leaving a camp or vehicle unattended

wildfin

Ive read some posts about getting broken into in Albuquerque hotels and some forest land areas, is that still a threat in areas such as unit 13. I am referring to over night or just for the day.

well thanks for the reply,that threat makes a big difference on what I take that would be left in my camper while I am out for the day.

I've heard the stories, but in the 20+ years that I've lived here, I've never had any problems. In fact, I've been surprised a couple times that someone didn't take advantage of my own stupidity. Like the time I left my GPS in plain site on the hood of my truck right next to a major trailhead. It was still sitting there when I returned a couple days later. Another time I apparently dropped my phone on a trail. Hiking back out the next day I saw it hanging on a branch that overhung the trail where I would be sure to see it as I was hiking out.

I'm not advising against you exercising caution--I think that's wise wherever you go. I'm just saying that I believe the overwhelming majority of the people you'll encounter in the NM woods are very good decent people.

Time in the woods hunting and fishing many years , left many camps unattended. Never a problem, however keep your guard up in Albuquerque. Illegals and our wacked liberal judicial system are wrecking havoc on this beautiful city.

I would feel much safer camping than staying in an Abq hotel. I know 3 people personally who ave had their cars stolen there.

I bought a ”club” just for my trips there. Only place I use it. Shame because I like Albuquerque.

Depends on the unit, 51 is the worst. The locals in 51 will steal everything not chained up, even steal your antlers. Albuquerque is the car theft capitol of the southwest, and they love hunters vehicles.

Hey guys! new on the thread - I drew a 2A tag this year. I'm just now starting to learn more about theft in NM. Is there anything known to avoid in the 2A area?

We were also considering "truck camping" and now I'm on the fence of how I approach this hunt for lodging.

You should be fine up there. Be aware of tribal lands and boundaries.

Lock your doors if you drive thru Espanola. Lol

Ive had entire camps stolen and packed up, trucks keyed end to end for no reason. As some one mention 51 and 52 are really bad. The folks up north are a different breed and many think they own the Forrest. its so bad for me i stopped even applying for those units due to this. I work to dam hard for some thug meth heads to ruin or steal my nice gear. IT happens alot more than people think or we hear about on here. Sucks we have to worry about this but its always one of my biggest concerns when i head out for a hunt.

Down south is a different story. Ive eft camp for two weeks and never had any issues.

unfortunately it happens
I just don't even lock the camper at all.
I still believe like I was taught, if someone wanders into our camp and is thirsty or hungry you are more than welcome to what ever we have and if we happen to be in camp well invite them in offer a refreshment or two pull up a chair and tell us how the hunt is going. Make a new friend and maybe give them a ride if needed.
I've been in one of those spots stuck to my a$$ and walked miles till I come across a camp or some one driving by and they offered to help.
In the words of Buckin Billy Ray BE KIND

I've never had a problem in NM and I've camped over 100 nights all over the state. I'm more nervous about theft when staying in a hotel.
I'm still cautious and often have a game camera or two watching my camp.

Game camers yess ! Csmped at 15 springs in 51 ..there was a utility trailer..no lock on hitch ..by us ..owner said he there.all the time..sheep owner watches over campes he says !

Had my camp broken into for the first time last year during an elk hunt. That was extremely disappointing.

It doesn’t just happen in the hills they still everything everywhere In NM. Don’t leave anything on dash or seats like bags, calls maps and so on is about only think you can do that’s in your control. If truck looks like it’s got nothing of value in it more likely to be left alone.

As cool as it is I try not to have 1 million stickers on it too.

It would be nice to know were your camp was robed ltsheets. When I would camp on the beach in baja we would always hire a local kid to stay in camp while we were out fishing,It always was a comfort having that even though it was mainly to keep the cattle out.

It doesn’t just happen in the hills they still everything everywhere In NM. Don’t leave anything on dash or seats like bags, calls maps and so on is about only think you can do that’s in your control. If truck looks like it’s got nothing of value in it more likely to be left alone.

As cool as it is I try not to have 1 million stickers on it too.
After living in the SoCal for a handful of years now. I had my truck broken into 3 times and emptied without damage to the truck!

No stickers, nothing visible, no storage, no boxes...Nothing attractive enough to make $5 or even less

All canopy and camper locks can be picked in seconds - ALL OF THEM

Last edited:
After living in the SoCal for a handful of years now. I had my truck broken into 3 times and emptied without damage to the truck!

No stickers, nothing visible, no storage, no boxes...Nothing attractive enough to make $5 or even less

All canopy and camper locks can be picked in seconds - ALL OF THEM
It’s about playing the odds. No guarantees but it helps. And some people just have bad luck lol.

I got hit once in Lehi, Utah. Parked next to front door of the hotel. Took out the guns but got lazy with my hunting pack and plastic totes for camping. They were all gone in the am. Hotel was $140 a night so I thought it would be safe. Lesson learned I empty the truck every night. They did leave my horns though. Such nice thieves.

It would be nice to know were your camp was robed ltsheets. When I would camp on the beach in baja we would always hire a local kid to stay in camp while we were out fishing,It always was a comfort having that even though it was mainly to keep the cattle out.
Not far from Grants.

What’s the deal with stickers causing the car break-ins? What kind of stickers are you talking about?

I put my Rolex sticker on the gun safe. Now I’m thinking I should peel it off.

Last edited:
I had my camper stolen in Unit 10 three years ago. Behind a locked gate on private land. Deputies said it wasn’t uncommon. Go figure - I’ve hunted all over the west and never heard of that happening. Bunch of damn thieves over there!

In 2011 my truck got broken into at motel in Santa Fe. Had some bandit types ride into our camp site deep in 45.....they move on after some attempts at intimidating us. If you stay at a motel, do not leave a damn thing in your rig. Take it all inside with you, leave nothing to chance. Use to work in ABQ........what they said above.

If you’re in ABQ and driving a Ford Superduty and park it overnight they can be in them and gone in seconds. I had mine broke into at a motel by the airport right in front of the room in broad day light but the alarm stopped them. ABQ police asked me if I was driving a Superduty because that is the thieves favorite truck to steal and not to leave it abandoned that night because they will come back for it. ABQ is the truck stealing capital of the country.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom