Let's go fishing....

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
With National Go Fishing Day on June 18th, let's celebrate by sort of emulating the Post One Photo Per Day thread. In this one, however, post any images that are fishing related, including those showing off the catch, ie. dead & hero shots are OK. Include one or two lines of descrpition. And as in the other thread, please do not hijack the thread with other discussions unrelated to the posted images. Start a separate thread!

Let's try to stay with a couple per day apiece, tho. I'll start it off.

Lee's Ferry, AZ

LeesFerryC.jpg

Last edited:
A fellow outdoor writer, fishing buddy & friend for the last 40+ years, Joe Reynolds. He lives in Ocean City, MD. We've fished all over the states & Canada together; you'll see a lot of him in this thread. He's strictly a fly-fisherman.

Landing a white bass at Lake Pleasant, AZ

LkPleasantwhitebass.jpg

With those rods in the boat? I don't know if I should be proud of you or ashamed... :ROFLMAO:
Yuppers. Ugly Sticks with Abu-Garcia reels and Shakespear 17-lb. mono,. Fished that place three times, caught about 10 of those behemoths all over 50 pounds as well as several other smaller species and never lost any other hook-up. And on two of those trips, I fished alone, and I might as well have been alone when it came to landing one even when my wife fished with me one year.

The secret is knowing how to fish! When I hooked up, I would leave the motor in reverse with enough trottle to keep up with the fish with me standing on the rear seat & steering with my foot. It usually took me at least 20-40 mins. to wear the fish down after a couple runs.

The worse part of being alone was being able to grab the net, get it under the fish & then drop the rod so I could grab the rim of the big net with both hands. And then I had to get it over the gunnel, which was a chore for a skinny weakling like me. Once, I even had to get the handle of the net extended while hangimg on to the fish because I hadn't done it earlier.

Here;'s another one from a different trip. I believe this one was about 52 or 57 pounds. I was using a Zebo reel & Berkley rod with a longer handle on that trip. Same line, tho.

tonyking.jpg

Last edited:
The camera work on these posts are excellent. Between Blank and ODW meal threads and now these Post One A Day and Lets Fish posts, I have to say, I’m enjoying Forum.

Maybe it has something to do with age and perspectives.

Thanks for creating these threads Tony. You keep this site more interesting, in a good way!
I've had lots of practice.

Long before the web came into existence, in 1983 Joe Reynolds, the friend who is another outdoor writer from Maryland, and I started what was known as the Outdoors Forum on the Compuserve Information Service (CIS), which is now owned by AOL. Back then, everything was done in ASCII at an unbelievable modem speed of 12 baud per sec for downloading messages and replying offline. When it eventually jumped to 28, we all thought we had died and gone to heaven. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, we ran that forum for many years and eventually branched out to become 12 separate ones that included Hunting, Fishing, Cycling, Scouting, Birding, Environment, etc., etc. Even had Ted Nugent with his own message section in our Hunting Forum. We became the largest operators on CIS and continued to run our "empire" until AOL purchased CIS and discontinued paying its business partners. That was a span of about 15 years.

Here's Joe again...

Chunky rainbow trout -- San Juan River, NM

SanJuanRainbow1.jpg

Yeah, I can recognize trout. I was looking for a bit more specificity.
Rainbows and a couple of cutthroat. They drained our lake (Groundhog) a couple years ago (and will again this year) and opened it to fish salvage.

It was a muddy shoreline affair - hence the bucket. It took a six pack of time to catch that bucket full.

We are supposed to have significant fish die offs around here this summer because of low water, specifically the Dolores downstream from Mc Phee. They closed part of the Yampa to fishing already. :(

There‘re so many fishing threads going, I’m confused. And Tony’s even older that I am so I can see how he’s having trouble keeping up. :ROFLMAO:
I'm not having a problem keeping up. But some folks either have a reading comprehension problem or can't follow simple directions. :rolleyes:

As in the OP of the messages in the other sections that had the LINKS to this thread :

Campfire:
..wandering the halls, see the Let's go Fishing thread in the Photography section.

Great Outdoors:
...wandering the halls in this setion, see the Let's go Fishing thread in the Photography section.

And then this follow-up message in both:

C'omon peeps. I bet a lot of you have good fishing photos to share in the Let's go Fishing thread.

And while we're at it, the opening message of THIS thread in Photography:

With National Go Fishing Day on June 18th, let's celebrate by sort of emulating the Post One Photo Per Day thread. In this one, however, post any images that are fishing related, including those showing off the catch, ie. dead & hero shots are OK. Include one or two lines of descrpition. And as in the other thread, please do not hijack the thread with other discussions unrelated to the posted images. Start a separate thread!

Let's try to stay with a couple per day apiece, tho. I'll start it off.

Last edited:
This a scan of a snapshot...my oldest son & I on Big Lake, AZ. He was 7 or 8; he's now 58.

View attachment 42270
That’s cool. When I first saw the photo and the name Big Lake, I immediately thought Utah. There is a small reservoir above my home, on Monroe Mt...... that has a very similar shore line and the lake looks to be the same width.

Can’t decide which looks better the hat or the boat. Both classics.

Regardless, good job Dad!!

That’s cool. When I first saw the photo and the name Big Lake, I immediately thought Utah. There is a small reservoir above my home, on Monroe Mt...... that has a very similar shore line and the lake looks to be the same width.

Can’t decide which looks better the hat or the boat. Both classics.

Regardless, good job Dad!!
Sorry - I can read but I have comprehension issues. From now on it’s pictures only.

Easy boys, we all keep our closets arranged a little differently.... it’s all cool.

Good things going on here. ?

Besides, there is 56 fish pictures here so far. I know you started the thread but quit being such a forum nazi and enjoy the pictures we took the time to share with you
Everyone is always welcome to start their own threads.

Have a nice vacation. (y)

Last edited:
We have a irrigation pond that is almost 6 surface acres that was built in 1997, 93 acre feet of water. My son and I caught a bunch of small bass and catfish from my brothers pond and transferred them via ice chest full of pond water and this is the caliber of fish that we have now. I hope they survive the drought!

Bass.jpg

After the king salmon, these were my 2nd largest catch by species -- a 36 lb. (L.) & a 32 lb. (R.) lake trout from Toobally Lake, Yukon Terr. These are scans of not-so-hot snapshots my host had on his FB page. The biggest now hangs on my wall

TMLaketrout.jpg

Last edited:
This is the largest of 102 northern pike over 8 lbs. we landed in one day -- 7 a.m to 10 p.m. -- on a back slough off the Hotlitna River, AK. At 23 lbs. it 's largest of a couple thousand for me.

A not-so-good scan of a 35mm slide.

TonyAlaskaPike.jpg

On the wall in my original trophy room. I paint my own fish after they are mounted.

6163trophyr1[1].jpg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom