Last Minute ID ?

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
Anyone ever hunt ID, late Nov 10-24? The draw odds are pretty good. I put my son and me in without knowing anything about it except for the dates which I don't ever do. It was his last year to hunt under the mentoring program so I went w/odds instead of areas I know.

If you have a young hunter @ home and want to take him/her out of state, don't overlook ID's mentoring program. It's very affordable.

Sorry. I must have been drunk when I posted. 23. Good draw odds, 80%+ success and 80%+ of bucks killed 4 pt or better. Curious if these are trophy 4 pts?

Depends on your definition of "trophy" 4 point. The area is not known for big bucks like southern Idaho or the Snake River/Salmon river breaks area. Lots of timber and you should have snow that late. I have been through 23 but never hunted it, and my experience has been in southern/eastern Idaho. But, I think a good 170 class buck would be a keeper in that area. Do a post for Unit 23 info and you should get some better answers.

I've hunted 23 for about 22 years, but never a late hunt. If you can draw the tag it will be a good hunt and you should see lots of deer.

Like was said earlier, it is not known for a lot of trophies, but a few nice bucks (190ish) come out of the unit every year.

It should be a great hunt for you and your son though. You have a very realstic chance of both killing a nice 24 or 25 inch 4 point.

Been there 4 times during the regular season never had a problem getting a buck not much on size though.The last one was a white tail I just couldnt pass it up but I should have,I hunted 5 more days with my dad and we did find a big mulie buck down in a canyon but we couldnt get to him in time before he got into the timber.23 is prety good size area we hunted the west side so I dont know what the rest of the unit is like.

I'm not sure which unit it is...but that buck in trophy hunter mag. I think came from around that area. Scored like 210 or something. Its a big typical four, has kinda a different frame, but very massive.

snipersmilie.gif

one shot

Did that pig come from 23 or further to the NW? Looks like a Snake River/Salmon River breaks buck?

What a pig!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom