Late hunt on Crawford

nogoodtags

Anyone out there this year willing to share a report? My dad may have enough points to draw next season, wondering if the deer came in there with the mild fall?

I'm interested in this hunt also. I have enough pts to draw the unit, however I know nothing about it.

I don't know how the hunting went this year. But I drove through the unit a few times in November headed to Wyo to hunt. Wasn't any snow and mild temps. When I hunted in 2012 it was below zero with deep snow. Plenty of deer that year!

These hunts that are weather dependent and require lots of points are really becoming more and more of a huge gamble. It seems like weather just comes later than it used to or sometimes not enough at all.

There are a lot of 3rd and 4th season Colorado guys from this year who gambled and lost.

I have been on the Crawfords deer hunt for the last 3 years helping friends. I don't know what kind of buck you would like to harvest but I wouldn't waste too many points on it imo!!
I spent about 3-5 days out there each year & saw a ton of 22"-24" 4x's but nothing huge....

I spent 5 days with a bowsite buddy in the overlap 36 moose unit on the Wyo side and we didn't see a single Muley Buck worth taking....

Granted a few days before your Crawford side Utah buck hunt...

Trust bamacpl and his multiple years of experience...

Robb

Major snow can make a huge difference on this hunt. I know people who have drawn and turned there tag in the day before if weather doesn't happen. It does have potential for a smoker buck. Just need a lot of snow

I have been on this hunt personally and with a handful of others. I know the Craws very well. There is definitely no shortage of bucks. I hunted it last year hard. Passed on a couple right around 200" in search for a real bruiser. I found him, but we only got a glimpse and he was gone. We were all shell shocked about how big he was. Still breaks my heart. This hunt is very dependent on snow. You need 2+ big snow storms to start getting the big boys from WY to move in there. Once there is enough snow, you won't be able to get a 4X4 around to the good areas. You will need snowshoes. The big ones hold tight in the Cedars on the east end of the range. Take a GPS and make sure you are not on the WY side runs right though the northern end of the range. It is a fun hunt and you will see plenty of bucks hold out for a bruiser. The biggest bucks seem to be alone and not with any other deer.

I live about 10 minutes from the Crawford's and spend a lot of time there. I have not seen a 200" buck there but that may be due to my bad luck, or not knowing where to go!

My realistic goal would be to shoot the first 180" buck I saw and I would be happy to get it.

That is not to discourage someone who has already drawn. If you have, I say congratulations. My opinion is that the word(s) 350", 200" and 30"s is thrown around on hunting forums too much. That is not to say they do not exist, or that many of you have not seen them. However, I would believe that 99% of these "sightings" are over estimated.

There are many factors that limit this hunt:

1- Winter Kill
2- Wyoming fence
3- Weather dependent

This again is not to discourage, but encourage realistic expectations!

Thanks Woodruff i sent you a PM it is also my understanding that the hardest hit this winter was the fawns that is also why i am glad to have the tag this year and not say in 4 or 5 years.

I hunted this unit in 2014. Luckily I drew with only 4 points, if I had burned a bunch of points on this hunt I think I would have been disappointed. It was fun though, I got to take my boys with me and see a lot of deer. What struck me was how many mature bucks I saw with irregular racks, lots of 2x3, 3x3, 3x4, etc. Nothing that really much interested me. I ended up taking a small NT with a 10" dropper, cause he was about the most unique deer I have seen. Pm me if you are interested, but there really is no secret to this hunt. It is a small area and you can see most of it from behind your windsheild. Travel and glass, travel and glass....

The one thing you need to be aware of is that very few tag holders hunt SOLO. They will bring their entire network of friends and family on this hunt. When my wife drew it in 2013 with 0 points we were excited! We scouted and found good bucks but learned that they are very migratory. They move around that unit like crazy. We had my wife set up on a really nice 180+ buck. We were on a little perch when she was about to pull the trigger but was interrupted by a truck that was hot-dogging the unit off-roading. He told us he was looking for a deer for his friend that was a tag holder. We chased that buck for a mile or but it never stopped running and we gave up. She ended up taking a really nice 4-point. You will love the amount of deer you see on that unit. I am one of a few that believe the amount of snow has less to do with success rates or big bucks being on the unit. There are a lot of other factors that play into it. Every year big deer either come onto the unit or they don't. The crawfords isn't the only winter ground in that area.

just my 2 cents. Good luck and have a fun hunt.

The weather is not looking to good so far for the end of October 1st of November for this hunt. I did take a ride over there two weeks ago unknowing that it was the general season and i had no idea that it would look like a pumpkin patch with all the orange hats. we did however see a few does and one small buck that people were driving right past. I am hoping to make a trip back to look around closer to the opening day of the season.

Evanston, Wyoming is probably the better of the town's that are close. They have more choices for hotels and food. Although I do enjoy a hamburger from Gator's in Randolph.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-17 AT 01:41PM (MST)[p]it was a fun hunt seen many deer and very few people after opening day. Seen some good bucks but just couldn't connect and ended up getting a beautiful buck i would defiantly like to have this tag again someday.

I don't like to post pictures on a public forum but I'd be happy to email you a picture. There was some weather when it opened and then the last day I went all the snow was gone but it was super cold and the deer we're very active rutting

Chris, If you don't mind, how many points did you spend on the tag? And with the unit being somewhat depending on weather, which we don't seem to get anymore, how many point would you feel this hunt is worth?

I had 15 points and i wouldn't say how many i think its worth because everyone has their own criteria. To me it was worth it i seen way more deer than i see in the usual area's i hunt and that alone made the experience worth it. Plus being only 115 miles from my front door made it that more appealing.

Woodruffhunter is dead on,
1- Winter Kill, What happened the last 5 seasons to manipulate overall deer numbers.
2- Wyoming fence
3- Weather dependent

A lot of the folklore of this great little spot came from 30+ years ago before the HIGH FENCE, and everyone had covered ATV's/4X4's and just drive around. At one time you could even use archery or a shotgun to harvest the deer and there were plenty to choose from. If I remember correctly the hunt also use to run from the week before Thanksgiving until December 31. That last 2 weeks of December makes all the difference. When the hunt is so weather dependent not just deep snow but wind and cold to push deer out of Wyoming. I also agree, most people wouldn't know what a 200" Mule Deer was if it was knocking down their mailbox. I have seen photos (with film and printed on paper)no photoshop needed that would be 175-190 inch deer that came off the Crawford's every year from the pre 90's and earlier time.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom