Leica spotter questions?

30inchbuck

I just got a pair of ultravids binos - love them. Now wanting a spotter to go with it.

Question is

APO vs not APO ?

I really am figuring on going with the APO but wanted to get some feedback.

Also angled vs straight ?

will probably go with the 77mm.

Also variable eyepiece or fixed?

There are lots of accesories, UV filters, ect.

Really what else do you need to get with your spotter?

I know a good tripod and mount are essential but maily asking about glass accesories?

I will probably have to make a 200 mile one way drive to goto a place that i could compare and look through some different ones. Just wanted to get some pointers on you guys that have one of these spotters.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-05 AT 06:28PM (MST)[p]30inch, I like the variable eyepeice because it so much easier to glass at 20 power especially if you see something with the naked eye or with the binos and you wanna find it with the spotter. Even 20 power can be a pain to find something every once in a while. When you do find something you can zoom right in on it.
Angled verse straight? I have an angled swaro and love it but it did take time to get used to it. You have some advantages and disadvantages with both. Sometimes while looking downhill it is hard to get the spotter low enough to compensate for the angled eyepeice but it is very nice when looking uphill. And some people have trouble finding stuff in the angled eyepeice but the comfort associated with it is very nice especially when using it for hours on end. Also it may be more of a pain to hook a camera or video camera to an angled scope but I don't know this for sure because I have not bought the attachments yet.
Apo? Well if your gonna be filming or taking pictures through your spotter then you will want APO. If not then you really can't tell a difference. On the other hand, if your gonna shell out the money for a badass spotter then why not pay the extra and get the biggest badest spotter you can get? Meaning the APO in Leica or HD in swaro. I did not get the HD in swaro but have not needed it and I'm very happy so far.
I've never looked into the filters so I cannot comment there.
I bought the protective cover that swarovski makes for my spotter. It is a form fitting shell that snaps over the already rubber covered scope. I figure that I'm going to do my best to protect my investment. Leica also has a cover for their spotters. Also, crooked horn makes a nice spotter and tripod carrier with a carrying strap that works pretty nicely.
Goodluck with your spotter. You won't be sorry for buying quality glass. fatrooster.

Thanks fatrooster.

I do want to do some filming / picture taking that is why I have already decided on the APO also straight will be easier to attach camera to.

Now it is down to accesories for it. Will check out crooked horn.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom