Leftovers

Screenshot_20200728-065120_Chrome.jpg

What I noticed is there aren't as many as last year. 87 buck antelope, 8 last year, 1 this year.

It’s a big deal (at least for me), being a nonresident and having my hunters safety verified (did it on my hunt last year). It eliminates 2 pages I have to go through now, to get to the selection page. Not sure how it is for residents?
Even so, my son and I both picked up decent tags last year!

I'm curious, will this list be updated between now and the purchase day as more returned licenses get processed?

Not a chance at any decent tag when you are up against the bots!
I think part of the problem is people don’t think of the odds. A huge number of people are trying for the same tags, it is never a ‘given’. It’s kind of like playing the lottery.

Float means that the number of leftover tags are available for a number of seasons. Say there are 20 tags leftover in Unit 41 And they are “float”. You could then pick which season, typically 2nd through 4th in which to use that tag.

I think part of the problem is people don’t think of the odds. A huge number of people are trying for the same tags, it is never a ‘given’. It’s kind of like playing the lottery.

Yep, everyone is trying to log in and buy the tags at the same time.

hogwash, i have snagged several 5-8pt tags, and several 10-14 point tags too by typing in my info myself. One year I think I scored like 33 pref points worth of reissue tags. It can be done.

I nab tags every year but not out of the gates.

What’s the point cut off for reissue???
I know it’s based off of residence points, but there’s a couple on there that have me wondering...

If you already have a tag, say for deer, can you buy a deer tag from the leftover list and then turn in the tag you already have?

If you already have a tag, say for deer, can you buy a deer tag from the leftover list and then turn in the tag you already have?

The best answer to your question is no , you can’t. If you are talking about an “A” tag and you already have one, you can’t buy another A tag and then turn the first one in. You would have to turn the first one in before you can buy another one. Impossible to do online. Only possible in person.

The best answer to your question is no , you can’t. If you are talking about an “A” tag and you already have one, you can’t buy another A tag and then turn the first one in. You would have to turn the first one in before you can buy another one. Impossible to do online. Only possible in person.
Txhunter is correct. I checked with CPW today. I already have a tag and want a preferred tag. I would have to turn back my original tag in person and hope to get real lucky on Tuesday. I’ll hold my original tag.

If you return a tag by mail, its going to be a while before they process it. I think my last one took 3 weeks to process.

Does anyone know if you can be logged in to your CPW account on 2 different computers at the same time during this process? in other words, can I be applying for one tag and have my wife using another computer trying for a different tag?

I already have my tag so I won’t be trying but I am curious how it works.
Do you have your hunt choice entered and just try hitting submit @ 9 or do you have to wait till 9 to enter hunt choice ?

I don’t think it will even allow you to enter the hunt codes until after 9. Which is why it always crashes a few minutes after 9 ?

Guess I am like dumb and dumber: So You’re saying there’s a chance......it won’t crash this year?

Walmart? It takes half a day to get a fishing license here. Last place I would go in a hurry. Or for any other reason for that matter.

I was waiting for over 30 minutes and had another 20 minutes for sure left on the que. I moved on...
That was funny. They never told anyone publicly about the Que! At least that I saw anywhere. Waited for 30 minutes and got in at 11:05 after everyone else checked out I guess...I bet some employees knew about the que :) and were in for hours.

The virtual queue was stated on their website from the first day they posted the leftover list last week. Had no idea how it would work, but they definitely warned us in advance. That feature, and the use of Re-Captcha, probably kept the so-called "bots" from doing much good.

The virtual queue was stated on their website from the first day they posted the leftover list last week. Had no idea how it would work, but they definitely warned us in advance. That feature, and the use of Re-Captcha, probably kept the so-called "bots" from doing much good.
I looked everywhere for specific directions like they have had in previous years and only found what was on the front page of the list which did not state anything about a virtual que. I believe you, but I couldn't find it and tried to. If you have a link to where it states that, I would like to see how I missed it. Thanks!

I went in at 9.02.

I was able to get my last choice for elk entered and when I got my CC info all e tered and hit Enter....the quota was used up.

Got my hopes up for nothing...sorta like when we double.dated for the junior prom.

What a shite show. The whole CPW site is confusing and sent me in circles trying to find the page to buy a tag. I finally got logged in and ready, only to have to re-login when I hit the go button. I got nothing.

nripepi...yeah they had mentioned it on the introduction page of the Leftover List of Hunt Codes, that's the only place I saw it mentioned. But now that the sale process has opened, that descriptive page is removed. It was actually in use last year (it's an application called Queue-It), when there were a few problems with it. But it seemed to work well this year, as long as you knew to log in very early (I didn't!). Here's a quote from a CPW Commission memo last August:

"Queue-It is designed to kick-in when 1,500 or more customers are accessing cpwshop.com per minute, to keep the system from being overloaded. Once a customer moves from Queue-It to cpwshop.com, they have 30 minutes to complete their transaction or they will be placed back into the queue, if it is active."

nripepi...yeah they had mentioned it on the introduction page of the Leftover List of Hunt Codes, that's the only place I saw it mentioned. But now that the sale process has opened, that descriptive page is removed. It was actually in use last year (it's an application called Queue-It), when there were a few problems with it. But it seemed to work well this year, as long as you knew to log in very early (I didn't!). Here's a quote from a CPW Commission memo last August:

"Queue-It is designed to kick-in when 1,500 or more customers are accessing cpwshop.com per minute, to keep the system from being overloaded. Once a customer moves from Queue-It to cpwshop.com, they have 30 minutes to complete their transaction or they will be placed back into the queue, if it is active."
I think it was only mentioned in 2019. I have the 2020 stuff saved and it is not listed there. I guess I got in earlier last year as I don't remember it being an issue. It seems like if you are not the first 1,500 in-line, you are not going to get a decent tag. That isn't really a fair system, but ooh well. When are you allowed to get into the Queue is the question, 1 hour, 2 hours....ahead of time? I guess there is no good way to do this, just wish they would have mentioned it this year so I got inline more than 30 minutes ahead of time...no big deal.

I got two different error messages:

Does not have available quota and is not available for sale. For different hunt codes.

I wonder why the difference.

I see they have robot protection now. There were a lot of complaints last year about bots. Will this new feature solve that problem?

Because right hand does not know what left hand is doing!

I was thinking one meant no quota and the other meant a license was in somebody's shopping cart.

I've got an error that I wasn't eligible to purchase a license. That was for a high point tag. I guess they have to contact the next highest in the draw.

Good news for the folks worried about travel and covid, etc. and pondering returning Colorado tags or eating them.

CPW has rolled out more forgiving tag refund and points reinstatement procedures bc of covid.

If concern about covid or pandemic are cited on the return form you will get your money AND points back if postmarked by 15 days before season start. That is an improvement of having to choose money pr points AND overrides the 30-day rule by 15 days. But wont get an added point for this year so far. Not publicized yet, but I understand it will be--but take this to the bank. True as of a couple weeks ago. Surely this will impact some nonresidents in particular and some residents who at crunch time may have concerns about traveling.

I wonder if other states may loosen standards too.

That's too late in the process. This morning after this fiasco, I reviewed both emails I received from the state last week where they encouraged online purchase because of the chi-comm virus. No where in those emails was it communicated that this queing procedure would be in place and no where in those emails did it mention when an individual could start queing up. I have already been to the DOW office in Montrose and complained about it along with a LOT of other folks. The folks in the Montrose office claimed they were unaware of this process until this morning when they started receiving calls. They said they were sending emails to Denver each time a customer came in to complain. Very poor of DOW to send multiple emails encouraging online participation and not informing folks in those emails of the queue or any other details about it. I tried to log on at 8:45am and was in que until 9:15. Too bad, so sad - all the tags of interest to me had been long gone at 9:01. Piss poor way to treat customers...

This is why it's important to keep issuing tags on a random basis from here on out. Imagine having this rush on the system every Tuesday morning for the next 4 months.

Please contact the commission and encourage them to keep the random issuing of tags next year.

That's too late in the process. This morning after this fiasco, I reviewed both emails I received from the state last week where they encouraged online purchase because of the chi-comm virus. No where in those emails was it communicated that this queing procedure would be in place and no where in those emails did it mention when an individual could start queing up. I have already been to the DOW office in Montrose and complained about it along with a LOT of other folks.
Agreed it took many by surprise. If you were in the top 1500, you would have had a really good chance. If not, basically zero chance. I understand it is needed, but they need to put everyone in que and then randomnly let people into the system at 9 am, not first come first serve.

I was thinking one meant no quota and the other meant a license was in somebody's shopping cart.

I've got an error that I wasn't eligible to purchase a license. That was for a high point tag. I guess they have to contact the next highest in the draw.
I have gotten 2 different error code for 2 different deer tags. Both worded differently. I have called CPW and pointed it out and they have no clue either. Their answer was " guess 2 different people entered the formula" They dont give 2 shits about accuracy or details or glitches.

On the tag that said " not available for sale" was it a A list tag and you already have a A list tag? Just a thought? Happened to me before. I had a cow tag and thought it was a B list tag and it was actually an A.

Well the stupid Hurricane on the east coast took out the power 10 minutes before it went live. Came back up 10 minutes after 9 MT but by then all tags I was interested in were gone.

On the tag that said " not available for sale" was it a A list tag and you already have a A list tag? Just a thought? Happened to me before. I had a cow tag and thought it was a B list tag and it was actually an A.

I had already returned my tag and got a refund. I tested and I can add other List A tags to my cart so my return has been fully processed. I logged in this morning and got different errors for different tags.

Good thing I got my tags in the last 2 draws because after yesterday there is not sh*t left for now anyway

So here's what the error messages mean from CPW:

"Hunt code is not available for sale" indicates that hunt code had been available, but has now sold out.

"Hunt code does not have any available quota" indicates that there were never any licenses for that hunt code on the Leftover List.

This is why it's important to keep issuing tags on a random basis from here on out. Imagine having this rush on the system every Tuesday morning for the next 4 months.

Please contact the commission and encourage them to keep the random issuing of tags next year.

Absolutely

this 100%

Not a blue collar worker I take it?

Better than a cluster F^€¥ every Tuesday morning with 100,000+ people trying to log on at the same time to try for a few tags. You can get an app that tells you when the tag you want pops up

Exactly. Your chances of getting a good tag are just as good by finding an hour here or there during the week and really watching the list closely as they are trying to compete against everybody all at once on a certain day and time.

Diyhunts

Actually not an app but a program thru them. Can’t program it for exactly the code you want, but can set for the unit you are interested in

Some people have work to get done and do not have time to look at a list every 5 minutes, white collar and blue collar. How do some of you have time to constantly review the list to get the prime tags?

You have zero chance at good tags on a computer every Tuesday morning at 9:00. You have a chance to randomly get something on a lunch break one day. Hell, i got a good tag last year walking out of a hospital on my phone after i spent the night in the ER.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom