Leftover List Issues

WoodsD9

I've been trying to get a deer tag from the leftover list the past few weeks and have been having some issues. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem.

Sequence:
1. I see a tag pop up on the leftover list
2. Immediately login to the CPW site
3. Try to add the hunt code only to get an error with the hunt code

Now I completely understand they go quickly and the tag could be gone but what is weird is on several occasions I have checked the leftover list and the particular hunt code I was interested in remained on the list for several update cycles.

Has anyone else had this issue?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-19 AT 03:45PM (MST)[p]Someone bought it around the 2 minute mark before you tried to from when it hit the list and it ended up on 2 lists likely. If it ended up on more than 2 lists, then you might have something.

I have seen tags sold somewhat quickly that end up on 2 lists, but never 3.

I'm not 100% sure in this but I think when you get the error message, the tag is already gone and it takes a while for it purge off of the list. You'll notice at the top of each leftover page it says - Due to delays in processing, this data may be up to one hour old.

Unless you are trying to buy a tag that no one wants or a tag that is predominantly private land you will never get it no matter how fast you enter your info. The highly sought after tags are already cued up by some in the system in the event they become available. People have already paid big money for a BOT service to purchase that tags for them within 5 seconds of it hitting the leftover/re-issue list. The common hunter will never have a chance.

Now one can argue that this isn't true but it's simply the hunter who has the experience or knowledge to write a program to do this just for them. Those people exist.

I disagree with you cowhitey.I got a unit 61 tag off the leftover list last year simply by being fast enough and looking at it at the right time.
That being said, I would be more likely to think that CPW employees get most of the premium tags and have probably purchased them before they even hit the list.
I had a conversation with a CPW employee last year and I specifically asked, if the employees know when a premium tag is going to hit the list and are sitting at a CPW computer as soon as it appears so they get first crack at it? His response was " of course we do, perk of the job"
I asked this because when I walked into the office to purchase a tag that had just popped up on the list , I noticed that all the screens in the office were cued to the leftover list.

oldmossback,

I disagree.

Last year was last year. The BOT programs that people DO have now are new this year. You getting a 61 tag last year is irrelevant but congrats on your 61 tag last year. I too got a nice tag last year by having fast fingers.

It's short for Robot and used to describe a computer program that can select and complete the entire purchase process in a couple seconds. The programming is written to activate the entire purchase the second the license hits the leftover/reissue list. Humans can not physically enter the required information and payment information even close to the speed of the computer.

If an ?error? code pops up I was told by CPW it is because the hunting season has already started and that if the hunt has started tags can only be picked up at a CPW office.
If you have a code that says there is not an available quota for the hunt you entered, you were too slow.

I bought one this year. I was logged in and ready to go. Once it hit the list I already had entered hunters Ed etc. This was the 3rd time I had one in the cart, but I was finally faster than the other guys!!! Many times before I tried and had the same error code meaning it was sold before I could even try.

If you get an error, it is already sold or in the 'basket' for someone at fish and game or license agent. They only have to grab it, not complete check out.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom