Leftover list

Thomas11

So I wasn't aware of this but if you check the box for leftover list and only buy a PP, you can only buy a cow leftover tag from the leftover list as a NR. This makes no sense in that they ask you to check the leftover list box but won't allow you to buy a bull leftover tag because you only bought a PP, which is the price of a cow tag. I'm usually pretty much up on all the states draw systems and how they work but this one got me! So all NR just be aware in the future if you like to look at the leftover list u must apply for a bull priced tag instead of the PP

Preference points are given to those who did not draw their first choice. When you chose a preference point as your first choice you give up your chance at a premium tag.

>So I wasn't aware of this
>but if you check the
>box for leftover list and
>only buy a PP, you
>can only buy a cow
>leftover tag from the leftover
>list as a NR. This
>makes no sense in that
>they ask you to check
>the leftover list box but
>won't allow you to buy
>a bull leftover tag because
>you only bought a PP,
>which is the price of
>a cow tag. I'm usually
>pretty much up on all
>the states draw systems and
>how they work but this
>one got me! So all
>NR just be aware in
>the future if you like
>to look at the leftover
>list u must apply for
>a bull priced tag instead
>of the PP

Not exactly. You just need to submit the full amount of a bull license when applying for a pp to enter the left over bull license drawing (to see the available bull tags as you say). In your defenses I didn't see it clearly spelled out in the regs either

When you chose
>a preference point as your
>first choice you give up
>your chance at a premium
>tag.

Not exactly. But most of the premium tags are gone after the initial drawing, really after the first choice part of the initial drawing. Had he submitted the full amount of a bull tag with his pp app he would have been eligible to apply in the leftover draw for any available bull tags. Because he only submitted the amount of a cow tag he's only eligible for a cow tag in the leftover draw.

Page 32 of the regs is as close as it comes. It includes about every bull tag option but a leftover bull tag in the explanation.

8854620160616130639.jpg

There's one final opportunity on Aug 2nd at 9am. Tags leftover after all drawings go on sale at this time. It's phone in or in person at a licenseing agent.

Yea I realize you can buy what's left in August if there's anything left! But that's what I was trying to avoid. I've done that before and good luck getting someone on the phone. I don't think it even gave me an option to pay more than a cow tag when purchasing the PP? I could be wrong but I think it just defaulted to that amount, but what is crapy is not being able to just pay the difference if there was something on the leftover list that you wanted and u checked the box to be sent the list! Otherwise I would have just got the refund. Oh well! I'll just probably do a OTC hunt archery! I'm Huntin somewhere damn it!

Based on what I read in the regulations about both preference points and leftovers, I think you have a beef and should be allowed to purchase a bull tag from the leftover list. I would definitely call the DOW and ask them. You must not be the first person to do this, but it might not happen a lot.

One would assume if you wanted to hunt elk in CO as your 2nd choice, you would have applied for a bull tag as your 2nd choice and not been charged the cow tag price. Just curious why you didn't do that...I am guessing because you didn't know when or where you wanted to apply or you were waiting on another state's draw to complete. I think to do what you intended to do, you would have to apply for preference choice as your 1st choice, then a hard to draw bull tag (Unit 10...) so you wouldn't get a tag, then click the leftover box.

Maybe CO gives you an option when you apply on-line to pay the bull license fee to be included on the leftover list, but I have not seen it. Good Luck, definitely call them and complain and tell them no where does it say you are not allowed to apply for a bull tag.

Yer right, pickins are slim come august, and the phone in is a joke. I'm usually sitting at a licenseing agent counter early August 2nd, if you see something you want let me know as you can submit apps for others at that time. As a res I don't know about the default to a cow price, somethin to look close at next year I guess. Just know that you can apply for a pp and enter the leftover bull draw if you submit the price of a bull tag. Good luck this fall!

>Based on what I read in
>the regulations about both preference
>points and leftovers, I think
>you have a beef and
>should be allowed to purchase
>a bull tag from the
>leftover list. I would definitely
>call the DOW and ask
>them. You must not
>be the first person to
>do this, but it might
>not happen a lot.
>
>One would assume if you wanted
>to hunt elk in CO
>as your 2nd choice, you
>would have applied for a
>bull tag as your 2nd
>choice and not been charged
>the cow tag price.
>Just curious why you didn't
>do that...I am guessing because
>you didn't know when or
>where you wanted to apply
>or you were waiting on
>another state's draw to complete.
> I think to do
>what you intended to do,
>you would have to apply
>for preference choice as your
>1st choice, then a hard
>to draw bull tag (Unit
>10...) so you wouldn't get
>a tag, then click the
>leftover box.
>
>Maybe CO gives you an option
>when you apply on-line to
>pay the bull license fee
>to be included on the
>leftover list, but I have
>not seen it. Good
>Luck, definitely call them and
>complain and tell them no
>where does it say you
>are not allowed to apply
>for a bull tag.

Yea I didn't apply for a second choice bull because I was still waiting on other states results and figured if I didn't draw I could always buy a leftover tag. I mean it's not the end of world, we aren't talking about missing out on a unit 2 or something but it's just the point of it and it doesn't make sense for them to ask you do you want the leftover list and then u can't purchase a either sex tag. I did try and call but it didn't get anywhere

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-16 AT 11:24AM (MST)[p]I think the issue is the online system might default to the cow license fee. If it does not give you a choice to use the bull license fee, then he has a beef with the DOW. If it does give you that choice, than he doesn't have a beef. I just can't remember seeing the option to pay the bull license fee....I always do the cow license fee because it is cheaper.

I think it does default to the cow price. The workaround is to apply for an impossible bull license second choice.

I admit I probably wouldn't have thought about it before applying if I were a NR.

The issue is that no where in the regulations does it tell you that you cannot do what the OP did and it let him click the box to enter in the leftover draw. I think he should be allowed in if he pays the difference in tag fees.

if you have someone here that would go stand in line or buy one in person for you.. You do not need to be present.. They just need all your info. I know the phone thing can be a pain, but maybe if it is your only choice I would suggest contacting one of the other offices instead of the Denver one. Pueblo or Ft.Collins or another smaller one!!

I was unpleasantly surprised to find that out as well. The thing to do in the future is apply for a bull tag, say in unit 201, as your first choice. You won't draw and you will get a point and the chance to draw a bull in the leftover drawing.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Yea I called and the department of wildlife said they were aware that no where in the regulations that it stated u couldn't buy a leftover bull tag if u checked the box and it did default to the cow price if u just bought the PP but still they couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it and would not accept the additional money in the leftover draw. I even spoke to a manager

RE: Leftover livst

Wow. They admitted their system was wrong and would not fix it for you! I would try again, somehow someone could fix this for you.

RE: Leftover livst

Well it's only a leftover tag so no need to raise too big of stink about it but it is kinda crazy that u followed their rules about how to get a leftover tag and then u can't buy one. Kinda silly to me but I'll do a OTC atchery hunt somewhere there. Kinda want to explore a couple new areas anyways. As long as I'm elk hunting in sept I'm happy!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom