Laramie Peak- how to tell if road is private or public

robAK

Poked around the Laramie Peak area and found a piece of public that looks promising. I can access it from a forest service road, but there’s a two track that runs through private that crosses public before ending. If public it cuts a lot of work to get into the area. It’s posted at a cattle guard “no trespassing “. Seems if it was private they’d put in a gate.
what’s your thoughts.

To put it simply. The only way to know, is to know. You cannot discern what is private and what is not by lack of gate, or fence, or house. Most counties have their land records online. Go to that counties website and look. It should be easy to figure out,

Good chance it's private if it's posted. Up there G&F has HMAs and walk in areas so stuff is well marked.
Lots of ranchers have a cattle guard instead of a gate, no need for a gate to have to open in winter.
Ask the biologist via email about the area and the road, he'll get back soon as he can with an email, too busy for calls right now.

I was told if it shows as a two track on the map, you can drive on it if its public land and in a non-walk in only area. The second ths 2 track enters private, you are trespassing. If its a designated county road that turns into a two track on private, the road becomes private.

OnX is your best friend if you want to say off private.

You're braver than I. Was up that way on Esterbrook yesterday and the camps that popped up in the last 2 days were rediculous. I cant imagine what Thursday morning will look like up there.

OnX is worthless for determining public vs. Private roads. Your best bet is the county website which shows all numbered county roads, another source is the BLM area office to verify a public easement or numbered BLM road allows access. If unsure don’t trespass as in Wyoming it is the hunters responsibility to remain off private lands.

Also be sure to check which trails/roads allow dirt bikes, atvs and vehicles less than 50" wide. It gets really confusing up there as to which are walking only and which and how far can be accessed via a motorized vehicle.

If doesnt have a number or a name its private
Names and numbers don't always mean public. there may or may not be an easement to cross private...best way to know is to contact the local CO or someone at the county courthouse...the assessors office is usually happy to help.

Names and numbers don't always mean public. there may or may not be an easement to cross private...best way to know is to contact the local CO or someone at the county courthouse...the assessors office is usually happy to help.
Show me a public road that doesnt have a name or number ill wait

Drive down it real slow, stop, hang out for a bit. If you see a truck coming at you in warp speed it’s a rancher coming your way to let you know it’s “Private” even though it may be public.

robAK how has the hunting been going ?
pm me the road name or where it is, I might know something about it.

I appreciate it guys. Unfortunately I wont be hunting down there this year with work obligation changes. With what you guys have posted I should get all the information I need. Thanks wytex for the offer and again, thanks guys.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom