Leica questions

Extrapale

I am considering a couple Leica binocs. The 12x50 HD Ultravid and the 10-15x50 Duovids. I have a hard time judging Binocs in a store.

I currently have Wind River Pinnacles 10x42. They are just ok, and I know there are signifigantly better options available.

On the Duovids at 10x, how good are they? Are they a lot better than my Pinnacles? Are they as good as 10x standard Ultravids? How are they on 15x? How do they compare to Swaros 15x56? Anybody have any field comparisons between these and the Leupold 10x17 switchpower unit?

On the 12x50 HD, can you do any glassing without a tripod?

I've glassed with them and they are much better than any Leupold I've ever seen. They are crystal clear on both 10 and 15. Yes they are as clear as Swarovski. Some may say they are clearer. I have owned the Swaros and I'd take the Duovids every time if they were the same price.

You can glass with out a tripod with the 12's but you'd be much more effective with the pod.

DBD

The Duovids I have used are on par with any binocular on the market... plus, the advantage of duo power for different viewing situations is fantastic. You won't be sorry with the Duovids! NJS

only downside to the Duovids are weight. I just got the Leica 10x42 Geovid with built in rangefinder.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands

While the Duovids are a few ounces heavier, carrying one binocular instead of two is an real advantage... Having one binocular for hand held viewing and a spot and stock binocular on a tripod all in one unit saves ounces and space in you back pack.... Something to think about... NJS

I can not tell the difference between the swaros and the leicas, but I can assure you won't be disappointed with the duovids. I was spotting deer with my brother one evening and spotted a deer some distance away with the duovids on 15X. He couldn't see the buck with his 10X and neither could I, and his binos are quality euro binocs. You definately have an advantage with the dual power. A little on the heavy side but good glass nonetheless. The duovids on a tripod craked up to 15x is awesome.

UPS delivered my 10x42 Geovid BRF's today, they replace Leupold Wind River Pinnacles. Big difference, the brightness, clarity and the ability to range game or whatever sold me. The factory rebate helps ease the purchase.

sidepass

I have used both the Duovid sizes and recently switched away from the 10-15x50s as my primary binos. They are outstanding glasses and utilize the Outdoorsmans tripod adapter and stud very well but (I know I am spiltting hairs here) they suffer an inferior FOV on 10x and inferior exit pupil on 15x. While they are compact for what you get, they are heavy.

But again, they take a backseat only to the Zeiss FLs which means they are extremely good glass and offer unique flexibility.

They are on a different level entirely from the Pinnacles.

The 12x50s are a good alternative and you could use them off hand but not for very long and not very effectively. They really deserve a tripod or you are not getting your oneys worth.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom