LE deer or LE elk

PSEbackcountry

So I'm looking for a opinion, I know elk tags are highly sought for in UT, I drew my antelope tag so I'm on the 2 year wait, I have 2 deer points, been putting in for the Vernon archery.

But since my antelope hunt was on the plateau, and all the elk I seen in 6 days I instantly knew that deer needs to be put on hold and I need to pursue the Fishlake elk tag.

Is that a good decision on my part??

This would be archery elk btw.

Maybe go General bow Buck on the FL overlap unit (so ya get to know the unit better) and go LE bow Bull on the FL unit.

Normally I would suggest sticking with the species ya have the most points for so ya don't end up with 4-5 points on multiple species, but with only 2 LE deer points.....

Whatever you decide I hope ya draw!!

Robb

I think your odds are that you wont draw a LE tag. So build your points in order to get the tag you want. But their is always a chance !!!

The only reason I am going to actually get a LE deer point next year is due to being on the elk and antelope waiting period. It takes far to long to get a mediocre deer tag in this state. JMHO

alpinebowman of Dark Archer Customs, Maker of fine strings and bow tuner
>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

You Should Draw!

I'm at 22 & Can't!

She Don't Just Rain She Pours!

That Girl Right There's The Perfect Storm!

90087hankjr.jpg

Looking at your username you are an archery guy? I drew FL archery this year, most guys I talked to drew with 4 points (archery).

This is the second LE Elk tag I've drawn on the unit - this years bull is good enough for me that he'll be hanging next to my first one when the taxi finishes him.

>Looking at your username you are
>an archery guy? I drew
>FL archery this year, most
>guys I talked to drew
>with 4 points (archery).
>
>This is the second LE Elk
>tag I've drawn on the
>unit - this years bull
>is good enough for me
>that he'll be hanging next
>to my first one when
>the taxi finishes him.

Post up a few pictures ! We all like to see bucks and bulls on here;-)

>The only reason I am going
>to actually get a LE
>deer point next year is
>due to being on the
>elk and antelope waiting period.
>It takes far to long
>to get a mediocre deer
>tag in this state. JMHO
>
>
>alpinebowman of Dark Archer Customs, Maker
>of fine strings and bow
>tuner
>>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

Ain't that the truth!!!

What's your goal?

I decided to burn antelope points like we talked about the other day because I wanted to do something different. I realize that meant one less elk point. My thought being I can't leave points on my will, can't sell them, and sitting home notching on MM while entertaining isn't nearly as fun as hunting.

So me personally I find LE with lowest points for archery, go do some living.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

>Looking at your username you are
>an archery guy? I drew
>FL archery this year, most
>guys I talked to drew
>with 4 points (archery).
>
>This is the second LE Elk
>tag I've drawn on the
>unit - this years bull
>is good enough for me
>that he'll be hanging next
>to my first one when
>the taxi finishes him.

I was assuming he was a non resident

Next year is my last year on the waiting period. Which means if I don't draw LE deer next year, in 2019 I'll have 5 deer points. My plan all along has been to abandon them and get back in the elk pool.

I'll be going after the very tag you are contemplating. Hope that helps you decide.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-17 AT 02:42PM (MST)[p]>
>Post up a few pictures !
>We all like to see
>bucks and bulls on here;-)
>

Hey BigJohnT, yeah I like the pictures also - I just have seen too many threads get derailed by the negative Nancy's so I don't put mine up. If I'm not mistaken there's a pic of your sweetheart & her bull at Bowery?

I do have trailcam pics of a couple on your mountain that I think you'd be impressed with? This year's was just your typical FL 300'ish bull, some circumstances made it a very special bull to me so he'll hang (literally) with my other one.

I am a resident.

And the only way you draw a elk tag is put in right?? It isn't going to put in for itself.

And I'm sure leaning towards archery elk. Saw some nice bulls around the Nebo area. Just FL I love it down there.

With 2 deer points, I'd toss them aside. Good grief it takes 9ish points to get Vernon or Books (the lower tier LE units).

I'm in the same boat as GledEasy, one more year for my elk waiting period and if I don't pull off a miracle and draw Henry's or antelope Island with 4 points then I'm back in the elk pool.

As a bow hunter we have a good thing with the deer extended hunt, there are some good bucks up there if you are in shape and are willing to put in a lot of time and effort. With a General archery buck tag you can go out and have a chance at a really good buck nearly every year. The last 2 years I've been able to take bucks that I would have shot off any LE unit except Henrys, Pauns, or Antelope island.

For elk we don't have nearly as good of an opportunity to get out and chase many big bulls on a general tag. I drew Manti in 2013 and am hoping to be back up there with another Archery tag before too long

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom