Last Minute G3 Goat Opportunity

droptine47

Well I finally have an opportunity to go goat hunting, but have 17hrs to decide if I want the tag and 10 days to prepare. I live within 3 hours of the unit but have never spent any time up there. Any thoughts? Season dates run from the 7th to the 20th and just want to have a good experience. I almost enjoy the scouting/anticipation more than the hunt anymore so not sure what to think. With the increasing number of applicants, I am hesitant to turn down the opportunity.

How many points do you have? Tough call, depends on the number of points, age, residency, the unit, physical condition and how much time you can get off work. You probably need to go though when you look at the odds of drawing in the future. Good luck!

I’m like you and really enjoy the scouting and prep phase, but I think you should take the tag and go for it if you can get the time off work.

I have 3+11. Looking at the draw odds, its definitely getting tougher. Fortunately, I have spent a fair amount of time hunting muleys above treeline in the San Juan's, so have the gear and know what to expect. I'm in decent shape so not terribly worried about that, I just have never spent much time around these critters. Appreciate the feedback and think I will give it a go. May be too old by the time it comes back around.

I have 3+11. Looking at the draw odds, its definitely getting tougher. Fortunately, I have spent a fair amount of time hunting muleys above treeline in the San Juan's, so have the gear and know what to expect. I'm in decent shape so not terribly worried about that, I just have never spent much time around these critters. Appreciate the feedback and think I will give it a go. May be too old by the time it comes back around.
If you can get off work, then I think you have to go! You'll get one if you hunt muleys above timberline...goats are slightly easier to spot than muleys :) The Collegiate Peaks are some big mountains, but the good thing is lots of above timberline cliffy areas where you can hopefully find one in a good spot to get to.

Take it.
I got an email Monday (which I did not see until late that evening) and had to accept by 8am on Tuesday for G16. That might be your only chance at the tag. Go for it and have fun.

Remember GOATS are smaller than they appear and are tougher than a Cape buffalo...HA, they are tough. Shoot right at both front shoulders and you will be fine.

Congrats on the tag. In 2016 the DOW called me the day before season started with a returned G3 goat tag. Ended up getting getting a good goat up Lincoln creek above Grizzly reservoir. Had a few people help me out on where to go and I hope this will give you a good starting point. Enjoy the hunt
IMG_0083.JPG

Thanks for sharing. Congrats on a beautiful animal and awesome picture. I am looking forward to the hunt and received some help from a guy that assisted with some hunts up there several years ago. I am planning to get up there on Saturday to scout for the hunt. With the holiday weekend, I may have a hard time getting away from the hikers. Appreciate you sharing.

I know it’s late but I just saw this post. If either of you guys need help in G3 or G16 I can share info. Send me a message.

I have a new found appreciation for goats and the terrain that they live in. I was able to harvest a goat yesterday. This was the most physically and mentally challenging Hunt that I have been on. I had some help from some great friends, and if it wasn’t for them, I don’t know that this would have been possible. Also want to say thank you to fellow members for their willingness to help. We all like to keep our hunting spots a secret and I appreciate those that were willing to help on this truly once in a lifetime tag. This hunt will go down as number one in my book and will always have a special place in my heart. I apologize for the bloody photo, as we tried to clean him up the best we could.

7E8320AD-004B-4F6B-965F-2FB40B4B0988.jpeg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom