Lead Free Ammo performance good or bad?

Lead free ammo good or bad performance?

• Good

• OK

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cali4x4

Now that we have had lead free ammo for a couple seasons what does everyone think of the performance.

Got a 7 mag that's really likes ttsx and to be pushed fast. The performance is great too with every animal hitting the dirt in short order. They do foul a barrel though requiring more frequent and aggressive cleanings. I get about 20 shots then gotta scrub the barrel or accuracy suffers.

Whacked a few animals with copper out of my .338 federal. Bull moose I put down ten years ago with it didn’t care for it much. But he died before he could tell me why.

Lead-free for a couple years?
What about that Barnes X bullet I’ve been shooting for the past 3 decades?
Yes, they’re good and kill well.
Light for caliber and pushed fast seem to work best for me.
Zeke

Been shooting Barnes in the majority of my rifles since the early 90's.
Terminal performance is what keeps me coming back

This was the exit wound on a mule deer with a 146 gr Hammer (all copper) out of a 280 AI. Its not as impressive as the antelope we shot but the internal damage was scary. Not to mention that shock of the animal impact.
20201015_151840.jpg

I have had mostly good results with barnes copper. However, on a recent elk hunt I watched my son put 4 140 lrx into a bull behind the shoulder at 135 yards out of a 7mm-08. I'd have expected a bit more expansion, but on inspection the bullets just whizzed through, causing very little damage individually. I know they are more of a long range bullet, but ran them because they shoot well, and I've always had good results with barnes. The bull died, but not before several lrx pinholed him. I won't be using the lrx again...

Here is 2 bullets recovered from my sons buck last year. The first shot the petals broke of the bullet and were found in the hide on the entry. Deer went a lot farther than us should have do to the small wound channel. The second shot, the bullet expanded properly. So I am still unsure. These are Barnes ttsx out of a .243.

7438BC0B-410F-4378-AC44-ED3A9868738F.jpeg

C7F4EAB8-C877-41E3-A127-76C3BE0A88D0.jpeg

167F9942-A7E3-42F6-AA20-348EAB4C19AF.jpeg

I think they need to be cut to expand, hollow point almost. Weight retention is probably much better than lead. The bull I shot 10 days ago went 30yards after a Remington core lokt went thru his lungs and rested against his hide. Sorry Sageadvice, they still work!?

I think they need to be cut to expand, hollow point almost. Weight retention is probably much better than lead. The bull I shot 10 days ago went 30yards after a Remington core lokt went thru his lungs and rested against his hide. Sorry Sageadvice, they still work!?
I miss those core lokt. They shoot great out of my .270. Grouped better than the “premium” ammo I had tried.

Choosing a bullet is as much a mind-game as it is a scientific endeavor.
Anyone remember the old adage, "expansion is desirable but penetration is essential".

Zeke

I find that people who are mandated to use non lead tend to dislike it, while places it is a choice copper is being adopted pretty broadly for performance (or a desire to not feed lead to the family).

I find that people who are mandated to use non lead tend to dislike it, while places it is a choice copper is being adopted pretty broadly for performance (or a desire to not feed lead to the family).

It's in my pocket Sam. I'm not stripping or packin ribs so unless I decide to eat the 100 odd grains left in my pocket, should be good.

Copper kills just as well as lead. Gotta use the right bullet, and more importantly understand the differences in how the two kinds of bullets work. mtmuley

Ya See!

In TARDville We Give the Animal 2 Chances!

One is with The Damage We Can Maximize!

Two is if the Animal Does Limp Off it's gonna Die of Lead Poisoning!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom