Lawbreaker fined!

So this means that even if I pick up a skull in another state, but bring it back to Utah with me im breaking the law?

It said you cannot possess a skull here in Utah, I always thought you couldnt pick them up here. I guess thats not the case then?

I'm not the ethics police, but keep in mind that with skulls there also may be some issues with CWD. One of my old hunting partners (two years ago) took a buck in Colorado, caped it out, and on his return trip to Washington, got stopped in Idaho by a state patrolman (he saw the buck strapped to the top of the vehicle).

He did tell my friend that it was illegal to transport that buck (shot out of state) across the state of Idaho, and he also told him that it's the same in Washington, the stator let him go. He went on his way only to hit a sting on his way into Washington, state. The Idaho officer called ahead and the WA state guys were waiting for him at the line. The judge had zero sympathy and threw the book at him, cost him a bundle!

Even worse could be that they charge him with violating the Lacey Act (transporting illegally obtained animal parts across state lines) which is a Federal Offense. I don't know the story, but I'd be happy if I was that guy and pay the $200 fine to let the rest all go away.

daxter so what is the story you don't have to give us much info, but was it really found in colorado and brought to utah i don't understand how that is illegal i guess?

"the fourwheeler riding deer hunting anti-christ"

It is getting to be a big deal everywhere! Picking up a head in Wyoming just got tougher too! We have to call in to a game warden who will meet us in the field or on the road out to tag the head with an interstate game tag that cost $5. They record the who what where so they can keep track of how many bucks and bulls and rams are being "FOUND" dead. If we just take it home without calling it in there is a big fine and the head will be taken. Road kills or anything that seems suspicious of being poached can not be taken from the scene without the Game and Fish checking it out first!

Time in the hills is always worth more than money

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-07 AT 07:03PM (MST)[p]In Utah:

R657-5-22. Possession of Antlers and Horns.

(1) A person may possess antlers or horns or parts of antlers or horns only from:

(a) lawfully harvested big game;

(b) antlers or horns lawfully purchased as provided in Section R657-5-21; or

(c) shed antlers or horns.

- - -

Bringing a skull and attached horns into Utah that doesn't meet either a, b, or c, is illegal.

So what is the difference if buying them off ebay? When they get them is the buyer or seller breaking the law? No difference. I can't see why this would violate the lacey act it wasn't unlawfully taken. What is up with the smirk on the CO's face while he is holding horns that legally belong to the state of Colorado?(But of coourse finders keepers in Colorado) Sounds like the Div. is out to make an example.

""In this case, the antlers were picked up in Colorado. "It's a good idea to know not only Utah law but that of surrounding states as well," stated Lt. Carl Gramlich, Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. "People just can't pick up anything they see.""

It says here ("It's a good idea to know not only Utah law but that of surrounding states as well,") What Law was broken in Colorado, it is perfectly legal to pick up those horns in colorado, so why was this statement even mentioned, granted he may have broke the law in ut, (even though I dont agree with it) But why did the officer feel the need to say that.

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.(going off of what I read on the link above.)

Jake H. MM Member since 1999.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

where does it say in the proc. that you can not pick up heads in states that it is legal, someone please inlighten me. thanks.

You can pick it up legally in another state, the law is only broken when you bring it back into Utah.

Dax

That is plain stupid. He obtained the head legally. That's all that should matter.

what a dope for strapping it to the top of his vehicle...just asking for trouble but some folks just gotta show it off I guess...jeesh...

on the big buck in Utah, I guess he broke the law because he was in possession,regardless of where he got it. My question is, if Colorado was to pass an assine law like this, what would I do about the 12 skulls I have now...?

In Wyoming we have to have every skull tagged with an interstate game tag before we can keep it or sell it. That lets the Game and fish keep track of mortality numbers, and makes it harder to sell anything illegaly taken. NOTHING about this Utah law red tape BS makes any sense!

Time in the hills is always worth more than money

Toughshed.. You need to strap them ontop your car and cruise the open roads.. Hurry up..

Hey, This is Todd Black's Case. aka BTO or Blanding_Boy. Maybe he will come on here and tell us all what happened. He pleaded guilty and it IS public record.

The man involved in this case is an absolute slime ball with a silver tongue that is almost impressive. Just look up his public record and you will see multiple wildlife violations he's been convicted of, one of which was while he was employed at deseret. And the public record isn't even a drop in the bucket. Yet people still keep paying him to be their "guide". Mind blowing how many times you can be convicted and still keep your hunting privileges in Utah.

The man involved in this case is an absolute slime ball with a silver tongue that is almost impressive. Just look up his public record and you will see multiple wildlife violations he's been convicted of, one of which was while he was employed at deseret. And the public record isn't even a drop in the bucket. Yet people still keep paying him to be their "guide". Mind blowing how many times you can be convicted and still keep your hunting privileges in Utah.
Bro, this thread is 14 years old.

I'm fully aware, Bro. Thread was started 14 years ago and he is still poaching. Don't you think anyone who is considering hiring a guide might like to know what exactly they are getting into?

Yes give us line and versus.
If you are going to pull him thru the mud, I would like to see proof that isn't just a get back from someone who dislikes him or BTO.
Your serve.

You sound upset. Where did he touch you?

Just look up his public record. I've never had any dealings with BTO, just him personally. That is why I did not mention BTO at all. In the last 8-10 years he has multiple convictions on record, and has had clients who ended up with charges also because technically they were the hunters. He was hired as a wildlife biologist on one of the premier CWMU's in the state and lasted just over a year before being charged and subsequently convicted of wanton destruction of wildlife, a.k.a. while on the clock he was poaching on the ranch. The public record says it all. Again have never dealt with BTO this has absolutely nothing to do with them, it has everything to do with the individual person.

Just look up his public record. I've never had any dealings with BTO, just him personally. That is why I did not mention BTO at all. In the last 8-10 years he has multiple convictions on record, and has had clients who ended up with charges also because technically they were the hunters. He was hired as a wildlife biologist on one of the premier CWMU's in the state and lasted just over a year before being charged and subsequently convicted of wanton destruction of wildlife, a.k.a. while on the clock he was poaching on the ranch. The public record says it all. Again have never dealt with BTO this has absolutely nothing to do with them, it has everything to do with the individual person.
Haha. You sound like a bitter ex-girlfriend. Grow a set and post his name and not just initials.

I'm pretty sure he has nothing to do with BTO anymore. I think Randy owns BTO now and Randy is a helluva good guy.

You guys can keep up on the former owner, I just don't want an innocent guy's company dragged through the mud by a somebody that isn't involved anymore..

How many poachers has this law caught..?? Isn't the law here in Utah meant to dissuade or catch people who poach an animal, and then return later to recover the head..?

I'm guessing it has caught exactly 0 poachers. Its a law the doesn't do what its supposed to, and needs to be eliminated.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom