Leopard Charge!

I saw this video last November in South Dakota, Kevin Gross (Hunting with the Pros) brought it with along with others for all to watch. Scary stuff even when I watch it again. I had a friend that got chewed up by a big wounded male leopard in the late 60's and when you see the aftermath of what they do to humans puts things in a different perspective. By the way he survived to hunt another day despite nasty infections but assured me that had it been a lion instead of a leopard game would have been over.

Somebody is a screamer.

Cool vid. Nice professional quality to capture the hunt.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

Scary and funny at the same time. If I were in that situation I would be packing my 12ga. semi-auto Benelli B2 wtih 7 shoots of 3in. 00buck. He thought he was dead.

Looks like the cat had a bead on that guy from the start.

I'd probably be screaming like a school girl.

I think it's a good thing that leopard had a broken front shoulder (or leg).

I'm with peakfreak, I'll take the shotgun, thank you!

Eel

I don't know for sure, but I think the double rifle is a shotgun with rifle sights. When it shows him reloading, those sure look like shot shells instead of say a 500 Nitro Ex. They sure look a lot like 209 primers. Also, during the charge the shots from that rifle look like a shot pattern going through the bushes and grass.

It's easy to be an arm-chair PH sitting in front of a computer screen so I say this with a very open mind that I probably would like a large caliber double with soft softs and try to wait until the leopard was way close before firing.

In any case, I'm glad the fellow walked away from it. Sure a life time of campfire tales took place in just a few seconds there.

Happy hunting,

Todd

That side by side is a shotgun. When you miss, it doesn't really matter what you're shooting, and a shotgun pattern at that distance is no larger than a rifle. I've killed two leopards, and fortunately both were clean kills with no need for that type of follow up. If I were to follow one up, I'd be carrying the Beretta shotgun I've shot thousands of rounds through, but only because I shoot it like an extension of my arm. On a Botswana lion hunt in 1989, my 12 ga. Beretta was carried by one of the trackers every day that we were out lion hunting. After doing it, the only thing that shotgun would have been effective for would have been inside of 10 yards, or for shooting us to put us out of our misery before the lion did.

All the PHs that I know carry heavy rifles when following up leopards. One friend, Alan Vincent, killed two wounded leopards in 2006 or 2007, and he finished both with his .458. They carry those rifles every day, so they are the guns they know and shoot best.

In a charge, I'd be more worried about getting shot than killed by the cat.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom