Late Season Muzzy

Stillwater165

Very Active Member
Late season muzzleloader opened a few days ago , weathers been mild to say the least , no snow ! That is until yesterday , a major cold front came in with a skiff of white and took the temperatures to below the bottom ! Actual temp was -13 with a north / northwest wind 25 gusting to 29 mph taking the windchill into the -35 range. I’m not quite wired right and love to push myself to my limits so I bundled up and went in well before daylight. Didn’t see much but does where I set up at so about 730 am I decided to sneak downstream a half mile or so to another good spot. Just as I got close I noticed some does , heads tucked low using a ridge to get out of that terrible wind and also catch some of the morning sun as it was just starting to come over the trees. My eyeballs were about froze shut as I had that wind directly in my face but I cocked the hammer and snuck right up to the edge , I knew they were bedded right below me. Maybe 15 yards deer just start to explode out of the pocket , I found the buck in the scope and put one right in the high shoulder and dropped him instantly. I’ve shot a lot bigger deer but this one was always just gonna be an 8 as I’ve watched him since his first rack , so I’m more than happy with him. The pictures aren’t great because I was alone and froze to death but here he is !
403D8DA1-85EA-4196-AD4E-68EE0A0F8B76.jpeg

Good looking buck, all muzzy bucks are trophies. I like the sled, I use mine a lot. When you’re hunting alone it makes it much easier to get game out, even on dry ground. Congrats.

Thanks ! Had a discussion with my wife the night before as we were watching the forecast , I said I might call off my morning hunt. She looks at me with half disgust and says “the weathers never stopped you before” !!!! And that’s all it took ! I’m not 25 anymore but I’m far from done either !

My hunting buddies call me The Rain Man! :D They've learned that if it starts to rain, the best place to sit is next to me!

And when it starts raining, I go ahead and get my gun up, with my thumb on the safety!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom