Let's see you junk!

Idahoron

Very Active Member
I mean your muzzleloaders, and your loads.
My Renegade is a rifle that I put together from spare parts, like a franken gun.
386767-big.jpg

The Barrel is a Green Mountain long range hunter Stainless steel 1-28 twist. It has a pachmyer slip on recoil pad.
The front sight is a Lyman 17 AML globe sight. I didn't like how big the bead was on the sight so I ordered a Lee Shavers sight set for a SHarps rifle. I use the post sight that is next to the cross hair on the bottom left.
409025.jpg

Sometimes I use the cross hair, it works great for hunting. I painted the inside of the globe white to reflect as much light as possable. I painted the cross hair and the post orange to see better. This gun is sighted in for 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 yards. All I need to do is use a range finder get the range and set the sight for the yardage. with the yardage set I hold dead on the target. No hold over is needed but wind playes a big role in hitting the target past 150 yards. I can hit 16oz pop bottles out to 150 yards. I can hit 2 liter bottles out to 200 yards, and milk jugs out to 250. Last week I sighted the rifle in for 300 yards. I haven't shot any jugs with it yet. I would like to sight it in out to 400 or 500 yards for fun only.

I tested a lot of powder and bullets for this gun. I tried Whites 460, and 440. I was using 777 with them and I didn't like that combo. I even had bullets tumbling when they hit the target. I tried No excuses bullets at the same time. Then I tried a hornady 385 and a 410 with pyrodex select. The 410 was the winner by far. I showed this group before but I will post again. this is my best group. My average for 10, 3 shot groups is 1.25"
393233.jpg

I also shot them through my Ohler 35 Chronograph. The average is 1500 feet per second. I got the B.C. from Hornady and ran the numbers through my Point blank balistics program.
The numbers are amazing.

yardage/ velocity/ Foot pounds of energy
0 / 1500 / 2048
50 / 1378 / 1730
100 / 1271 / 1470
150 / 1179 / 1265
200 / 1105 / 1111
250 / 1046 / 996
300 / 999 / 908

This is the best shooting muzzleloader I have ever shot of any kind. I am building another one for my son. I got the parts off ebay just like my first one. I have the LAST 1" stainless steel barrel green mountain produced and sold through them. This rifle will have double set triggers. My rifle was nick named the "far speaker" by a guy in the local muzzleloader club. My son's rifle will be "the flat lander" or "big medicine".
I will be finishing his rifle tomorrow if all goes well. Lets see yours. Ron

Idahoron,
Thanks for this additional post. I have nothing even remotely comparable, a stock TC hawken .54 and a TC black diamond .50 with a williams peep for a rear sight. I can't shoot like that yet either, but would like to. I need to shoot alot more.
About your rear sight there, is that a TC peep? or something else? your front sight idea is great with lots of options.
Thanks again.

That's a real nice setup. I use fiber-optics on one of my Renegades (50 with 1-28' twist) -- the other has a scope (58 with 1-70" twist). Both have Sims Limbsaver recoil pads.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

IdahoRon,

I have been inspired by your posts. I have recently aquired a T/C Hawken, a Green Mountsain LRH barrel, Lyman 17 AML and 57 SML sights and the Lee Shaver sight insert set. The 17 AML wont begin to fit the dovetail. I noticed that you used a dovetail file. Where can I obtain a dovetail file?

Thanks in advance, Smokepoler63

Brownells has the dove tail file you need. It is the #2 60 degree sight base file, number #080-648-060 on page 254 on catalog number 59. Brownells number is 800-741-0015
This file has three sides but only one side cuts. This gives you more controll. Don't file too much! If you are holding the rifle like you are going to shoot it start the sight into the dove tail on the right side. Like I said don't file much. Once you get it to start you will need to drive it on with a brass punch. It needs to go on very hard so it won't move after you install it.
Have you installed the 57 SML yet? Ron

No, I haven't installed the rear sight yet. I bought an old T/C Hawken off of gunbroker.com,(serial# 4624), that has some of the most beautiful wood I've ever seen on a muzzleloader, lots of figure in the rear of the stock, cheek pad up through the pistol grip. I'm in the process of refinishing the stock and re-blueing the tang. I'm going to do a multi-coat hand-rubbed oil finish. When I finish these steps I will install the sights. The wood on this stock is so pretty that I may have a hard time taking it hunting. I guess it will make for some great field photos, especially if I can bag a buck like your '06 buck. I will post photos of the finished rifle. Thanks for the information on the dovetail file.

Thanks again, Smokepoler63

Idahoron,

Would it be better to file the dovetail sight base or the dovetail slot on the barrel? I would feel more comfortable filing on a $30 sight's base than on a $200+ barrel.

ps. I am about halfway through my hand-rubbed oil stock refinish. The grain and figure of the wood are really starting to look nice. I have to be patient. The closer I get, the more I want to see the end product. I'll be uploading photos here in a few more weeks.

Thanks, Smokepoler63

I guess you could do either one. I just touched up the dovetail in the barrel just enough to get the sight started. Once it started I used a heavy brass punch and drove it on. It was hard but it needs to be. If you feel more comfortable filing the sight that would work too. I know where you are coming from.
The spacer I used under the front of the base is 0.033 thick. What I used was plumbers tape. The hole in the plumers tape is just right. Then I shaped the plumbers tape to look good under the sight. when the barrel is level the sight moves vertical pretty much level. With that thickness I can give you your distances. The load is 100 gr of Pyrodex select RS and a Hornady 410 gr 50 cal. A number 11 mag cap and GET A HOT SHOT NIPPLE!!!!! Oh also your ram rod will be too long. It needs to be 28" long. It will hang out over the end of the barrel. Is your ram rod aluminum?
I also altered the sight numbers a little.
I used a drill to make the top of the slot a little longer I will probably need to figure out how high that is by clicks so you are on. Once you sight in for 100 my scale should work.
At one hundred yards I use the first - past the 0 does that make sense? the third - mark is 150 yards. the 4th - mark is 200. The 6th - mark is 1- past the number 15. That is 250 yards. the 8th - mark is 3 past the number 15. This mark is 300 yards. I haven't got out to 350 or 400 yet. The wind playes a BIG factor. At 300 yards I can hit our iron buffalo about every time. it is about 15 x 15. I have hit it off hand a couple of times. At 150 yards and under I can hit pop bottels every time. Ron

Idahoron, I'm getting close to having my stock finished. If I didn't have to work for a living, I'd be done already. I found a new stainless steel Green Mountain LRH barrel since my last post.

I installed the front and rear sights. I shaved just a hair off of the front 17 AML dovetail base with a cutoff wheel in my Dremel tool. Then I installed the sight with a heavy brass punch. It went on very hard, but cleanly. Then I removed the brass markings with very fine steel wool. The 57 SML went on very cleanly. The tang was factory pre-drilled for a tang mount sight. There was no interferance with the wood, and the vertical adjustment was perpendicular to the horizontal barrel. No need for modification or shimming.

I really like the detent button for quick elevation adjustment. I like the fact that I'll be able to laser range a target, adjust my sight to the predetermined setting for the yardage, hold dead on and take the shot. I really like the Lee Shavers fine cross hair and fine post inserts. I always hated covering part or all of my target with the front post of my inline. I can already see that this will be a very accurate setup. Thanks for the help and information. I'll be posting photos of the finish rifle when it is complete.

Thanks again, Eric (Smokepoler63)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-07 AT 09:10AM (MST)[p]Man that is great you found a Stainless barrel. I was wondering when you posted you sold it. The older 1970's guns had the tang pre drilled. My son's double set trigger rifle was pre drilled but I still had to trim the sight to get it to fight right. Sounds like you are getting close to a finished product. Can't wait to see it. Ron

Smokepoler,
If you recently bought that barrel on ebay, you probably out bid me, I missed a 1" .50 caliber not to long ago, good job. Hope to see pics of your project gun soon!

No I am done with projects. That was some one else. Did you get the stainless barrel for your gun? The only project I have going is I am trying to mould my own bullets. I got a couple of moulds today. I have a company that will take a bullet and make a mould to copy it. Right now I am going to try the Lyman great plains bullet 395, and the Lee Real 320. Ron

I actually picked up a 15/16" .50 cal stainless barrel through a second chance offer from Midwest Shooters Supply through eBay. I had bid on a barrel, got outbid, then received an email with a second chance offer for another barrel several days later. I got the barrel for $181.51 plus shipping. Not bad considering the barrel retailed for $267 something and is no longer manufactured. I'm nearing completion on the rifle project. I'll have photos up soon. Getting very excited about the finished rifle.

Smokepoler63

Well IdahoRon, here it is. I finally finished my rifle project. I haven't had it to the range yet, but I did finish the hand rubbed oil stock and get it all put together. Here are some photos of the finished product. Cant wait to go shoot it.

Muzzleloader1.jpg

Muzzleloader2.jpg

Muzzleloader4.jpg

Muzzleloader6.jpg

Muzzleloader5.jpg

Now you can see what I meant when I said it had pretty wood. I'm very excited to hunt with it. I should be as accurate as it is pretty. Hope I can draw some quality hunts now.

Smokepoler63

Holy Smokes!
That is gorgeous!
That maybe the prettiest piece of wood I've ever seen on a muzzleloader!
Post a target when you get a chance to shoot it.
Thanks

That is amazing wood. The grain looks almost 3-D Was that the stock that came with the rifle?
Now you got an amazing looking rifle you won't want to take it hunting. Try 100 gr of pyrodex select and a Hornady 410.
If you have not changed the nipple yet do it. Put on a Hot Shot. If you spit patch or use window cleaner make sure you run a dry patch down the barrel and snap a couple of caps. The patch should have a nice burnt spot. Also i like the number 11 mag caps.
I am going to try to get out to shoot some of my bullets I made this weekend. Ron

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-07 AT 01:57AM (MST)[p]Idahoron,

Yes, this is the stock that came with the rifle. It is an old Thompson/Center factory rifle/stock with a very low 4 digit serial number. They must of let some very nice wood out the door in the early days. I may need to pick up a backup/hunting stock. I will if I can find one reasonably priced.

I've got both Pyrodex Select and Triple 777. I remember you saying you didn't have good results with the Triple 777. I have 410 gr. Great Plains bullets, all lead Power Belts, and some Buffalo bullets. As soon as I can get a calm day I'll be heading to the range. I was going to try the Hot Shot nipple and also a musket cap nipple. I'll keep you posted on my results.

I started another thread on the general hunting forum.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID5/9635.html

I gave you all the credit for getting me started on this project and thanked you for all your advice, help, and answers to my questions. I really do appreciate your help and advice. I really like this setup and look forward to taking it afield. I hunted with a Hawken that I put together from a kit back in the late 80's early 90's. In fact, I took my first Long Hunter Society record book muley with a patched .54 cal round ball at 68 yards.

Thanks again and keep in touch, Smokepoler63, Eric

ps. The edit is for this ps. Let me know how your cast lead bullets work out. I may get into this more than I originally thought. I would be interested in your results. Where did you get the molds and how many bullets can you cast at a time. I can see this can become an addicting hobby. I like to fly fish and I get way more satisfaction catching trophy class fish on my own hand tied flies and on a custom rod that I built myself. I'm thinking this muzzy hunting could turn into the same sort of passion.

The last time I was out we tested some 777 over the chronograph. This was out of a 21" barrel White mountain carbine. 85 gr of 777 went 1550!
I told himm to back it off and he didn't. Two shots later the stock broke. in you gun start off at 70 gr.If I remember right 75 gr was the same as 100 gr of pyrodex. That day I shot some all lead PB but I took off the plastic and put a felt wad under it. They shot pretty good at 100 yards.
The two moulds I got were Lyman 395's and a lee REAL 320 gr.
I hope to get out tomorrow. Ron

I mean your muzzleloaders, and your loads.
My Renegade is a rifle that I put together from spare parts, like a franken gun.
386767-big.jpg

The Barrel is a Green Mountain long range hunter Stainless steel 1-28 twist. It has a pachmyer slip on recoil pad.
The front sight is a Lyman 17 AML globe sight. I didn't like how big the bead was on the sight so I ordered a Lee Shavers sight set for a SHarps rifle. I use the post sight that is next to the cross hair on the bottom left.
409025.jpg

Sometimes I use the cross hair, it works great for hunting. I painted the inside of the globe white to reflect as much light as possable. I painted the cross hair and the post orange to see better. This gun is sighted in for 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 yards. All I need to do is use a range finder get the range and set the sight for the yardage. with the yardage set I hold dead on the target. No hold over is needed but wind playes a big role in hitting the target past 150 yards. I can hit 16oz pop bottles out to 150 yards. I can hit 2 liter bottles out to 200 yards, and milk jugs out to 250. Last week I sighted the rifle in for 300 yards. I haven't shot any jugs with it yet. I would like to sight it in out to 400 or 500 yards for fun only.

I tested a lot of powder and bullets for this gun. I tried Whites 460, and 440. I was using 777 with them and I didn't like that combo. I even had bullets tumbling when they hit the target. I tried No excuses bullets at the same time. Then I tried a hornady 385 and a 410 with pyrodex select. The 410 was the winner by far. I showed this group before but I will post again. this is my best group. My average for 10, 3 shot groups is 1.25"
393233.jpg

I also shot them through my Ohler 35 Chronograph. The average is 1500 feet per second. I got the B.C. from Hornady and ran the numbers through my Point blank balistics program.
The numbers are amazing.

yardage/ velocity/ Foot pounds of energy
0 / 1500 / 2048
50 / 1378 / 1730
100 / 1271 / 1470
150 / 1179 / 1265
200 / 1105 / 1111
250 / 1046 / 996
300 / 999 / 908

This is the best shooting muzzleloader I have ever shot of any kind. I am building another one for my son. I got the parts off ebay just like my first one. I have the LAST 1" stainless steel barrel green mountain produced and sold through them. This rifle will have double set triggers. My rifle was nick named the "far speaker" by a guy in the local muzzleloader club. My son's rifle will be "the flat lander" or "big medicine".
I will be finishing his rifle tomorrow if all goes well. Lets see yours. Ron
My muzzleloader is called the mother it use's 350 grains of 3 f. And 12oz led

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom