogden Bay).

There is a market for salt

Simple solution. Water should cost a premium in the Southwest compared to the Midwest. Could we pack millions of more people in the Southwest and completely dewater everything so more humans can live where they shouldn’t?

Simple solution. Water should cost a premium in the Southwest compared to the Midwest. Could we pack millions of more people in the Southwest and completely dewater everything so more humans can live where they shouldn’t?
The chinese don't allow such foolery......

I Heard on the Radio Today they are gonna start Sucking Flaming Gorge Down!

They Were Also Quick To Blame it on Trump!

I Heard on the Radio Today they are gonna start Sucking Flaming Gorge Down!

They Were Also Quick To Blame it on Trump!
Who was quick to blame Trump??? And what good does sucking down flaming Gorge do? once its drained it how you gonna fill it back up?

I Hear You JakeH!

The Down Streamers Are More Important Than Us!

They Said Trump Signed Something letting Them Suck it Down a ways a couple years ago!

I Don't know the Details!

Who was quick to blame Trump??? And what good does sucking down flaming Gorge do? once its drained it how you gonna fill it back up?

I don't think the Lake affect snow makes it all the way to the Colorado drainage system. It all goes to the Ogden, Weber, and Provo drainages and right back to the GSL.

It is very sad to see how little water lake Powell has. I’ve been fishing Powell for over 30 years. Fortunately the fishing at Powell is as good as ever. I’ll be heading there in a couple weeks.

Sad but fully preventable. Over use causing crises where they are not warranted. Lower basin greed and politifaming of the system.

Back then the crappies were crazy. Never seen anything like it. I’m gunna see if I can dig up some pictures from my mom next time I’m down that way.
Yeah I remember it well. We'd run up to the SanJuan from Wahweep every spring for about a week at a time.... unreal crappie & bass

Maybe that’s the rainbow at the end of this “mismanagement”. As the forage, reptile, bug culture come roaring back, and the lake starts to refill…….. 20 years from now…….. the crappy and bass will roar again…….

Yeah I remember it well. We'd run up to the SanJuan from Wahweep every spring for about a week at a time.... unreal crappie & bass
Back in those days you had to run up “the channel “. Invariably the boat would be overloaded with coolers and gas - and 10 dozen waterdogs. The chop kept us to about 15 mph and that beat you to death.

We were usually broke down by the time we got to rainbow bridge to fill up with that $3 gas ?. By the time you got to the san juan you were in a wilderness.

Abyss of Dementia or not, there’s some great memories percolating from this thread.:cool:

Sounds like our trips up there. We usually went 2x a year - once in the summer for an extended general multi-family fun, fishing, water skiing, camping & exploring based in the Last Chance area. Then a serious guy fishing trip up in the SanJuan every spring. My dad had a 20' SeaRay w jet motor, that took the bumps pretty well, then he sold it & got an 18' aluminum Starcraft that wasn't as much fun. It was a long run up the channel to the SJ all loaded down.

Only going to get worse as we will drop an additional 7’ due to filling lake powell.

Glad I sold my boat when I did. Launch ramps will be a **** show this year. Only 2 lanes (yes 2 actual lanes) on the entire lake right now.

We were doing fine until the influx from the northern midwestern states came...

There was a old barrel that showed up in Lake Mead last week with a body in it. The Mafia has been dumping bodies there for years.
I'm sure this won't be the last one to show up.
They say it might be Bugsy? LOL

This is an innovative idea. Actually really cool idea. I wonder if that would actually work. It would be pretty crazy cause youd have to pump the water so far up hill the costs would be astronomical I would think. But a really cool idea!

This is an innovative idea. Actually really cool idea. I wonder if that would actually work. It would be pretty crazy cause youd have to pump the water so far up hill the costs would be astronomical I would think. But a really cool idea!

It would be easier to get everyone to agree on removing scopes from muzzleloaders and bringing back the herd.

There was a old barrel that showed up in Lake Mead last week with a body in it. The Mafia has been dumping bodies there for years.
I'm sure this won't be the last one to show up.
They say it might be Bugsy? LOL
Apparently a Second one has popped up

We are trying this real time with the development in AZ, CO, UT… I always wonder where the water is supposed to come from when I see vacant land plowed to make room for hundreds of homes or thousands of apartments

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom