Late Kaibab experience?

huntazido

I was reading some posts from people who hunted the late kaibab 12aw hunt in the past. The topic was "lead on kaibab". Some of the comments made me start to think if they had the tag over again what would they do differently? It sounded like they had a great time but didn't see a monster and went home empty handed or they took something but it wasn't as big as the kaibab is famous for.

I got lucky and drew the tag this year. This will be the first time I have more than a week to hunt in over 25 years so I want to make the most of it. So my question is...... If you have had this late hunt in the past, what would you do differently? If you could do anything at all? Did the fact you din't harvest what you imagined have to do with weather? How about your effort? Maybe even the location you were hunting? Were you to high, low or in the tranistion area? Maybe you believe the unit just doesn't have the bucks like you imagined? I don't know.

Just curious to know what peoples responses would be.

For some reason I can't open my PM's on MM, but if you would like to email me you can at [email protected].

Thanks
John

JOHN.........INTERESTING QUESTION !!! I HUNTED IT LATE IN 2009,12A WEST WAS THE TAG. WE ALSO HAD SOME SNOW WHILE I SAW A FEW DEER, NO GIANTS, AND KILLED A GOOD 4PT. MY 2 PARTNERS DID NOT SHOOT A BUCK, BUT SAW A FEW. ITS NOT THAT I WOULD NOT HUNT THERE AGAIN, BUT I HAVE FOUND BETTER MULE DEER TAGS THAN 12A WEST LATE IN ARIZONA. WITH THAT BEING SAID I WOULD LOVE TO TRY 13A OR 13B FOR DEER. OUR HUNT WAS A BIT CROWED WITH TOO MANY TAGS BEING GIVEN OUT. I NOW HUNT OTHER STATES FOR DEER...............YD.

2 years ago?? maybe 3 years ago? My buddy from Iowa drew the overlap Desert Ram sheep tag in this Muley unit.

My hell did we see some/not many/but vomit big muleys during that date timeframe.

Enjoy my friend,

Robb

It seems like the hunt has been a little different every time I've been up there...although the one thing that I've seen have the biggest effect is snow, and of course my mom always seems to draw on a snowy year!!! Here is her 1st late Kaibab buck!
9258image.jpg

A 32" wide 199 5/8" gross buck wasn't too bad for her 1st buck!!!

BEAUTIFUL BUCK!!!!!!........GOOD FOR HER!!!! I LIKE THE MOUNT ALSO.........PERFECT............................YD.

Great question. I first hunted the Kaibab in 1971; I saw big bucks then, and I see big bucks now - most recently the 2013 late hunt. As many as in the '70's, '80's and early '90's? No, but the Kaibab's reputation for big bucks can overwhelm a hunter's reasonable expectations for seeing big bucks. I find it hard to understand how there can be too many 12AW late rifle tags issued now (135 in 2013), esp. when compared to the 1500 tags issued in '83 for the late hunt. Weather does have a big influence on the late season - and it seems like hunters tend to get concentrated in certain areas during the late hunt. My opinion is that late season hunters seem to follow each other around in pursuit of a big buck that gets seen on somebody's trailcam. I advise keeping your expectations in check, be patient, be thorough, and be flexible - the big bucks are where you find them - and you have to work for them. The Kaibab may not be premier mule deer unit it once was, but it's still the place I prefer to hunt of all the places I've hunted in the west (CO, UT, WY, OR, MT NM and AZ); and I'll be there later this month with an archery tag in my pocket and expectations waiting to be fulfilled!

Seems to take about 12 or 13 points to draw in 20% pool depending on the year. I got lucky and drew it this year with 3 as a resident.

The late hunt on any 12 tag is great,lots of deer and some huge bucks.Many times you may see a toad the first day,just know what you are looking at?I have had hunters pass a 190+ buck opening day because they thought 230 was the norm!!!!!If you find a 190 buck and don't have one of the wall now drop him!!!I have hunted 12aw,12ae, and 12b all on the late hunts and they all produce 190 or better class bucks.I made the mistake of letting a 2oo buck walk because I had found a 225 nontyp down the rd.I did not see the 225 after that day and could not find the 200 buck again.Wound up with a 196 that year.And don't get caught up in a 30 inch buck,had a bud that wanted a 30 inch buck.We passes on a couple 190 plus 25-26 wide bucks to take a 165 --30 inch wide buck!!!

John,

good advise from above,I am sure this was Your 2nd. choice or should have been,as a Res. ? With no or little knowledge of the "KAIBAB" and wanting to harvest/tag a BIG BUCK,hire some help ... or just enjoy Your hunt,great time of the year to be on the N.Rim.Also put a backpack on and go where quads can not for,"BEST". Bruce & SilverGrand

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom