Leftover sale......

DW

Long Time Member
Who's in line?

"Not sure I grasp BHA motivation".
Hossblur 7/25/19

#livelikezac

Pretty convenient for the guys physically standing in line that the website makes you wait in line for 6-7 mins.....basically until all the tags are gone lol

I got an bull elk tag. Not a coveted tag, but it will allow me to hunt at the same time as my dad, he has a deer tag.

I got stuck inline and took until 10:10 to get in and all gone.

What d they do with sheep and mnt goat leftover tags now?

"Swing and a miss . . ."

-Hawkeye-

My Favorite Expo Tag Quotes:

"It is fair to ask how much comes in with the five dollar application fees and how much went onto the ground.? Don Peay of SFW during 3/31/2005 Wildlife Board Meeting.

"There will be a full accounting of how the applications fees are spent.? Don Peay of SFW - 9/26/2006 - Monstermuleys.com

Took 10 minutes to get through and all the tags I tried were gone. System was better thank last year, but still like a lottery I guess.

I did it over the internet. It was very slow. Took several minutes from the go time to be able to put in what units I wanted. I was hoping for a deer tag for my son. We struck out on 4-5 options. by 9:10, we gave up. But I did a sliver hope at 8:59. I really thought I had a chance, LOL.

I went for a unit that had 5 tags available. It is a popular tag, but I entered in the hunt code at 9:00:15 and they were already sold out... I question the legitimacy of the 9:00 start if I couldn't even add the tag to my cart. I have a hard time believing people could check out in under 15 seconds. I wonder if some people have an in to get the tags early.

How did you even get to the page where you enter the hunt code in 15 seconds? It took me a good 3-4 minutes of loading before I even got to the page to enter the code.

I got in really early, and I have a good internet connection. It told me the 5 tags were sold out before the clock hit 9:01.

Probably was past all of that and the DOW instructions were actually false!!! How ridiculous is that.

Wow that's impressive it went that fast. I started at the residency page at 9:00 as well and have high speed internet too and it still took me a few minutes before I even got to the hunt code page.

Waste of time-- tried 10 deer hunts codes at Ft Collins Offce CPW-- all gone in less than 15 min..
Jerry Gold-- Ft Collins, Co

Interesting good info. This is my first time trying and a learning experience. Some great potential IMO.

Where do sheep and mnt goat tags go?

Was able to pick up muzzy cow and rifle bear for same unit. My buddy got the same. I guess one of us will carry a rifle and one a muzzy!

There are a few fair cow tags left on the west side but it looks like mostly junk unless you just want to get out and there's nothing wrong with that.

Pulled the three flathead tags I tried for.

Hossblur 7/25/19

#livelikezac

On the residency page right at 9, high speed internet and couldn't get to the hunt code page until about 9:10, also had 3 phones redialing the number for a consistent 10 minutes, never once got through. I told myself last year I was done with this circus, like an addict, had to come back to it.

I'm probably going to get ripped for this but I'm going to say it anyways.
I'll start by saying I love Hunting Colorado and have MANY times since 1988.I already have a Deer tag for this year so I didn't need to try and attempt to get on today.
I hate the way they give out the left over tags for a state that has a true preference point draw there has to be a better way. I think it's very unfair to people who work and have jobs that don't allow them to be able to just sit at the computer waiting to get the tag. I'm not talking about just today but as the tags become available when returned in the following months. I'm sure they do it this way because it's more efficient then them calling of a alternate list like some states do.

I 100% agree oilcan! I cannot believe they ever adopted this system but gave it a go. IMO it needs to go away but that said I tried to play this year and will again next year.

Don I don't blame you or anyone else for trying, this is the system so if you want a leftover you have no choice. I just don't understand how a state that in the regular draw gives the tags to the most ?deserving? meaning the highest points with no Random draw has a system for leftovers were basically it comes down to luck if you can log on fast enough.

Here is what's screwed up......
I put in for a 3rd season buck tag and my girlfriend 2nd season for the same season. Neither of us drew the tag but there was over 20 left over. Guess what they were sold out by the time we got in.

Not sure there is anything messed up about that. Most likely, these were not "left over" but were either not paid for (invalid credit card), or the person who drew returned the tag early after the draw.

Unless you messed up something on your application, you would have drawn if there were truly left overs.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

It's a poop show, but it's our poop show. Swung and missed on a doe antelope in 201. In before 9.02, already gone.

My guess is the quality tags went to those first in line at DOW offices with fast moving employees, which means your going to need to camp on a office AND have a fast employee. Have yet to hear of anyone getting a GOOD tag online this year but did hear of guys getting GOOD tags at the offices last year, they earned em by camping out and being first in line.

i would bet 99% of the better tags went to people standing in line at one of the offices. Id love to see how many people actually got tags that take preference points online?

?

The reissue is fantastic.

Gives the DOW more money and people more opportunity.

I dont get why people complain so much about the gift that has been given. Both parties win.

>The reissue is fantastic.
>
>Gives the DOW more money and
>people more opportunity.
>
>I dont get why people complain
>so much about the gift
>that has been given. Both
>parties win.

I disagree it doesn't give more people opportunity because it's not practical for everyone to physically stand in line or access to computer at exact time tags become available.

And as far as more money they will sell the tags regardless. Take Wyoming for example they do a leftover draw them the remaining go first come first served and they have no issue selling most all tags. Not to mention The processing fees they would get for the leftover draw.

>The reissue is fantastic.
>
>Gives the DOW more money and
>people more opportunity.
>
>I dont get why people complain
>so much about the gift
>that has been given. Both
>parties win.

Agree!

I tried to get list B doe tag, one of 113 available. I was Online "in line" on new this yr waiting queue at 900. .. By 913 i was being served. By 915 it said No Quota Available for doe tag. Luckily i got cow elk i wanted. But to think all those doe tags were gone is weird.

I tried several codes i thought should have had tags available and got no doe tags. Anyone else fail to get doe tags with decent #s vefore freeforall started?

bulldog I didn't get my gift. Well I didn't really need another tag but wanted one,and based on the timing my wife was on line with 7 units and about 20 possible tags I dont see how the tags where there at 9, someone got them and I would like to know how, like everyone else. I used the time on my cell phone,I needed to know which office was 5 minutes early,timing is everything.

Oilcan

You want a draw which is 100% pure luck, you say then say it's luck in who logs on the website fastest. You don't want to or can't go get in line first either. There will be about 3 months of tags showing up every five minutes 4 days a week, plenty of opportunity to create some luck.
I will take the reissue process where I have some control over the amount of effort and time I put in that could be rewarded vs a random draw and hope the tag ferry drops one in my mailbox.

Again the returned tags were trashed in the past.

They don't sell the tags regardless, they were going unused.

Reissue vs. leftover is totally different. Wyoming doesn't reissue turned in tags.

Tags will be added until the start of 4th season. If someone wants a tag, they have the opportunity to get one. That's a ton of extra opportunity for people.... mostly residents as it gets closer to the seasons.

I don't understand why we complain about the added opportunity.

I would like to see the people who put in for the unit and did not drawn get first choice starting with the ones with the most points.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-19 AT 06:49PM (MST)[p]>I used the time on
>my cell phone,I needed to
>know which office was 5
>minutes early,timing is everything.

I don't think any office was 5 minutes early. I was in line at Walmart early and was first in line. I got 3 tags, one had 2 available, one had 17 available and the other had 126. Ive played on my phone while in line and stared at the spinning wheel of death as the clerk pulled up my tags in well under 2 minutes. Had 2 other friends first in line at other stores, one drove from Wisconsin, they both got the tags they wanted. Thats why my question in the OP was who's IN line not who's ONline.

Hossblur 7/25/19

#livelikezac

For the units that require 5 or more points, they do call the next 5 in line.

If you have waited a long time for a hunt, chances are you will not take a tag on short notice with little to no planning available. Or you might have other plans. A lot of people turn that idea down. I would to.

I think calling the high point tags and doing a random for the rest was a good compromise

Think about the logistics of calling the next people in line:

How many times do you call a friend and get voice mail?

Do you answer phone numbers you don't know?

It wouldn't be fair to call once and if it goes to voice mail, simply go on to the next parson, so how long do you give them to call you back? 1 hour, 12 hours, 1 day??

Once you actually talk to someone, how long do you give them to make up their minds about the tag. You can't expect them to say yes the second you call. 1 day?

Do you call only male tags and skip female tags?

There are 10s of thousands of tags available...??.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>I would like to see the
>people who put in for
>the unit and did not
>drawn get first choice starting
>with the ones with the
>most points.

I like this idea. Why can they have a 2nd draw? With thousands of tags available this seems like a fair option.

>>I would like to see the
>>people who put in for
>>the unit and did not
>>drawn get first choice starting
>>with the ones with the
>>most points.
>
>I like this idea. Why
>can they have a 2nd
>draw? With thousands of
>tags available this seems like
>a fair option.

Too much work for the home office. The cap on 5 points or more reduces the number to a manageable amount.

When would the drawing take place? Tags are turned in up to 30 days before the season starts. It takes some time to set up a drawing. Add to that all seasons start on the same day, adding to the problem of setting up a second drawing with thousands being eligible. Seems like a hassle for the DOW.

Complaining may end up with DOW saying the hell with this. If they stopped doing it the upside would be the original hunter loses their points. The downside is obvious.

They already do, it is called the Leftover Draw! The majority of those thousands of tags on the leftover list already went through two draws.

The issue is the returned tags and tags not paid for don't go into the Leftover Draw so they are returning them basically a week after they receive them randomly. I don't think there is a good solution, if a tag takes greater than five points and they call the next five in line seems to be the best they can manage.

>
>I like this idea. Why
>can they have a 2nd
>draw? With thousands of
>tags available this seems like
>a fair option.

Next year it will be different. They're going to 2 straight draws, anyone is eligible. The next new revenue stream, more app fees, with lower odds of drawing. The resident advantage is gone.

Hossblur 7/25/19

#livelikezac

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-19 AT 12:24PM (MST)[p]>I think calling the high point
>tags and doing a random
>for the rest was a
>good compromise
>
>Think about the logistics of calling
>the next people in line:
>
>
>How many times do you call
>a friend and get voice
>mail?
>
>Do you answer phone numbers you
>don't know?
>
>It wouldn't be fair to call
>once and if it goes
>to voice mail, simply go
>on to the next parson,
>so how long do you
>give them to call you
>back? 1 hour, 12
>hours, 1 day??
>
>Once you actually talk to someone,
>how long do you give
>them to make up their
>minds about the tag.
>You can't expect them to
>say yes the second you
>call. 1 day?
>
>Do you call only male tags
>and skip female tags?
>
>There are 10s of thousands of
>tags available...??.
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

Utah doesn't seem to have an issue with calling the next person in line for a returned tag. They even do it for the general season deer tags. My brother was called for a general season deer tag. They left a message saying that he had 3 days to accept it and if he didn't it would go to the next person in line.

I absolutely hate Colorado?s system. It should go to the next person in line and if they accept it, they lose their points. People say that it would be impossible to call that many people. Utah proves this theory wrong.

>Utah doesn't seem to have an
>issue with calling the next
>person in line for a
>returned tag. They even
>do it for the general
>season deer tags. My
>brother was called for a
>general season deer tag.
>They left a message saying
>that he had 3 days
>to accept it and if
>he didn't it would go
>to the next person in
>line.
>
>I absolutely hate Colorado?s system.
>It should go to the
>next person in line and
>if they accept it, they
>lose their points. People
>say that it would be
>impossible to call that many
>people. Utah proves this
>theory wrong.

When CPW was proposing to reissue returned tags a couple of years ago, it was said that they had about 10,000 returned tags annually. I would wager that UT doesn't have a fraction of that returned.

>Next year it will be different.
>They're going to 2 straight
>draws, anyone is eligible. The
>next new revenue stream, more
>app fees, with lower odds
>of drawing. The resident advantage
>is gone.
>
>
>
>"Not sure I grasp BHA motivation".
>
>Hossblur 7/25/19
>
>#livelikezac

Where did you get this info?

>>Next year it will be different.
>>They're going to 2 straight
>>draws, anyone is eligible. The
>>next new revenue stream, more
>>app fees, with lower odds
>>of drawing. The resident advantage
>>is gone.
>>
>>
>>
>>"Not sure I grasp BHA motivation".
>>
>>Hossblur 7/25/19
>>
>>#livelikezac
>
>
>Where did you get this info?
>

Theres a link imbedded in this thread toward the end and then its discussed.

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=246656&messages=151&state=Co

Hossblur 7/25/19

#livelikezac

How are they going to do a draw for tags that are randomly turned in from July to November? Do a draw every week?
Not gonna happen

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-19 AT 08:29PM (MST)[p]>How are they going to do
>a draw for tags that
>are randomly turned in from
>July to November? Do a
>draw every week?
>Not gonna happen

They will still do the random thing after the second draw. Got 4 tags last year on sale day and 3 this year.....those days are over.....too many people complainin not fair I'm sure. Oh well, improvise, adapt, overcome.

Hossblur 7/25/19

#livelikezac

Do like other states and don't allow people to turn their tags in once they bought them. Make people commit, have a second drawing for leftovers and unclaimed tags. Any remaining sold on first com first serve. Would be easy. Problem is the state would lose too much revenue so they would never do it.

So the proposal is to require a 2nd application for the 2nd draw, which means paying another app fee. Figures the CPW would pinch us for more money.

>So the proposal is to require
>a 2nd application for the
>2nd draw, which means paying
>another app fee. Figures
>the CPW would pinch us
>for more money.

Yep. And if you haven't already purchased a "qualifying license" you'll probably need one of those to get in the second draw! Before long im sure the OTC guys will need one as well! Money money money money money money money!!!!

Hossblur 7/25/19

#livelikezac

I don't do OTC, but it's not required to have a hunting license and tag to hunt? Just need a license to apply for a tag, or hunt small game. However buying a OTC or leftover tag no license required?

>This leftover crap is stupid. Why
>don't they just give out
>all the tags they really
>want to sell in the
>regular draw?
Brilliant !?

Hasbean

>>This leftover crap is stupid. Why
>>don't they just give out
>>all the tags they really
>>want to sell in the
>>regular draw?
>Brilliant !?
>
>Hasbean

LOL Bean.

Jake H.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom