Leidy peak for Elk?

nv_hunter

Very Active Member
I'm joining some new family on there annual Elk hunt. They hunt near Leidy peak in the eastern park of the Uintas. Can anyone tell me what to expect from this area? Elk numbers? Bears or wolves to worry about. Were going the 11 the 16th so I'm hoping the ruts on. Is this area call shy? Thank you.

nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif

You hunting the Red Cloud Loop or Teepee Lakes side?

Some of the clear cuts east of Marsh Peak can have elk occationally above the Red Cloud Loop on the south side.

There are always elk along the canal from Teepee Lakes to Long Lake on the north side.

Both are just a matter of catching the elk when they are where you are.

Biggest bulls I've ever personally seen are a 315 or so on the north side and a 290 on the south side form those area's. Definitely not the norm though :)

Go have fun and keep the faith. There are lots of elk up there and it can be very fun if you get into them or horribly frustrating if you can't find them :)

Cheers,
Pete

people every where it will look like a punkin patch. good luck find a good game trail sit the idots will push them to you.

That bad even durring archery season?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/nv_hunter/nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif[/IMG]

You shouldnt have any bear troubles as long as you keep a clean camp. The elk will be call shy. They may talk, but working them in will be a challenge. Plan on seeing people. I dont know where you can go get away from them on the Uintas though. Most bulls will be spikes or raghorns. Anything near 300 will be very rare and abnormal. Another problem is that there is plenty of water. Good luck though, its a pretty area.

Biggest I have ever seen around that area is a 310-320 bull. I am usually happy to kill a spike and estatic about any branch anterled bull up there. My biggest is a 240 class 5x5 out of there. Can be really thick trees and rocky, especially above the teepes.

Get in the dark timber and spend the night. Find a good trail in there and wait for the pumpkins to get em movin. Might be hard to do, but you will see elk if you just sit tight by a good trail.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom