Land chip...

stinky

I am looking on getting another GPS private land chip. I priced them the other day and Onyx is expensive....about $150, if I remember right, for one state. The last chip that I bought was only about 100 bucks, and it had 4 states in it....AZ, NM, UT and CO. Onyx has landowner info in it, which I don't need.

So, its there a GPS private land chip, for less, out there?

I guess there is a reason you don't want to use Onyx on your phone? $30 for one state, $99 for entire country.

Last edited:
I assume that ONYX is internet based. Therefore, I'd have to have signal to use it....No?

I found my box for my last one, gonna google their name.

HuntRS

I just got OnX a couple weeks ago and used it on a scouting trip. It was relatively easy to use on the phone..

The thing about downloading the maps, while connected to Wi Fi, scan over the map to the area you want. You can be anywhere, just zero in on the place you think you'll be. You can select a radius, or was it square miles, I don't remember. Anyway, say you download a 10 mile radius around your camping spot. If you wander outside that radius, you'll lose the map - assuming you don't have cell service. You can still mark spots though. When you get back to cell signal, it will load your marked spots onto the map.

Question, since I bought OnX, the entire USA, is the chip an extra cost? I don't like relying on the phone for battery life and other reasons.

I just got OnX a couple weeks ago and used it on a scouting trip. It was relatively easy to use on the phone..

The thing about downloading the maps, while connected to Wi Fi, scan over the map to the area you want. You can be anywhere, just zero in on the place you think you'll be. You can select a radius, or was it square miles, I don't remember. Anyway, say you download a 10 mile radius around your camping spot. If you wander outside that radius, you'll lose the map - assuming you don't have cell service. You can still mark spots though. When you get back to cell signal, it will load your marked spots onto the map.

Question, since I bought OnX, the entire USA, is the chip an extra cost? I don't like relying on the phone for battery life and other reasons.
Joe
The chips are extra but you can buy used one from people who don’t use them anymore also. With a current OnX subscription you can update the chips to the most current land status also.

Not sure that I understand....but if I download the maps beforehand, will it show me where I am, on the map, when I don;t have signal?

Not sure that I understand....but if I download the maps beforehand, will it show me where I am, on the map, when I don;t have signal?
Yes if you have your GPS on. For **** sake stomper you’re not that old!!!

Let me clarify, if I am using the app on my phone, w/o a signal, can I still navigate?
yes....don't ask me how....but yes.....as long as you downloaded the areas you want with service or wifi

it you only download the largest allowable are you can't zoom in for detail......important areas download the 5 mile...or smallest area possible....I don't remember the radius

I have been dragging my feet on this. I went Antelope hunting w/my old chip. It didn't really tell me anything as I knew where the private was.

A guy tell me to go see zxc. I google him an go to his house. The wife says that she can let me on. I go to the car and get a map...she really can't give me that much info, but she puts me between and on the correct county roads. I am pressing her for boundaries and she says..."Do you have Onyx?"

Afterwards, when I get home, I download, "Hunt" something or other, from the App store on my phone. Free. It is green w/a white deer head in the logo. It shows their property being a touch bigger. That "Touch" had antelope on it...at least one.

We'll see how it works. Probably not this year as I am hunting the NF next.

There are several navigation apps you can use on your phone. OnX, BaseMap and Backcountry Navigator are 3 that I've used and all work without cell signal as phones have built-in GPS. OnX and BM are yearly subscriptions (have to renew every year whereas BC Navigator is a 1 time charge. Each has there pluses and minuses. I tend to like BC Navigator the best of those 3 as it's relatively easy to use and has more map types available.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom