Last minute thoughts before we leave? SE MT here we come

elks96

Long Time Member
So I am feeling lots of pressure. We leave Wednesday to spend 5 days chasing deer around Broadus. I am wondering if anyone has any boots on the ground pointers or any here that just left the area. We are hitting the forrest service office on the way in...

Any last minute pointers.... Any areas where we can hike a couple miles away from the crowds?

We are wanting white tails, but my son seems a lot more open to a mule deer now that season is getting close...

Rut still happening? Temps look to be in the 40s for highs and lows in 20s.

So excited, but so nervous.... Some how convinced my Wife and mom that Thanksgiving is meant to be deer hunting so hopefully we have some success...

Just got back from the Jordan area. Lots of rutting action even though it was warm last week. Surprised by the amount of midday action. Saw a ton of deer and elk up and moving between 1130-230. Got a nice heavy 2x3 on a type 1 BMA. Good luck on your hunt.

Tons of deer, but mostly 2 points and immature bucks. If I was after a nice whitetail you are hunting the wrong region. There are tons of hunters on the public land anywhere near Broadus

So I am feeling lots of pressure. We leave Wednesday to spend 5 days chasing deer around Broadus. I am wondering if anyone has any boots on the ground pointers or any here that just left the area. We are hitting the forrest service office on the way in...

Any last minute pointers.... Any areas where we can hike a couple miles away from the crowds?

We are wanting white tails, but my son seems a lot more open to a mule deer now that season is getting close...

Rut still happening? Temps look to be in the 40s for highs and lows in 20s.

So excited, but so nervous.... Some how convinced my Wife and mom that Thanksgiving is meant to be deer hunting so hopefully we have some success...
The forest service office is closed dew to the virus.

The short answer is NO on hiking to get away from the crowds. You may find fewer people but the hunters you do find will be far more effective than the ones close to the road. There are very few places on the Custer that are more than two miles from a road and the vast majority of the land is within a mile of a road. Remember that a rutting buck on the move will cover this distance in less than a 1/2 hour. Road hunting the rut on the Custer is relatively effective.
Look for whitetails near the heads of the longer side creeks where there are Ash trees and Plum and ChokeCherry brush patches and big pine uplands. Whitetail may be spread thin in most places but there is still a chance at a nice one. Wish I could say the same for mule deer.
The weather is not going to be ideal.

Thanks all. I am starting to realize we should have looked at other areas, but it is too late now just going... FULL SEND!!! LOL!

I actually found out that I have a friend in Kalispell who is willing to host us next year so next year should be better. Thanks again for all the pointers and I will be sure to share our experience...

well how did your hunt go?
Here is the link. We pulled off a good hunt after some pretty big set backs!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom