Legislation

Nripepi,

I first want to say that I sympathize with your situation. However, you must realize that Buzz and others simply don’t care about NR preference points or NR limited quota licenses. They are confident that NR will continue to apply for lesser quality opportunities; and they are also confident that NR are willing to pay more for these lesser quality opportunities. Those are the simple facts. As for a mass boycott of Wyoming hunting by NR; good luck with that.

You are wasting your time trying to reason with them since their minds are already made up. Your only hope is to contact the various committee members and explain the situation to them. I listened to the senator’s presentation yesterday and he is basically representing his constituents (Wyoming resident hunters) with disregard to NR hunters and Wyoming Outfitters.

I did not hear the senator address the preference point issue but I think your chances are beyond slim and none that you will ever receive a preference point refund. I would hope that if this legislation passes that the WY Game and Fish or some other group would publish detailed information regarding the reality of drawing a NR license for sheep and moose in the preference point draw. There are currently 11,000 NR with preference points for sheep; at the proposed rate of 25 sheep tags per year, it will take 440 years for all of these folks to draw a tag. Most people will die before they ever draw the tag. This statement is true for both residents and non-residents. These preference points are providing over $1.5 million dollars of income per year; the senator failed to mention this income.

Basically the maximum 10% NR sheep allocation would reduce NR sheep tags from approximately 60 per year to approximately 25 per year; a 60% reduction in sheep tags. Various hunting publications have already indicated that NR applicants with less than 18 preference points are basically wasting the $150/year preference point fee for sheep since applicants with less than 18 points will most likely never draw a sheep tag in the preference point drawing. If the allocation is reduced from 25% to a maximum of 10%, the probability to draw in the preference point draw will decrease by 60%.

Just my 2 cents.
Dead wrong...its not that I don't care about NR hunters, just care a whole lot more about the Resident hunters in the State I live in.

You know, like you do in the state you live in...

There's even a hierarchy of non residents I care more about...those that don't whine, complain and whimper about credit card fees, etc. I care much more about them.

...because of the proposed added new "less than 10 rule" I am coming up with the following NR tag numbers using this year's published license allocations for Sheep and Moose tags (assuming rounding up if = or > than .5);

Sheep -12 NR preference point tags, 0 NR random tags out of 180 total sheep tags = 6.67% NR tags. Because of the "less than 10 rule" NR tags would be eliminated in the following hunt areas that were available to NR's this year: 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 17&26, 18&21, 19, 20, 22

Moose - 25 NR preference point tags, 2 NR random tags out of 340 total moose tags = 7.9% NR tags. Because of the "less than 10 rule" NR tags would be eliminated in the following hunt areas that were available to NR's this year: 2&30, 3 (antlerless) 6, 9, 10, 11, 16&37, 17&28, 18, 22, 25, 33&44, 33 (antlerless), 35, 36, 40 (anterless).

Again, not sure if this is the bill's intention but if the commission follows the proposed law as written they would need to add additional sheep and moose tags to the areas that have over 10 total licenses if they really intend to give NR's 10% of the tags.

I recall several years ago NM had a similar issue with intended NR/Outfitted sheep tag allocation due to the wording in the language that was passed and had to do a work around in the draw to allocate NR's/Outfitters the intended tags by grouping the sheep units into one hunt code.

It would appear some language needs to be added to this proposed bill to address this deficiency/ambiguity...

Horniac

If any of you guys want to hunt sheep you’re more than welcomed to tag along on my hunt any year. I could use some sherpas. I go every year just let me know. You won’t get to pull the trigger but you know what all those spiritual hunters say. It’s not about the kill...

I’ll even let you post as many pics to the internet. And you can have some of the meat as I typically have moose and other more tasty animals in my freezer.

I’m fully in agreement with the 90/10 for OIL hunts. I understand the demand for those tags from residents and NR and feel residents do deserve more than they are getting now.

Also does anyone know what is the reasoning for eliminating the special tag pool? Just so they can combine tags and raise the fees on all tags?

If any of you guys want to hunt sheep you’re more than welcomed to tag along on my hunt any year. I could use some sherpas. I go every year just let me know. You won’t get to pull the trigger but you know what all those spiritual hunters say. It’s not about the kill...

I’ll even let you post as many pics to the internet. And you can have some of the meat as I typically have moose and other more tasty animals in my freezer.
I'll sherpa! My 20 sheep points are not going to be worth much if this goes through. I was getting really close though.

I have little sympathy for any person that applies for a Sheep/Moose/Goat tag, in any state, and fails to determine how many years it might take to draw said tag. Especially when never is a real possibility.
The issue is most everyone with a certain number of points did calculate how long it would likely take and some with a lot of points decided it was worth paying $150 per year for a point. If this passes, then that calculation is not even close to what reality will be and it would have been better to take that $150 per year and invest in a Dall Sheep hunt or whatever else you wanted to do with it.

I understand things change (especially fees), but when you pay for a significant portion of the G&F budget, you would like to have some sort of say if the rug is going to get swept out from under you. Buzz said it is a "sell-out" to non-resident DIY hunters. Just call it what it is, a "sell-out". Sorry for your loss of your money and dreams that we baited you into, we don't care, but we still want your money for an extra 10 years to pay for our management of wildlife.

I would be sheep sherpa IF you took me moose shed hunting... I'm a little in awe

I'm just not going to advocate or waste my time to carry your concerns to my GF department to worry about your credit card woes. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy bigger fish to fry.

Same with the NR point fees....not an important issue to me at all, I just don't care and lets not forget, anyone with 10 or more points got a bunch of then for $7. NR point fees, applications, and associated card fees are so insignificant that I purchase all of them for my immediate NR family, apply for them using my card. I hate shopping for Christmas and Birthdays...and they appreciate the time I spend applying for them.

I'm done listening to your complaints about how chitty Wyoming is for hunting...
I don't ever remember saying how chitty Wyoming is for hunting, that is why I am discussing this with you all. I think I have been to Wyoming 8 times hunting in the last 20 years with family and friends and have had great times. I have plans to use my points that I paid a significant amount of money and waited 2 decades or more for the ability to use them. Now the game is changed after taking $millions of dollars per year. I have 3 kids that are of or almost of preference point age in Wyoming, so I have decisions to make and 90/10 goes into that decision. Obviously, sheep and moose are out at $150 per pop for them. I understand there is a limited resource and everyone wants their piece of the pie.

I think the fees are a big issue, it is a significant amount of money for people that are already paying $100s or $1000s per year. It is another tax where if there is a simple and easy way around it (say charge $5 if you use a debit card) then everyone would be happier. I am not sure how many non-residents your are applying for, but could be quite a bit of money that you could save by using a debit card vs. a credit card. If you bill is $10,000 per year for your non-resident friends/family that is $300. If it is simple, wouldn't you want $300 to spend on something else? If the state is not being charged 3% on debit cards (which they really shouldn't be), it is borderline illegal to pass that on to people using debit cards....don't you think?

I don't ever remember saying how chitty Wyoming is for hunting, that is why I am discussing this with you all. I think I have been to Wyoming 8 times hunting in the last 20 years with family and friends and have had great times. I have plans to use my points that I paid a significant amount of money and waited 2 decades or more for the ability to use them. Now the game is changed after taking $millions of dollars per year. I have 3 kids that are of or almost of preference point age in Wyoming, so I have decisions to make and 90/10 goes into that decision. Obviously, sheep and moose are out at $150 per pop for them. I understand there is a limited resource and everyone wants their piece of the pie.

I think the fees are a big issue, it is a significant amount of money for people that are already paying $100s or $1000s per year. It is another tax where if there is a simple and easy way around it (say charge $5 if you use a debit card) then everyone would be happier. I am not sure how many non-residents your are applying for, but could be quite a bit of money that you could save by using a debit card vs. a credit card. If you bill is $10,000 per year for your non-resident friends/family that is $300. If it is simple, wouldn't you want $300 to spend on something else? If the state is not being charged 3% on debit cards (which they really shouldn't be), it is borderline illegal to pass that on to people using debit cards....don't you think?
Doing business has a cost...and I'm accustomed to paying my own freight instead of expecting to be subsidized by someone else. I don't expect or want the GF to subsidize my use of a credit card...I'll pick up my own tab.

Why do I envision you as the last guy to reach for the tab at lunch?

Hmmm?

I just received a text from someone who is friends with one of the TRW Committee members. This bill won’t make it out of committee tomorrow. The only question left to ask of those who vote against it: where will you or your family members be taking your free guided elk hunt this fall?

Last edited:
I just received a text from someone who is friends with one of the TRW Committee members. This bill won’t make it out of committee tomorrow. The only question left to ask of those who vote against it: where will you or your family members be taking their free guided elk hunt this fall?
Sounds about right. I definitely won't be voting for Landon in the election.

I just received a text from someone who is friends with one of the TRW Committee members. This bill won’t make it out of committee tomorrow. The only question left to ask of those who vote against it: where will you or your family members be taking their free guided elk hunt this fall?
This surprises me. I really thought this had the best chance of similar bills introduced recently.

one response I got
Hello,

Thanks for your email. We are still taking testimony on this bill. I can certainly see both sides of the issue. I lean towards making sure that Wyoming residents, some of whom have put in for many years for a special license, have the opportunity to do so. I also understand that our non-resident hunters bring a fair amount of revenue into our state. I will continue to listen to both sides of the coin before I make a final decision. Thanks for your input.

Wendy Davis Schuler
Wyoming State Legislature
Senate District 15—Evanston

200 Liberty Avenue
307-679-6774

I am willing to take a price increase for resident tags across the board if we go to 90/10. I’ve had 1 LE deer tag in the last 23 years of applying and drew my first LE elk tag in Wyoming last year. It’s the cheapest part of the hunt. Yes I’m able to hunt general every year but that’s the perks of being a resident. It’s expensive to put in for some of the other states I put in for but that’s my choice. I think it’s time that Wyoming gets more in line with the rest of the west as far as nonresident prices. Again I said I would take an increase myself as a resident. Wyoming has just been too cheap for nonresidents for far too long.

Doing business has a cost...and I'm accustomed to paying my own freight instead of expecting to be subsidized by someone else. I don't expect or want the GF to subsidize my use of a credit card...I'll pick up my own tab.

Why do I envision you as the last guy to reach for the tab at lunch?

Hmmm?
Wooooooooooh, hang on a minute there Buzz! If I use a credit card I have no problem paying the fee. If I can use a debit card and not pay a fee, I can keep my hard earned money. I don't want a handout from anyone and I don't want to give my money to credit card companies.

If 90/10 goes through the state of Wyoming's G&F basically subsidized itself on the backs of non-resident hunters buying millions of dollars of preference points per year that are now worth half as much in value. Right?

I ask again, why not just go to 100/0 instead? We all know the answer, because you want your cake and you want to eat it to. You want non-resident's money, but you want to devalue their investment by 50%. I understand everyone wants more tags, who doesn't, but when you try to double the price of tags and at the same time increase the cost by 30%, a few years after increasing costs by 25% it sure seems like a money grab. I thank WY for the opportunities they have provided with respect to hunting and fishing, but this is a bit much. You even agreed a few short years ago.

Wooooooooooh, hang on a minute there Buzz! If I use a credit card I have no problem paying the fee. If I can use a debit card and not pay a fee, I can keep my hard earned money. I don't want a handout from anyone and I don't want to give my money to credit card companies.

If 90/10 goes through the state of Wyoming's G&F basically subsidized itself on the backs of non-resident hunters buying millions of dollars of preference points per year that are now worth half as much in value. Right?

I ask again, why not just go to 100/0 instead? We all know the answer, because you want your cake and you want to eat it to. You want non-resident's money, but you want to devalue their investment by 50%. I understand everyone wants more tags, who doesn't, but when you try to double the price of tags and at the same time increase the cost by 30%, a few years after increasing costs by 25% it sure seems like a money grab. I thank WY for the opportunities they have provided with respect to hunting and fishing, but this is a bit much. You even agreed a few short years ago.
All I can tell you is my wife and I will be taking all 30 tags worth of cake we're entitled to for deer, elk, and pronghorn from now on.

Might as well live up to the "greedy resident bastard" title...

Sort of felt it was a bit ridiculous for each Resident to hold 6 total pronghorn tags, 6 total deer tags, and 3 elk tags each. Also thought NR's would appreciate a bit more opportunity if we left some tags on the table and in the draw.

That ship has sailed....

The issue is most everyone with a certain number of points did calculate how long it would likely take and some with a lot of points decided it was worth paying $150 per year for a point. If this passes, then that calculation is not even close to what reality will be and it would have been better to take that $150 per year and invest in a Dall Sheep hunt or whatever else you wanted to do with it.

I understand things change (especially fees), but when you pay for a significant portion of the G&F budget, you would like to have some sort of say if the rug is going to get swept out from under you. Buzz said it is a "sell-out" to non-resident DIY hunters. Just call it what it is, a "sell-out". Sorry for your loss of your money and dreams that we baited you into, we don't care, but we still want your money for an extra 10 years to pay for our management of wildlife.

I should have worded my comment differently. High point holders do have an argument, same as when AZ cut the bonus pass allotment.

Trying to make $ off nonres with leftover and doe/cow tag sounds like something destined for certain failure! What happens in lean winterkill years with few if any of these tags available?

Trying to make $ off nonres with leftover and doe/cow tag sounds like something destined for certain failure! What happens in lean winterkill years with few if any of these tags available?
Maybe use some of the year's worth of operating reserves the GF has in its account?

Just spit-balling here...

I have asked game and fish yearly for points for non-resident doe antelope so I can better plan hunts and be able to draw a doe tag when I want. I am sure Buzz's answer will be, we can make them Type 4, and you can use your points and pay $600 for a doe antelope tag. If you don't want to do that, stay out of my state!

If the bill dies tomorrow, this subject is far from over. The term "90/10" has become common talk among hunters in Wyoming, where 3 years ago no one knew what it meant. The only bad thing is having to go through another of these "hate Wyoming residents" threads with all the "end of the hunting world" comments.

But it's going to happen, sooner or later, I would bet money, even though I'm not much of a betting man. None of this is meant as dig of any kind, just relaying my observations here and the fact that licenses are getting fewer and harder to draw.

Sounds like us nonres will need to get an earlier start on this next year! I have a few ideas that may work wonders for the NR cause with Wyo legislators!

Don't give ole Larry any bright ideas! $50/pref pts for does and cows would mean more revenue to add to his $8 million! I'm sure that would be super popular with nonres!

I have no problem with points for doe/fawn licenses especially if we could still draw 2. What really needs to happen is a doubling of the license fee, $40 is ridiculous.

I have asked game and fish yearly for points for non-resident doe antelope so I can better plan hunts and be able to draw a doe tag when I want. I am sure Buzz's answer will be, we can make them Type 4, and you can use your points and pay $600 for a doe antelope tag. If you don't want to do that, stay out of my state!
No there is no type 4 for pronghorns. However, my wife and I will have your 8 doe tags, the max we're allowed to get. I know precisely what tags to apply for that Residents can draw every year and Non-Residents aren't drawing every year. Funny thing too, we're very selective trophy doe hunters, rarely find that perfect doe. No big deal, we both feel that pronghorn does are hunted too hard anyway, and the tags make great fire starter.

I'm not bluffing either...stay tuned for a picture in July.

It will look a lot like this, only 20 more tags...

IMG_3653.JPG

No there is no type 4 for pronghorns. However, my wife and I will have your 8 doe tags, the max we're allowed to get. I know precisely what tags to apply for that Residents can draw every year and Non-Residents aren't drawing every year. Funny thing too, we're very selective trophy doe hunters, rarely find that perfect doe. No big deal, we both feel that pronghorn does are hunted too hard anyway, and the tags make great fire starter.

IMG_3653.JPG
You just said in another post to not shoot a mule deer buck for meat, but to shoot a pronghorn doe. I guess you can change your mind/opinion in 2 weeks, Mr. Contradiction. What should I shoot now? I am totally confused on what is best for Buzz and the game and the residents and the non-residents and global warming? Just let me know when I draw a tag if I should burn it or hunt it.

IMG_3653.JPG

I just hope you post a season hunting report. You will be busy.

You just said in another post to not shoot a mule deer buck for meat, but to shoot a pronghorn doe. I guess you can change your mind/opinion in 2 weeks, Mr. Contradiction. What should I shoot now? I am totally confused on what is best for Buzz and the game and the residents and the non-residents and global warming? Just let me know when I draw a tag if I should burn it or hunt it.
I don't care what you shoot on your tags.

All I can tell you is my wife and I will be taking all 30 tags worth of cake we're entitled to for deer, elk, and pronghorn from now on.

Might as well live up to the "greedy resident bastard" title...

Sort of felt it was a bit ridiculous for each Resident to hold 6 total pronghorn tags, 6 total deer tags, and 3 elk tags each. Also thought NR's would appreciate a bit more opportunity if we left some tags on the table and in the draw.

That ship has sailed....
That's comical. This thread didn't change you one bit. This is who you were and who you are. At least own it.

That's comical. This thread didn't change you one bit. This is who you were and who you are. At least own it.
Yes it did change me, made me realize I've been way too generous for way too long. Generosity has turned to entitlement.

Need to start looking out more for resident hunters, starting right here with the 2 resident hunters at my address.

Yes it did change me, made me realize I've been way too generous for way too long. Generosity has turned to entitlement.

Need to start looking out more for resident hunters, starting right here with the 2 resident hunters at my address.
You can’t be that self-unaware.

I don't care what you shoot on your tags.
Hmmmm. One month ago from Buzz. I guess that is ample time to change your mind on people should be able to shoot whatever they have a tag for:

"No, people need to practice a bit of self control and think about what they're doing....

If you need meat, kill 1, 2, or 3 cow elk a year. Elk eat way better and there's more of it. They're also easier to find. Or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 pronghorn you can get a year, also better eating than a mule deer." Buzz - 2021

Interesting to me that some many NR got involved and made their voices heard. Goes to show forums like this can be productive. Word got out and info forwarded to get your voices heard by committee.
Well done hunters.

Interesting to me that some many NR got involved and made their voices heard. Goes to show forums like this can be productive. Word got out and info forwarded to get your voices heard by committee.
Well done hunters.

Did you watch todays video?
Those nr emails were really productive.

"I was not enamored with about 6 or 7 hundred emails dumped in my inbox from out of state folks who I frankly don't know and I just want to be on the record as saying I frankly don't care a whole lot about those people..."

I could not watch but I would encourage all those NR to send more emails. Was it Hicks or someone else ?
Sounds just like another good ol boy we have to deal with in Wyoming.

I am absolutely against preference points. In every form and shape. I sure hope WTF is smart enough to avoid that damn system. The 90/10 is a good thing and should move forward under the right direction. I am afraid that WTF is not in it for the little guys and all about the money. Time will tell.

Well hopefully these senators realize they aren’t elected by the small group of outfitters and nonresidents but rather the people of Wyoming. Hopefully it shows when it’s time for re-election.
“Wyoming First”

What does that mean?
The issue will come before the newly appointed Task Force because the legislators know this issue is far from over. Hicks tried to compromise with the outfitters and they made a huge mistake and said no. It is not thought highly of anyone or any group that won't reach across the table in Cheyenne. It was clear after today this is an issue that will come to some kind of fruition, hard to say what that will be, but we will find out.

Well done hunters.
Apparently in these issues that put constituents against nonresidents, it might be advised to just let outfitters do the talking.(y)

The issue will come before the newly appointed Task Force because the legislators know this issue is far from over. Hicks tried to compromise with the outfitters and they made a huge mistake and said no. It is not thought highly of anyone or any group that won't reach across the table in Cheyenne. It was clear after today this is an issue that will come to some kind of fruition, hard to say what that will be, but we will find out.
JM
When you say Hicks tried to compromise are you talking about this entire bill or did they try to compromise today and still couldn’t?
Also did WOGA really go on record saying they wanted $1400 regular fee elk tags and $2000 special fee?

JM
When you say Hicks tried to compromise are you talking about this entire bill or did they try to compromise today and still couldn’t?
Also did WOGA really go on record saying they wanted $1400 regular fee elk tags and $2000 special fee?
WYOGA Pres said that yes. I'm not 100% certain what Hicks offered in compromise, but I will try and find out. It was last night he contacted them.

But how does it work after the task force has made their decision and when do they have to make it?

Mr lehner was a teacher at the high school i attended. I would think he'll be fighting for the residents

IMG_3653.JPG
So let me see if I understand this correctly. You are going to buy the maximum amount of tags you can to prevent those tags from falling into the hands of non-residents? Smart, that is right out of the PETA play book. Buy tags and prevent them from falling into the hands of hunters. I am sure this will not affect me. Might be a kid somewhere that gets a extra weekend on his play station instead of enjoying the outdoors

So let me see if I understand this correctly. You are going to buy the maximum amount of tags you can to prevent those tags from falling into the hands of non-residents? Smart, that is right out of the PETA play book. Buy tags and prevent them from falling into the hands of hunters. I am sure this will not affect me. Might be a kid somewhere that gets a extra weekend on his play station instead of enjoying the outdoors
You nailed it. Like all old people one could twist this to hurting the future of hunting. You’re right. Fricking nailed it. Nothing, and I mean nothing, gets past you.

Buzz how do you sleep at night? Did you not realize your actions have resulted in the future generation not being into hunting?

I tell you what’s wrong with America. It’s that damn MTV!!!

You nailed it. Like all old people one could twist this to hurting the future of hunting. You’re right. Fricking nailed it. Nothing, and I mean nothing, gets past you.

Buzz how do you sleep at night? Did you not realize your actions have resulted in the future generation not being into hunting?

I tell you what’s wrong with America. It’s that damn MTV!!!
Instagram and sugar cereal. Rotting the minds of the youth.

If who ever is in charge of the "task force" was smart they would have a spokesperson for nonres hunters! Is there such a person on the task force?

Without a nonres spokesperson it really seems mute having a task force? None of the nonres issues and concerns can be discussed or addressed without this....it's pretty much one-sided.

My 2nd question is who decides who is on the "task force and who's in charge?" If it's ole Larry in charge you can bet it won't have any teeth once it gets to the legislature!

If who ever is in charge of the "task force" was smart they would have a spokesperson for nonres hunters! Is there such a person on the task force?

Without a nonres spokesperson it really seems mute having a task force? None of the nonres issues and concerns can be discussed or addressed without this....it's pretty much one-sided.

My 2nd question is who decides who is on the "task force and who's in charge?" If it's ole Larry in charge you can bet it won't have any teeth once it gets to the legislature!
Pretty sure it is the governor who appointed it.

Think it is a good blend of interests on the force. But really it should be focused on how to increase game populations. If that happens everything else takes care of itself.

While you're eating that tag soup, google the Task Force and find out.

No, I'm saying Residents need to start taking their 80% allocation that they're entitled to....ALL 80%.

None of your concern...keep your eyes on your own paper.

WOW, imagine that!

Newsflash, wildlife is held in trust for the CITIZENS of the state it resides in.

No chit there's not a non-resident on the WYOMING wildlife task force.

Maybe we should elect a Colorado Senator to serve in the Wyoming Legislature while we're at it.

Good grief...

Hmmmm. One month ago from Buzz. I guess that is ample time to change your mind on people should be able to shoot whatever they have a tag for:

"No, people need to practice a bit of self control and think about what they're doing....

If you need meat, kill 1, 2, or 3 cow elk a year. Elk eat way better and there's more of it. They're also easier to find. Or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 pronghorn you can get a year, also better eating than a mule deer." Buzz - 2021
Once again...context matters.

People whining about no big bucks in region G, then killing 4 small bucks to "fill tags".

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy different than someone being happy with killing any buck for meat.

nothing fast about a task force. I suppose MFF is going to recommend going to 90/10 and the tags taken from NRs goes to all those sick kids.

Let’s see the non residents cry about that. WTF you non ressy’s don’t think sick kids should get a chance to shoot a big bull from a wheelchair? Shame! Shame on you!

Just looked over the 18 person task force. Looks like the usual where the only spokesman for nonres is Ty Gilliland with the Outfitters. Nonres are once again at the mercy of the outfitters association, although so much is at stake for ALL nonresidents.

Wyo may own the wildlife but it's the nonres that support a major chunk of Wyo's wildlife revenue! In an 18 panel task force don't you think it would be wise that nonres voice is heard? I'm certain that senators that were flooded with nonres emails would agree that nonres are concerned with what is going on in the process and should be stake-holders in this process!

One thing I noticed is that all meetings will be open to the public and will allow significant public input and comment.

Since nonres don't have a spokesperson I would highly recommend all nonres to be willing and ready to submit comments!

Just looked over the 18 person task force. Looks like the usual where the only spokesman for nonres is Ty Gilliland with the Outfitters. Nonres are once again at the mercy of the outfitters association, although so much is at stake for ALL nonresidents.

Wyo may own the wildlife but it's the nonres that support a major chunk of Wyo's wildlife revenue! In an 18 panel task force don't you think it would be wise that nonres voice is heard? I'm certain that senators that were flooded with nonres emails would agree that nonres are concerned with what is going on in the process and should be stake-holders in this process!

One thing I noticed is that all meetings will be open to the public and will allow significant public input and comment.

Since nonres don't have a spokesperson I would highly recommend all nonres to be willing and ready to submit comments!
Did you hear what Landen said about all those NR emails?

He doesn't care....waste your time and get those NR emails in!

Did you notice Hicks is on the task force? That's a good deal for 90-10 and Resident hunters!

As an elected official in my home state, albeit at a level nowhere near state senator, I can assure you this is dream scenario for some of the politicians in these western states. When your revenue source is guaranteed and outside of your constituency, it's a great way to be Santa Claus by passing out the pork. One does not need to look very far in the current political landscape to see how the promise of XXX garners votes, witness the promise of $2000 checks.

It really comes back to a point that's been discussed ad nauseum here: is your only obligation as a state official in the United States of America to residents of your own state, or district, and how much do you respect the contributions of your fellow Americans outside that range. The second half of that is because you CAN do something do you HAVE to do something. That's something for each individual politician to decide.

I can guarantee you one other thing - there will never be enough revenue. If you doubled state X's budget for department Y tomorrow, they'll have it all spent in a year or two and be looking for more. I don't care if it is G&F, Transportation, or the Utility Commission. Again, it comes back to what do you want vs. what do you need. If written a blank check, government always needs more.

Frankly to think that you should have a say about what goes on in a state you don’t live in, is laughable! I apply for quite a few western states but not every one due what each state does individually. Never once have I thought that I should have any say in how another state chooses to manage its wildlife. While I’m sitting on a significant number of points in several states, they could raise prices or cut nonresident allocations and I’d have two choices: 1. Continue to apply 2. Drop out and lose my points. Either way I’d have no business trying to influence what Nevada or Arizona or Utah choose to do with their wildlife. If I wanted to influence that then I’d move there.

Frankly to think that you should have a say about what goes on in a state you don’t live in, is laughable! I apply for quite a few western states but not every one due what each state does individually. Never once have I thought that I should have any say in how another state chooses to manage its wildlife. While I’m sitting on a significant number of points in several states, they could raise prices or cut nonresident allocations and I’d have two choices: 1. Continue to apply 2. Drop out and lose my points. Either way I’d have no business trying to influence what Nevada or Arizona or Utah choose to do with their wildlife. If I wanted to influence that then I’d move there.
Nailed it!

I personally think NR’s need to continue working to maintain our hunting opportunities in states outside our own. Writing Wyoming legislators DOES help. I promise youI’ve written many and some do listen and can relate to our views. We’re not asking for increases in tags, but just asking them to do nothing, and doing nothing is easy. Just like with it this year. Do nothing for now.
I promise you, some do listen, so don’t give up on trying to preserve the opportunity we have. We’ll eventually lose, but maybe it’ll be down the road 10 years rather than 3.
And all that doesn’t just go for Wyoming. Dudes in Wyoming should be writing Utah politicians about issues here that impact them, like tag cuts, auction tags, etc.

I personally think NR’s need to continue working to maintain our hunting opportunities in states outside our own. Writing Wyoming legislators DOES help. I promise youI’ve written many and some do listen and can relate to our views. We’re not asking for increases in tags, but just asking them to do nothing, and doing nothing is easy. Just like with it this year. Do nothing for now.
I promise you, some do listen, so don’t give up on trying to preserve the opportunity we have. We’ll eventually lose, but maybe it’ll be down the road 10 years rather than 3.
And all that doesn’t just go for Wyoming. Dudes in Wyoming should be writing Utah politicians about issues here that impact them, like tag cuts, auction tags, etc.
All those contacts you made with Wyoming legislators made no difference in the end about you selling wildlife locations. But keep trying, I actually think it works in favor of state residents.

In Colorado, hunting is nearly a $1 BILLION dollar industry!

Colorado offers UNLIMITED elk tags to nonres and 20 to 35% of deer, elk, and antelope tags to nonres. Colo learned years ago how important nonres are to the revenue of the CPW and to local small town community economies.

Here's an interesting article about hunting revenue in Colorado.

According to the study, Larimer County generated $4.1 million in retail trade sales of hunting-related gear in 2013, the state's sixth-highest figure by county.

Hunting also creates 574 jobs in Larimer County, second to El Paso and Arapahoe counties.

For smaller Larimer County communities like Red Feather Lakes, or Walden in Jackson County 100 miles west of Fort Collins, the fall big-game hunting season is the lifeblood of the local economy.

"Hunting affects a lot of businesses, bars, restaurants, hotels, gas stations. Everybody gets a boost from the hunters," said James Carothers, owner of the Moose Creek Cafe in Walden. "It's our lifesaver."

Jims, Do you think residents don't spend money on hunting? You can get my wife's opinion on that. ;)

Also, I see 3 outfitters on the task force, not just Sy. Dube & Livingston are (or were) outfitters. So the non-res interests are well represented.

Jims, Do you think residents don't spend money on hunting? You can get my wife's opinion on that. ;)

Also, I see 3 outfitters on the task force, not just Sy. Dube & Livingston are (or were) outfitters. So the non-res interests are well represented.
Agreed Teepee. I support businesses, bars, restaurants, gas stations and hotels all across Wyoming during hunting season. What Jims article fails to tell us how much money comes from residents and how much from nonresidents. Totals mean nothing!

I see change in the future for sure. This bill is going to get through most likely not in its original form after it goes through the task force but something is going to come of it.

That's great news nonres have 3 outfitters on their side. I have some really good data on nonres vs res expenditures that ought to get a lot of attention! I'm not going to provide these on the web but am certain it will help the nonres cause!

I think it would be great if nonres can join together and get an early start on this so we can squish the 90/10 bug for good! I'm curious if there is a group that nonres can turn to that supports nonres hunters and the 90/10 issue? I have some novel ideas that I think will really work!

Just looked over the 18 person task force. Looks like the usual where the only spokesman for nonres is Ty Gilliland with the Outfitters. ...

I think it would be great if nonres can join together and get an early start on this so we can squish the 90/10 bug for good! I'm curious if there is a group that nonres can turn to that supports nonres hunters and the 90/10 issue?

If Sy is really a "spokesman" for NR, wouldn't he and WYOGA be the group to turn too? I mean just yesterday he said nr regular/special Elk tags should be $1,400 and $2,000 respectively. If that isn't a nr spokesman I don't know what is.

That's great news nonres have 3 outfitters on their side. I have some really good data on nonres vs res expenditures that ought to get a lot of attention! I'm not going to provide these on the web but am certain it will help the nonres cause!

I think it would be great if nonres can join together and get an early start on this so we can squish the 90/10 bug for good! I'm curious if there is a group that nonres can turn to that supports nonres hunters and the 90/10 issue? I have some novel ideas that I think will really work!
And therein lies our problem. NR are looking to join together but the resident hunters of Wyoming think we can continue to fight this fight on our own with no organization. Hell the WYOGA is only as powerful as they are because they are united. If the resident hunters of Wyoming came together, we could influence how our elected officials should properly represent us. Simply stated "they would represent their constituents of Wyoming". Not special interest groups and nonresidents. I would be a hypocrite if I said I didn't email about my distaste for the game cam ban bill in Utah. I may draw Utah once in my lifetime. I did that to help my friends in Utah as Sportsmen. I also added that I'm opposed to baiting except with bear hunting. You may disagree but thats ok. Wyoming residents definitely to be more organized next time this bill is heard.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom