Late Manti elk

HUNTNNW

Well I lucked out and drew a manti late tag in the random. For the guys who have experience on this unit what type of bull would you hold out for? I have heard that you will turn up some good bulls, but they could be busted up. I've been told to not pass a 320" and I've also been told not to shoot less than 360". I dont look at this tag as filling my freezer and really have no problem eating it if I hunt it hard to the end. I just wanna know from the experienced guys realistic expectations of the unit. Hiking, backpacking in are not a problem as I spend 30 nights a year backpacking into places, I have the optics and bringing the side by side. Thanks for any input!

I drew an early rifle tag for it this year and will pass on any information I learn on my hunt. I’m not sure what sort of movement the elk will do between when I’m there and when you will be but if I can help I’m happy to.

Lots of variables to consider. Deep snow, or little to no snow will determine the amount of hunting area you will have access too. Bulls don't move around a whole lot, their healing up from the rut, so you'll be able to see what's in a particular area after a trip or 2. Move on if nothing grabs your attention. I wouldn't pass up a 330" bull.

I helped a friend many years ago on the Manti late season. He is a very experienced hunter and he hunted hard every day of the season. His brother lives in the unit and also accompanied him the entire hunt. The first day I'm sure I saw 500 elk but no bulls bigger than rag horns. We were obviously looking in the wrong places.
Even with friends helping, he never saw a bull bigger than 310 and he passed it. On the last day he shot a rag horn 6 just to fill the freezer. From our experience the Manti Late hunt is by no means a cake walk for a big bull.
A 360 has become pretty rare now days in most any unit in Utah so if that is what you are holding out for...best of luck.
Have fun and forget how far the tape stretches.

I helped a friend many years ago on the Manti late season. He is a very experienced hunter and he hunted hard every day of the season. His brother lives in the unit and also accompanied him the entire hunt. The first day I'm sure I saw 500 elk but no bulls bigger than rag horns. We were obviously looking in the wrong places.
Even with friends helping, he never saw a bull bigger than 310 and he passed it. On the last day he shot a rag horn 6 just to fill the freezer. From our experience the Manti Late hunt is by no means a cake walk for a big bull.
A 360 has become pretty rare now days in most any unit in Utah so if that is what you are holding out for...best of luck.
Have fun and forget how far the tape stretches.
I had a buddy same thing. Lives real close, owns plenty of stock...I scored his bull for him in camp...240. They kill some good ones out there but I give advice on what they

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom