left over unit 30 deer tag

tayhot

Thinking about this left over youth deer tag? Is this a good unit for opportunities for an 11 yr old boy? I know Stinky would know, but he is out of town.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-12 AT 09:28PM (MST)[p]true, but is it worth a 5-6 hr drive to get there when we will be passing other good deer country along the way. Why not just answer the question?

Didnt expect the typicall MM response from you Paul. Didnt you just ask about how the unit 22 deer hunt would be? Atleast your hunting

Did not mean it in a negative way, sorry you took it that way.

Not sure what other opportunities are still out there on the leftover tag list.

30 is tough. I know there are pockets of deer, but, I have spent countless hours behind glass in 30 looking in areas that I would consider excellent deer habitat and have seen almost no deer. That is in Feb, when you normally see most of the deer in an area.
If your going in cold and do not have someone sharing a good area with you there is no way I would drive that far for 30.

Are there any youth tags left that are spread over 3 weekends? I think those are great. Great dates and if close enough you may get out 3 different weekends without missing much school.

I remember some unit 15 ML youth deer tags, but, do not know much about that unit. I preffered a rifle hunt for youth.

Stinky will tell you about some 180" bucks though. :)

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-12
>AT 09:28?PM (MST)

>
>true, but is it worth a
>5-6 hr drive to get
>there when we will be
>passing other good deer country
>along the way. Why not
>just answer the question?
>
>Didnt expect the typicall MM response
>from you Paul. Didnt you
>just ask about how the
>unit 22 deer hunt would
>be? Atleast your hunting

Just to reply to your edit. I chose unit 22 over the other leftover tags only because of the dates and I wanted to learn some new country. I asked for help and I have gotten some great help. Some guys really stepped up and gave me some great advice.

That being said, over the last few weeks I have spent maybe 6 hours on the phone with guys I have never met and have tried to give them advice on hunts I am familiar with. Ibex, barbary,Elk in 34, pigs in 34, Antelope in 29, and javelina even some good dove spots.

My original response was sincere. Any hunt when your 11 is better than nothing. If I had something good I could tell you about 30 I would, I just never saw enough deer there during barbary season to ever justify getting a tag there.

mokey coming from you i am laughing. ive never seen anyone ask more people about where to go than you. just answer the freaking question

all i asked was if this was a good decent unit. i can find my own spots without the help of anyone else.

Thanks Paul. that was a great and honest response. No hard feelings, just felt a little slided when you had asked a similar question a few days prior and got that response from you.

tayhot,

pm me if you decide to go for that tag. It's been a few years but No guarantees, but I know of a couple canyons that held some decent bucks for that area. No booners, but wouldn't be a bad deal for getting youth into hunting...

I allrady know 15, 16's 13, 17, 22, etc. Just wanted to try some new country. I know that you help a lot of people out and its admirable.

Tayhot,

Yea I deffinately think it is worth the drive for a young hunter. I hunted that area the first four years I carried a rifle. That area can offer lots of opprotunity to see many animals. Out of the four years I hunted there we were sucessful for 3 of them, including one time my dad and I both had a deer down by 830 in the morning. So yea, its worth the drive. It has been a few years so I need to look at the maps and find the location. I will send you a pm once I figure it out. It might take a few days cause I got a lot going on right now but I will not forget. Take care

30 is rough... last few years and about 1000 to many tags has not been kind to the unit. IF you see a legal buck, shoot it hunt for sure... Might be a fun hunt for a kid, but my best guess for a firsttimer in the unit with no access to private, 50%... not bad, a good way to learn about hunting! Again i would not pass a fork!

www.200inches.com

my wife got her first deer out there last year. i picked her up a leftover muzzy tag. its a tough hunt for sure. we saw 0 deer the first day. We moved to new area the second morning and she got lucky and tagged a little fork. pm me and ill try to help you out.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom