Late season White River Deer Hunt

Aaron

So I'm considering burning my points this year on the Late White River tag. I was wanting some recent info on this hunt and how its been last few years. I'm actually going to use the youth option and let my kid hunt it. I have decided I'm not sure if there's a hunt in OR that would make me jacked up to have so I would rather my kid have a good experience and let him kill a nice buck. Maybe I'm missing the boat on another good OR hunt. I'm up for suggestions. Anyone out there hunt this recently or has good information. Normally I'm a mule deer hunter but this seemed like a hunt my boy would enjoy not caring about score or any thing. Just find a good old mature buck being the goal. Thanks for any info. Aaron Amator

I did a bunch of research on this last year since my wife had the points to draw it.

Like all deer hunts on OR White River not what it used to be. since they have to be considered black tail the size of the bucks I'd seen taken were not bad for black tail but technically they're mule deer and not that impressive.

I opted to have her draw the late Heppner tag and it was less than impressive as well. but it was a fun hunt and she got a decent buck that almost certainly scored better than anything she would have taken in White River.

either way you're going to have a fun hunt just keep your expectations realistic. and in Oregon that means low. you're going to get a buck it's just likely not going to be a buck worth the points it took to draw but it's as good as OR has to offer.

From 2014 White River.
Have not had the tag since. This was a early hunt.
High Cascade September 2014  a-074.JPG
2014  High Cascade Buck  72 a-612.JPG

That is a great buck. but it was a different hunt 8 years ago , from what I was told there are few if any bucks like that being taken now.

Back
Top Bottom