Late hunts???

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
With only 2 points and everyone able to apply for elk this year, I just want to luck into a tag. Studied draw odds which I believe to be obsolete with the new regs. Some of the LATE hunts have decent odds. Anybody have any experence with the late hunts?? I don't even need to know the unit, just if it was worth it??

The quality on the late hunts is very unit specific.

Some units the bulls will drop into thick nasty pinion and juniper country and they are very hard to locate. Some units the bulls winter on open ridges and they are very glassable from paved roads. There are other units that much of the lower country is all private ground.

Scouting can be difficult because the bulls will typically be transitioning between their rutting grounds and their winter range.

That being said, they can be good hunts. Plus if you only have two points you can't really go wrong. If you are lucky enough to draw with 2 points then you are probably lucky enough to locate a really big bull on the late hunts.

I would suggest beaver, manti, fishlake, or monroe

NeverStopHuntin pretty much summed things up. I don't know of any late hunt you can draw with 2 points unless you have some luck on your side. I drew my late hunt this year with 2 points, though that was extreme luck. It was an awesome, but difficult hunt. I'd recommend a unit where you're familiar with the elk activity or have access to wintering grounds.

Thanks for the replies. I know a tag is a dream BUT checking the draw results from last year, as many 2 pointers seemed to draw tags as guys with 1 point less than required for a preference point tag. (That make sense?) Anyways, a 4% chance is better than a 1% chance until I get to 8/9 points. Good luck to you guys in the draw.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom