Largest Uintas bull of all time???

c3

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON May-15-05 AT 08:03PM (MST)[p]Lets see some pics of the largest bull you've ever seen or taken in the High Uinta open bull unit(s).

It would be interesting to see what the largest bull scores and what their horns look like.

I've seen some I would guess at around 330 - 350 but in the heat of the moment they were probably like this one :)

spike.jpg

Seriously though, I'd like to see what might be the biggest bull from up there.

Cheers,
Pete

c3

THERE ARE SOME 350" CLASS BULLS ON THE UINTA'S!!!

WE JUST MEASURE THEM DIFFERENT!!!

TAKE THE LENGTH OF THE ANIMAL MULTIPLY IT BY THE HIEGHTH AND THEN MULTIPLY BY 2,THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE IN AN OPEN AREA!!!

ON THE SERIOUS SIDE THERE HAVE BEEN A HANDFUL OF 330-350 BULLS TAKEN,HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED THE POWERBALL LOTTERY,ODDS ARE ABOUT THE SAME,OH BUT HELL THE OPPORTUNITY!!!

THAT PIC YOU HAVE POSTED IS DEFINATELY A UINTA 350 BULL,HE'S GOT THE BODY DIMENSIONS TO PROVE IT!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WILLING TO TRADE MY GENERAL (UINTA) ELK TAG FOR ANY LE ELK UNIT TAG PLUS SOME CASH,ANY TAKERS???

Pete, where do you hunt in the Uintas? PM me if you like. I have been going up to the Uintas all my life. I just got back from my annual fishing trip to Browne lake. I saw about 33 head of elk in one meadow. My grandpa hunted elk up around Browne lake area back in the 60's and did very well. I hunted elk back in by fox lake (South Slope) last year and never saw an elk. We rode back in 12 miles on mules and scouted a lot of country and didn't turn up anything. Anyone have any info on elk hunting the North slope of the Uintas. I know there is a pretty decent bull that is hanging up in the Spirit Lake Lodge. Apparently it was killed near Tamarack Lake. I've heard good things about Potter lakes area. Any info at all would be appreciated?

Mike

c3,
I sent a picture of my 1996 limited entry bull from the north slope spirit lake area. Should be in you're e-mail by now

Ok Pete, your sarcasm drew me in just like you had hoped.

Seriously, 2 bulls come to mind, that I know of, from the Uintahs one is a 340 the other a 350. I do not remember detailed scores, but both bulls are very nice.

You are right, your picture represents many fine Utah bulls from a general area. Your picture is proof that the Wildlife Board should meet and issue one more tag. This spike should die and never even suggest he might see old age. Someone should send some hot lead or a broadhead through him immediately.

What should hunters expect Pete? By analyzing the wapiti lifecyle, one would quickly realize that this spike is a 1.5 year old elk that is legal game. Therefore, since he is legal, meets the minimum requirements, and is Mother Nature's way of beginning the growth of this elk, you and I should expect nothing better or bigger. Afterall, this elk represents what was typical off of a general unit 20 years ago. So as a general season guy this represents the best I should hope for.

I would agree if a lazy road hunter or ATV hunter drove around this is what he would harvest. If people would hunt the Uintahs, that is right hunt the Uintahs, they could get a big bull. This would require work and hunting, not shooting. There are hundreds of square miles of wilderness where big bull live in the Uintahs. Get in shape, hike in, and big bulls can be had. It takes work.

Help me to understand your opportunity motives Pete. You state 20 years, 13 points, and no tag. What drives you to believe in the 4.5 year old age objectives at a time the scales are swinging in your favor? I am in the same boat and maybe you could help me understand your thought process to sway my opinion.

KTC, that's not exactly the topic of this post. I'd like to see some pictures of the bigger bulls from the Uinta's. Simple as that.

We can leave the greatly detailed subject of limited entry units for another time. The short and sweet of my possition is that I'm not so selfish as to expect to get my chance within the next few years and never live to see the day my sons of 6 and 15 years can hunt a limited entry unit with my help.

I personally saw five 6x6 or bigger bulls in the Uinta's last year. While I was searching for a lost elk I ran across the spike above and shot him dead with my camera :)

I've had my most incredible hunting experiences bivy camping after the elk in the Uinta's. I've not been fortunate enough to get the job done on one of them after all these years, but I chalk that up to personal problems, if you know what I mean :)

Do me a favor and go take some pictures of those bulls you've heard about. I'd love to see them.

Cheers,
Pete

I sent the picture to c3's e-mail address and maybe he will post the little guy. I too have seen some big boy's on the general rifle hunt, even helped a kid drag one down a burnt out draw a couple years ago. Probably scored around 330 and a year before that I watched another one walk through some bushes and never seen him again. My gun was laying against a tree and I had been there wrapped in a blanket for an hour before sunrise, stood up to see what all the noise was, walked ten feet to get a better view and about 30 cows and this big guy walks through a little opening in the trees. He probably would have scored around 330-350. Learned a lesson then, if you move , you're gun should be in hand!! Both of these bulls were on the south slope within 1/2 a mile from the gravel road.

Sorry, this took so long. Here's buttshots bull from up there.

northslopebull1996a.jpg

Lets see some more of these guys.

Cheers,
Pete

The Uintas are not for those who are concerned with score. They need to wait 10-40 years for a limited entry tag to appease their ego. I have had a limited entry tag and my opinion is that the Uintas hunt is much more difficult and rewarding. My 320 bull off the Uintas is a trophy in my book, even though many may think it is small.

It is all about the hunt, not the tape.

Packout

YOUR 320 BULL IS A TROPHY FOR SURE!!!

YOU'LL NEVER HEAR ME SAY YOUR BULL IS SMALL!!!

HERES THE DEAL!!!

THE UINTA'S COULD OF BEEN ONE OF THE BEST UNITS IN THE STATE!!!

BUT WHEN THE 'COW KILLER' HUNTS CAME ALONG THE HERDS WERE SHOT DOWN CONSIDERABLY!!!

CONTINUOUS HUNTING PRESSURE ON THE HERDS FROM MID-AUGUST THROUGH JANUARY AND SOMETIMES INTO FEBRUARY!!!

JUST HUNT UNTIL YOUR TAG HAS BEEN FILLED BASICALLY!!!

MOST BULLS ARE SHOT BY AGE 3-4,WHAT DO YOU END UP WITH,A RAGHORN REGION WITH A FEW EXCEPTIONS LIKE YOUR BULL!!!

I'M NOT SAYING IT'S NOT POSSIBLE TO TAKE A NICE BULL,WHAT I'M SAYING WITH SOME PROPER MANAGEMENT IT COULD BE A HELL OF ALOT BETTER!!!

A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF UNLIMITED 'OPPORTUNITY'!!!

LETS ASK THIS QUESTION:HOW MANY 380"+ BULLS HAVE CAME OFF THE UINTA'S???

NOTHING TO DO WITH AN EGO PROBLEM,BUT IF YOU HAD A CHANCE AT A QUALITY BULL & A RAGHORN STANDING TOGETHER WOULD YOU SHOOT THE SMALLER BULL BECAUSE HE WEIGHS 100 POUNDS LESS & WILL BE EASIER TO GET OUT???

I HIGHLY DOUBT IT!!!

THE UINTA ELK HERD IS ONE OF THE CLEANEST (STRAINS) HERDS IN THE WORLD,ONE OF THE BIGGEST RANCH RAISED BULLS CAME FROM A COW OFF THE SOUTH SLOPE,YES IT TAKES GENETICS ON BOTH SIDES!!!

AS I'VE & OTHERS HAVE STATED MANY TIMES,WE WILL WAIT OUR TURN (IF WE EVER GET ONE???),BUT TO WAIT OUR TURN AND END WITHOUT THE "OPPORTUNITY" WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR BECAUSE OF GREED WOULD BE FLAT ASS WRONG,YA SEE THERES TWO KINDS OF OPPORTUNITY AT THE PRESENT TIME,I'D HATE TO SEE IT BECOME QUANTITY OPPORTUNITY RATHER THAN QUALITY OPPORTUNITY!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING SOMEBODY WILL SURELY CALL ME AN OPPORTUNIST NOW,IT'S O.K.,AS LONG AS YOU PUT QUALITY IN FRONT OF THE OPPORTUNITY!!!

IMO a 320 bull on a open any bull unit is the equivelent to shooting a 360 bull on a limited entry unit. Many Utah hunters have developed, over the last 10-15 years, a false preception of a trophy elk because there are so many 350-400 class bulls killed in Utah every year. 20 years ago any bull with 6 points was considered an absolute monarch. I personally would rather kill a 320 bull in the thick timber or open parks of the Uintas than a 350 bull in the Cedars of Southern Utah.

Mike

LAST EDITED ON May-17-05 AT 11:02PM (MST)[p]Here is a pic of my Uintah Archery Bull of 2004.
5PointBull.jpg

He may not be a monster but he is a Trophy to me none the less. You mention hard work for these guys? Yes, it was. I killed him at 8:00 pm on the opener. Took a load out with me that evening, got to the truck at 12:30 a.m. Started down after him the next morning at 7:30 a.m. and brought the last load out at 4:30 p.m. I was exhausted!

The year before I "screwed the pooch" on a nice 320-330, 6 point bull in the same area. ARRRGH!!!!!

WhiteSkull.jpg

If you really have to know...No man's Gulch

Bob...bess, don't forget that as the snow pushes them down and into wyo. they get shot over there. I think it was 'elkslayer' that got checked by a Wyo. gamer and was told they shoot over a hundred bulls every year in wyo. during the winter on depredation tags. That aint helping an occasional bull grow a little bigger for one more year of the Uinta's.

Nice bull blacktimber!!

Keep the faith ktc and c3.......... your time will come!!!

Please

YES,THERE ARE SEVERAL FACTORS!!!

POOR MANAGEMENT WILL DECIMATE THE BEST OF HERDS!!!

WHAT IRRITATES ME IS THEY KNOCK THE HELL OUT OF THE COWS FOR YEARS,ONE DAY THEY WAKE UP (JUST A LITTLE!!!)OH,WE'VE GOT TOO MANY BULLS FOR THE AMOUNT OF COWS,WHAT DO THEY DO,BULL DEPERDATION BULL HUNTS,WHAT A FRICKEN JOKE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING WHERE THESE JOKERS COME UP WITH THESE BATTLE PLANS,MAKES YOU WONDER IF IT WAS ALL A PIPE DREAM???

There you go Blacktimber! That's a dandy.

I love how wide many of the bulls from up there are. Long curled up 2nds and dinky 3rds seem to be the norm.

Cheers,
Pete

Black Timber,

That is a great bull! And truly an accomplishment to take it with a bow on the General Hunt.

Bess:

Your comment was one of the best comments I have heard on here: "THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING WHERE THESE JOKERS COME UP WITH THESE BATTLE PLANS"

Good thread Pete. It brings out some good talk and debate.

Pack, a 320 is a great bull. I had the chance to get in on a 300 general season bull and it was exciting. 320 is not small no matter where you hunt. I hope you did not refer to my ego because I do not need mine stroked. I have shot cows, spikes, raghorns, and a few younger six points. I would like one crack at a 7 year old. There is something to be said about a nice general seaon bull, just as there is a big LE bull.

I think the chance for a good bull is in the Uintahs. Unfortunately, I do not know the area and the area is so big it could take a lifetime to figure it out.

Pete, the 340 bull I spoke of was not Uintah, but early years Manti draw. However, this same guy has a 7 point that I would guess around 330 from the Uintahs. He is a nice elk with some extras. No, score does not matter. He is just a great bull that would not be passed on a LE hunt.

I love this post. After drawing my LE 3 years ago I have a difficult time chasing spikes with my archery takle. Instead of hunting Idaho last year we decided to give the Uintas a try. Talk about work for a good bull. We got into elk and other hunters every day. A good time for all. In seven days I saw 4 bulls that would break the 320 mark, nothing bigger than that. Definate trophies though! I was wishing I could have taken a shot with my camera at least. But ohhh the memories of a good 5 point bull catching my 6 year old son and I off gaurd, sneaking in from behind us, silent as can be to the sound of my hoochie mama when my bow was laying on the ground next to us. The look on his face with a bull that size at 20 yards is worth evey mile we put on foot. Until September.

Jay

Congrats to those of you who have been successful out there. I've seen a few 300+ bulls over the years, but they're usually on indian or private. I'd imagine that the hunting could be tons better if it wasn't for all of the cow tags, the indians killing the elk on the southern end in the winter and Wyoming kill the elk on the northern end.

Blacktimber-that's a great bull! Just curious if he was shot on the south slope or north, private or public?

My family has hunted the same area on the north slope for 20+ years. We've got one 300+ bull and a handful of raghorns and spikes.

I know the youth hunt has made it tougher to find big bulls where we hunt, but good for the kids.

Prism, he is a south slope bull. Public land. about 2.5 miles from the nearest atv buzzing road.

I remember several years ago after elk season on the South Slope we saw a herd of over 300 elk. There was exactly 1 bull in the herd, a spike. I'd concider nearly any elk from there a good find.

The area I hunted on the south slope, back in 2000, when the big bull walked away and my gun on the ground ten feet away, had over 30 bulls taken out during the general season. Some of those boys were very nice. There are some big ones taken out of there every year. Up around the Red Cloud Loop.I have hunted there 4 years and still don,t know where they hang out, but i do know that rag horns are taken every year.
For all the responses to this post, there are very few pictures, even my little guy, who was taken on the north slope Spirit Lake area.Doesn't any one else want to show off there trophies from the Uintah's?

428c06c636a560c8.jpg

This is a bull I shot on the south slope 15 years ago. Scored 318 his outside width is what impresses me. 49 7/8 inches wide outside. Not a bad bull back in the day when you did not hear of to many 350 plus being taken in the state except on private land hunts only.

Here is a bull I took in '00. Just a decent 4x3 bull. South Slope, 9AM, 20 yard rifle shot, 2 mile packout. We usually take one bull between two of us each year. Mainly spikes and raghorns, but have seen some beauties, just haven't had good shot opportunities.

Not the biggest bull, but it was good times and good eatin!

I've cropped the pic a bit to keep the sensitive folks happy!

428c2c2564482242.jpg

Warbirdum, that bull scores 318? Really? I killed a bull pretty similar to that last year in AZ that scored about 300. I have the pictures but I don't know how to post them.

I would like to see a pic from AZ"raghorn"hunter so we could question if his bull really scores 300". Really? Maybe he missed the point of the post was for UINTA bulls.

Warbirdum, that is a nice Uintas bull. Congrats to you and he definately looks to go what you said.

KTC- No, I wasn't trying to single any one person out. I just enjoy the fact that I can hunt elk every year and there is the chance to shoot a good bull. BUT, a guy who only looks at score would want the Uintas to go limited entry so he could have a chance to shoot bulls that score xxx inches. BOBCATBESS showed his colors by asking how many 380 bulls I have seen off the Uintas. Score, score, score, blah blah blah.

As for the Uintas herd and the DWR, well that over the counter cow tag deal a few years back was a joke. Besides that the DWR has done an ok job with what they have to work with. The North Slope herd gets slaughtered by Wyoming. A lot of the South Slope herd gets slaughtered or SOLD by the Indian Reservation. The DWR does the best with what they have to work with out there.

Packout, you kill me! But really, are you joking? No seriously.....are you joking? If you're not joking then I'm taking my toys & going home. :(

AZtrophyhunter,
Hey I would not lie about the score of my bull.And if the bull you got last year was a 300 inch bull and looks the same as mine it should. 18 inches does not make my bull a great deal larger than yours.Just add a small amount to the points per side and main beams throw in a little mass and inside spread and WOW it can add up fast.I was just saying for where it came from it is a decent bull.I would love to see a picture of your 300 inch elk.
Have a great day..

I didn't say you were lying, to me it didn't look like a 320 bull & I apologize if it came across as an attack. All I was really trying to get at was have somebody post the pics so we could compare just for the hellllll of it. You have a point though, the difference between 300 & 320 is minor, a couple of inches here & there. I have to laugh at packout though, he acts like he's the owner of the post & nobody has the right to say anything unless you've killed a small bull on the unitas or whatever it's called. I killed my bull in a unit in AZ not known for quality. I waited 6 years to draw a the tag because I didn't have the patience to wait 10 for a premier unit tag. So, I guess Packout & I are in the same vote. But I'm still taking my toys & going home.

Thanks ktc,
Not the biggest bull and to some considered a Utah raghorn but why I even put it in this post is because this bull did come from the uintahs.

I am glad you put up the picture. I like looking at them. The elk is very nice at 320 whether from the Uintahs or Pahvant. General season just puts some icing on the cake. Good job.

I enjoy seeing the pictures also ktc I hope more people add some pictures to this post of bulls harvested from the uintas both old time photos and more recent photos.

AZ- No I was serious. In a 4 sentence post you asked 2 times if War's bull was that big. Sounded a little brash to me. If you didn't mean it that way then disregard my previous post.

Packout

I'M ASKING A QUESTION!!!

YOU ACT LIKE ITS A SIN!!!

I'M NOT BEING SMART,BUT FOR YOU OPPORTUNISTS THAT THINK ITS NEAT YOU CAN SHOOT ANYTHING WITH ELK FUR ON IT YEAR AFTER YEAR NEED TO ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!

HOW MANY 380" CLASS BULLS YOU EVER SEEN ON THE NORTH,WEST,EAST OR SOUTH SLOPE???

DEAD OR ALIVE,IT'S GETTING LATE & MY 'GIVE A DAMN' IS BUSTED!!!

PART OF WHAT YOU SAID IS VERY TRUE,BUT THE DWR DOING THEIR BEST,I HOPE TO GOD THAT AIN'T THEIR BEST!!!

COW SLAUGHTERS RUNNING INTO JAN. & SOMETIMES FEB.,IN MY BOOK THAT AIN'T THE BEST ANYBODY COULD DO!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WAITING FOR MORE 350"+ CLASS BULL PIC'S OFF THE UINTA'S!!!(AND THIS AIN'T NO BLAH,BLAH,BLAH!!!

O.K.

NOBODY WANTS TO ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!

I'LL RE-PHRASE IT A BIT!!!

HOW MANY 180" BULLS HAVE BEEN TAKEN OFF THE UINTA'S???

SORRY FOR OFFENDING THE OPPORTUNISTS!!!

FOR ALL YOU BOYS THAT WANT OPPORTUNITY ENJOY THE AREA BUT REMEMBER,THERES ALOT OF COMPETITION FOR THEM BULLS,COWS,CALVES,JANUARY COWS & ANYTHING ELSE THAT MOVES,ALMOST SCARY AT TIMES!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WAITING FOR SOMEBODY TO TURN THEIR LE TAG BACK IN,I PROMISE I'LL GIVE YOU MY SLOPE PERMIT,OPPORTUNITY UNLIMITED!!!

c'ASS

YOU DON'T NEED TO WELCOME ME HERE,I ALREADY KNOW I LIVE IN UTARD!!!

THE OPPORTUNISTS GOT THEIR WAY ON THE FISH LAKE UNIT AND DESTROYED IT,I SURE HOPE THEY'RE HAPPY NOW!!!

OH,BY THE WAY,HOW THE HELL ARE YA???

THE ONLY bobcat SUGGESTING ONCE & AGAIN:LE UNITS WERE NEVER SET UP FOR THE OPPORTUNISTS,BUT THEY SURE WANT A PIECE OF IT NOW THAT ITS GOOD,JUST HOW MUCH TIME & EFFORT DID ANY OF YOU OPPORTUNISTS PUT IN TO THE LE UNITS??? (GO AHEAD,ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!)

Utah is simple, pay us the money and you can shoot a big elk. Each LE unit has big bulls in them. Just need to find them. Soon Utah will realize that people aren't gonna pay a grand to hunt elk that are no longer there.....
Utah has been that way as long as I can remember. Monroe, when reopened back in the last 70's was a prime deer unit. Amazing animals all over the place from what i've heard. Then they took it, made it a 3pnt or better unit and now what do you have? A bunch of californians on the south side, a bunch of utah residents on the north shooting every 2pnt in sight.... Mother Nature isn't stupid, they know how to survive. The big ones don't get big by being dumb, just need to get out and find them. I'll put money theres a 400 bull somewhere up in the high uintas. I mean hell, seems like the rest of utah is producing 400 bulls left and right the past 2-3 years.
To Be honest, i'm about ready to just give up on hunting utah until they change their acts. People are not gonna pay 240 bucks to hunt deer that are nothing great anymore. People aren't gonna pay 1000 bucks to hunt elk that aren't there anymore.
Other then that i'm doing good. Dad got back from idaho a few weeks ago, took a gorgeous cinnamon black bear with his wetherby. Having it full body mounted. Taking his elk up to the cabin this weekend so i'll be in brianhead this weekend.
How have you been? Still driving that john deere to work?

-Cass

c'ASS

DID YOU DOUBLE YOUR MONEY???

MAYBE ENOUGH TO BUY AN LE TAG AT ONE OF THE BANQUETS???

OR AT LEAST ENOUGH TO BUY THAT 1000.00 NON-RES PERMIT???

THE OPPORTUNITY IS ENDLESS!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING GAMBLING MIGHT BE MORE PRODUCTIVE THAN BIG GAME DRAWINGS,I'M LOSING MY TAIL IN BOTH!!!

c'ASS

WHEN YOU SAID POUR,I THOUGHT YOU WERE POURING 25.00 TOKENS INTO THEM MACHINES!!!

DID YOU KEEP THE FOOTPRINTS,INITIALS,ETC. OUT OF THE MUD???

I HATE TO GET PERSONAL BUT WHATS YOUR ANNUAL GROSS EARNINGS IN THE CASINO'S???

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING THERES JUST WAY TOO MUCH FUN FOR A UTARD IN VEGAS!!!

Yes, we have 2 foremans stay and watch the mud until it begins to harden up, Any footprints, initials will either be backcharged to the casino or they can pay us again to rip it out and redo it if they don't want the initials. I don't know what the annual gross earning of a casino is bud, I do concrete work, I don't work in a casino.

-Cass

c'ASS

I KNOW YOU DON'T WORK IN A CASINO!!!

WHAT I WAS ASKING IS HOW MUCH DO YOU MAKE BY GAMBLING???

I'M STILL IN THE HOLE THANKS TO NEVADA!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING PROFESSIONAL GAMBLERS MUST MAKE A BUNCH,ALMOST ENOUGH TO AFFORD A UTAH LE TAG!!!

Oh, I don't gamble bobcat, Working on getting a new car and setting up a Whitetail hunt for next year. Plus I need some new hunting gear so my money goes to that as well as the normal essentials.

-Cass

Bess,

Didn't you about the guy from the UK?????? He took his life
savings (I think around 600K) and played the roulette wheel.
He ended up winning. Maybe thats the only way to score a 350 bull.

The only bobcat thinking about a 401K withdrawal!!!!!!!!!

BEST

I ONLY HAVE TWO PROBLEMS WITH THAT PLAN!!!

I'M SHORT ABOUT 599K!!!

AND!!!

I DON'T HAVE A 401K!!!

SO I GUESS IT'S BACK TO THE DRAW WITH THE ODDS AGAINST ME!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WANTING TO PLAY THE ROULETTE WHEEL WITH 'BESTS' WITHDRAWL!!!

Bess,

Lets put it this way: If I play the roulette wheel with my
life savings and win, I would qualify for a "highly coveted"
Jackalope archery tag. I am sure you all ready know what that$%@#%@#$%@#$% Davis did with my 401K!!!

The only bobcat cat thinking retirement will come at 78!!!!!!

I absolutely love elk hunting the black timber of the high Uintas. 6 bulls in 7 years. One 6x6, three 5x5's, two spikes, and two flathead freezer fillers (cows). Below are some pics. All buls (and cows) were taken within a 1 mile circle.

4295fd0429f78c81.jpg

This is my biggest bull. No limited entry here, but would rival any unit offered. Took four shots with my .300 mag to finally get him down. It also took six guys plus a horse all day to pack him out.

4295fd232a373c0d.jpg

This is a 5x5 shot on opening morning.

4295fd412a5a8dd2.jpg

This is a small 5x5, but actually was my toughest hunt. I am most proud of this little bull because it took nine days of hunting in the black timber before I found this bull. (I apologize for the blood. My camera was dead and had to wait for a buddy to get the pic. By then it was too late as the work already had started)

4295fd582a64500f.jpg

This was the last ML300 elk hunt offered, and a productive one.

Sorry guys, no spike or cow photos allowed.

losthuntr

THATS THE KIND OF BULL I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

WITH SOME GENETICS!!!

MANAGEMENT!!!

AGE CLASS!!!(AND I'M NOT TALKING THAT NEW 4-5 YEAR OLD BULL$HIT!!!)

THE TERRAIN IS THERE!!!

THE POTENTIAL IS THERE!!!

BUT EVEN IF IT HAPPENED AND THERE GOT TO BE A FEW BULLS LIKE THAT,THE OPPORTUNISTS WOULD BE HAVING VISIONS OF SLAUGHTERING 300" CLASS BULLS AND JUST COULDN'T STAND NOT TO SHOOT EM!!!

ONE OF THE BIGGEST BULLS EVER RAISED ON A RANCH CAME FROM A COW(MOTHER) OFF THE SOUTH SLOPE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING IF SOMEBODY HAS A PICTURE OF THE 403 BULL???

429d2c9426229684.jpg

429d2cdf26643166.jpg

429d2d0a26a21ba6.jpg

429d2dd027cbb885.jpg

429d2dfe27f71fea.jpg

429d2e54285e02b8.jpg

429d2e6d287c0184.jpg

These are photos of a bull I video taped last
year deer hunting in the Uintas, I was in my tree stand when he
came out. Not the biggest but awesome to see, I filmed him for 3 minutes before he left.

This spike I called in with a hyper lip bugle, also in the Uintas.
429d2fd22ad54744.jpg

Enjoy

Allen

Great bulls guy's! I really enjoyed the wallow sequence of photos! Those elk are sure awesome critters! Have a great day guy's and keep the pic's rolling!

Chad

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-05 AT 06:52PM (MST)[p]Hey we're getting some nice ones posted here :)

Here's a couple more from Jason Clegg's cousin and nephew from 2003.

kevin-5x5a.jpg

trevor-6X5a.jpg

Cheers,
Pete

I've hunted the Uintah's off and on for quite a few years. Rag horns and spikes have ususally been the norm for what I've taken. However, in 2003 I called in an upper 200's bull that my nephew shot at 30 yards. I've got pictures but I don't have a web site to download them too so that they can be posted. If someone would be willing, I could email them and someone could post them for me. The Uintah's are a challenging hunt, but tie it in with some fishing and good friends and family and you can't beat it.

Smokepole

Here is a picture of a 5 point I took a few years back on the North Slope. Tough hunt, back in 8 miles with horses and camp. Alan

429f24e1439184e6.jpg

Here's a couple of pics of Jaron's bull smokepole called in. Nice one!

Jaron-Bull-2003.jpg

Jaron-Mike-Bull-2003.jpg

Cheers,
Pete

Nice one's Alan!

I thought maybe we'd get to go up there and hunt together this year, but now look what you've done. Gone and drew a Dutton permit and left me hanging again this year. LOL!

How's the scouting been going so far?

Cheers,
Pete

here are a couple of pics of a bull I shot in 2002 on the north slope. He is nice 6x6 not real heavy but still the best and only bull I've ever shot.

292834.jpg

292835.jpg

292837.jpg

Jake Sorensen

That's what we're talking about there Jake! I've seen em, bugled em and wished I could get one, but not so far :)

Congrats on a great bull.

Cheers,
Pete

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-05 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]they are there it's just a matter of finding them, the weekend after I shot that one I went up with my dad and uncle and I saw on bigger than the one I had shot, but of course I couldn't shoot it and we were split up so nobody with a tag got a shot at him. Oh ya I actually shot him in 2003 not 2002, time just goes to fast.

Jake

Some decent bulls, but it is sure sad to see that out of all the folks that have hunted the Uintas, all the pictures that have been posted...that these are the biggest that are to show. Not to knock anyone on heres bull because a couple of them are nice. You would sure think that IF there were any monsters on the South Slope...somebody would luck into one and have a pic to share :) Nice photos to those who have shared. Good luck to me and the other 10,000 that will be up there again this year to find that bull of a lifetime :) :)

We should all be extremely grateful that we still have a small peice of land left here in Utah that is a general elk "over-the-counter" hunt. I am dreading one of these years hearing that they are going to shut this "any bull" hunt down in the Uintas and create some ridiculous LE hunt. Lets hope that after all the "spike-bull" hunters read this post, we won't have 15,000 hunters up there this fall.

I agree, most of the bulls are average at best, including mine (pics below), but in my opinion, these black timber, high country Uinta bulls are TRUE trophies. They take a lot of hard work. Some are fortunate enough to draw LE tags and hunt those 300+ bulls during the middle of September, in the heart of the rut, with a rifle. Those bulls are just a lucky tag draw, by a lucky person. Yes they are huge, but no more of a trophy than these high Uinta bulls by all of us with pictures on this post.
(And I sure hope I can draw out one of these years)

I have seen a few big bulls up in the Uintas. They like to hide on the steep north slopes, in the dark black timber. They are nearly impossible to get close to during the rifle or muzzleloader hunts.

42a5ef0452f7c7a9.jpg

42a5ef26531eb097.jpg

42a5ef45536c9fa6.jpg

Until I get lucky enough to draw a LE tag, this will be my trophy that I hang proudly on the wall...

Never had the big one scored. What's the difference if he scores 290" or 310". He still won't fit on any wall in my house!!!

those are some awesome bulls mbaldo, I'm hoping I can connect with another one like one of those on my hunt this year

Jake Sorensen

Jake, thanks for the compliment. I hope you connect this year too. Man, with all this water and green foilage, the antler growth will be phenomenal. The hunts are right around the corner and I wish all you fellow "any bull" black timber elk hunters all the luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom