Lassen antelope alternate

Jenks

#5 alternate. Anyone know on average how many tags are surrendered. Quota is 35 , so not sure if I need to prepare.

That’s interesting and good encouragement, hope you don’t get a call two weeks before the season after making plans for another hunt at the same time out of state.?

I have a hunch that as folks get closer to the date the drought situation will become a reality.
1624234782880.jpeg

I was the #6 alternate last year, never heard from them as season approached. That was OK though, since I got drawn for hunt 510.

I have a feeling you should be ready this year, as I expect some tags may get turned back in due to the extreme drought. Horn growth is done, so it won’t further affect size, but feed will be compromised.

If you draw, I’d scout a week or so before season, as much to find which springs are still flowing and which lakes and ponds still have water, as to actually find bucks. Lassen typically has some very big bucks, but they can be hard to find in that big country.

That area is one of my favorite places to hunt, it’s very neat country.

I was the #6 alternate last year, never heard from them as season approached. That was OK though, since I got drawn for hunt 510.

I have a feeling you should be ready this year, as I expect some tags may get turned back in due to the extreme drought. Horn growth is done, so it won’t further affect size, but feed will be compromised.

If you draw, I’d scout a week or so before season, as much to find which springs are still flowing and which lakes and ponds still have water, as to actually find bucks. Lassen typically has some very big bucks, but they can be hard to find in that big country.

That area is one of my favorite places to hunt, it’s very neat country.
Yeah I've always been intrigued with that country..been thru there a few times , can't wait to hunt it

Last year I drew a Likely Tables period 1 tag and my buddy who was #8 on the alternate list and was already going with me on the hunt to help out got a phone call from DFG on the Tuesday before the season asking if he wanted a tag. Of course since he was already going to help out he accepted the tag and both of us tagged out on nice goats.

I don't think it's likely that BLM will have closures, and that's where most of the pronghorn live. I hunted Surprise Valley one year and it was very smoky from fires. Kind of an eerie feeling though.

Back around 1984 I was drawn as the third alternate for sheep. Still waiting on the call.
Wes
Back around 2004 or thereabouts, I was the #1 alternate for Desert Sheep in Marble/Clipper. Never got a call then either. But, I got drawn last year. It absolutely was worth the long wait.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom